“Shabby is an understatement”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Royal Tandori

The Royal Tandori
Ranked #205 of 447 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Derbyshire
“Shabby is an understatement”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Whenever I look for a restaurant the first impressions count for me. Well externally this place is nothing special but I noticed the 5 star hygiene rating on the window so thought We'd give it a try.

I have never been in a restaurant quite like it. It is no exaggeration to say this place looks like it wanted a refurb 25 years ago! There was a huge damp patch on one of the walls which had been shoddidly papered over. I could go on and on. The food was just ok but what really spoilt it for me was the thought of what the kitchen must be like whilst eating.

Amazingly this place was busy with what seemed to be regulars. What must there own homes be like!

• Visited December 2013

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We went to look round Lincoln Markets last night and wanted to go for an Indian meal before hand. On previous visits to Lincoln I have noticed an Indian restaurant called Bombay. When I checked online the reports seemed terrible and said to avoid that place. I found the Royal Tandori as an alternative restaurant to go to and the reviews were great online. The placed looked nice from the outside but when we were shown to our table the table cloths were filthy and the staff didn't seem that polite. I ordered tandoori chicken which usually comes diced on a sizzle plate in other restaurants but here the meat was still on the bone which wasn't very good. The only good comment I can say is that at the end of the meal they bring you a complimentary drink of baileys which I love. But I am sorry no amount of baileys would make me go back to this restaurant in the future. The toilets in the restaurant could only be described as old and disgusting and needed some serious modernisation.
Overall not a good experience another place to avoid for me........

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Emma F
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“BEST IN THE AREA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Definitely the best in Lincoln first class service and big tasty portions you never go away hungry always great service and great value don't go anywhere else .

• Visited October 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I visited this restaurant a couple of weeks ago in a party of four. It was a Thursday night and the only other customers were a group of five lads, so we didn't experience any of the delays that other reviews have mentioned. The other table had obviously had a few beers as they were a bit boistrous but the waiter didn't mind seating us a few tables away from them.

Others have mentioned the decor but I don't go to restaurants for the surroundings. As long as the place is clean, I'm fine. It's true it is a bit dated but the place was clean in general and at our table.

We all opted for a starter and main course with rice and naan bread. I had a Kebab Mix starter followed by a Chicken Tikka Massala with Garlic Naan.

My starter was a bit disappointing as it wasn't really a kebab mix. It consisted of a couple of small pieces of chicken tikka, a thin piece of kebab made from lamb mince (shami kebab I think) about three inches long, and two onion bhajis with a bit of lettuce and slice of cucumber on the plate as a side salad.

It tasted alright with some mint sauce but I wouldn't say it was particularly flavoursome. It didn't really have any spice to it and I would have liked a few pieces of lamb tikka on the plate too.

My main course was also underwhelming. The portion was reasonable but not generous. The chicken itself was cooked nicely enough though it was not as warm as the sauce so it seems they cook the chicken separately and then just pour whatever sauce the customer has ordered over it. This would also account for why the the chicken hadn't absorbed any of the sauce flavours into the meat itself. I'm sure they're not the only Indian restaurant that does this as there are so many different sauces used in Indian cuisine, but surely Massala is one of the most popular dishes and would warrant creating a batch of it's own with the meat actually cooked in the sauce?

The sauce itself was a bit watery (even the stuff you get in a jar has more consistency) so I think maybe it had been watered down a little to make it go further. I also found it quite bland with none of the spice I usually expect from Indian food. I don't mean it should be hot, I just felt the food didn't really have much flavour.

The rice was decent enough but that's not what you go to an Indian restaurant for and the portion could have been a bit bigger. The naan bread was okay too but didn't have much garlic in it so it tasted more like a plain naan.

The service was good enough on the whole. We were seated quickly and the courses came out fast enough though, again, there was only one other table to serve. The staff didn't really talk to us other than the basics (showing us to seats, taking the order and bringing the bill.) They didn't ask how the meal was or if we had been to their restaurant before etc. That's not a problem but it didn't help to create any sense of atmosphere.

Our bills came to around £20 per person excluding drinks. I feel that was a bit expensive for what I had, both in terms of quantity and quality of food. It wasn't a rip-off but I feel the meal would be more accurately priced around £12-14.

Overall, I would say it's a very average place. The food is very much take-away quality and lacks the extra touch that you expect in a sit-down restaurant meal. The portions were just about adequate but not quite worth the price and there's nothing really to encourage return visits.

If someone asked me if the Royal Tandoori is any good, I would tell them it's alright but a bit bland. If they asked me to recommend a restaurant in Lincoln, it wouldn't be this place.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jason W
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
“Probably the best in Lincoln”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We often eat at the Royal Tandori as a couple and to be fair usually eat there on a Saturday night. I even had my stag do here.
The staff are great. Nothing is too much trouble. They are friendly without being intrusive and always remember us.
Yes, the décor is a bit dated but once you start tucking into the enormous portions of tasty food you don't notice it. The pickle tray is certainly the best you'll come across for miles around. We have never eaten even a "so so" meal there. The food is always, fresh, hot and very, very tasty. A nice touch is the complimentary shot and Turkish delight at the end of the meal.
We think that the whole experience is excellent value for money and will keep on going back.

• Visited September 2013