“A Real Greek Jewel In A Lonely Lincolnshire Sea”

Gabby's Greek Taverna
Ranked #38 of 455 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sofia, Bulgaria
“A Real Greek Jewel In A Lonely Lincolnshire Sea”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I've lost count of how many times I've been to Gabby's but every visit has been a pleasure. Even in the immediate aftermath of a burglary, the cooking has always been deliciously dependable, the portions substantial and the welcome open and genuine.

Everything on the menu is sure to appeal and the "old favourites" (kleftiko, meze etc) are spot on. Gabby's approach is to make you feel a part of the family and to really talk to you rather than mumble "Is everything alright?" with a glance that dares you to say no, as so many others do. Sadly, she doesn't stock my favourite brand of Retsina - Kourtaki, if you're reading this, Gabby ;) - but that is the only fault I've found so far....

It's a pity (for us diners at least) that Gabby doesn't usually open during the day but it is an open secret that she WILL open at lunch-time for parties of 10 or more - even on Christmas Eve for example, so don't hesitate to ask if she's keeping a tally for the day you are thinking of!

Comparisons, they say, are odious so I will limit myself to saying that Gabby's is unquestionably THE premier Greek restaurant in a county in which this cuisine is extremely lacking.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Home cooking and attentive hosts”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Visited on a Tuesday evening when we were the only diners! I suggest you don't be put off by the area and outside of the restaurant - it's worth venturing in. This place is quite small and intimate and we received lots of attention from the owner (Gabby?) as it was our first visit. My daughter is a vegan so I asked Gabby to point out if there was anything we ordered that contained dairy or eggs - she said that when we visited next time, we should ring up ahead and remind her about the vegan diet and they would prepare some special food for my daughter - how nice! The menu isn't extensive but what is there is all home cooked and freshly prepared. My daughter had a few mezze dishes (Gabby said leave it to her!) including mushrooms, vine leaves and houmous with pitta and salad. The other 2 of us went for the kleftiko - wonderfully slow cooked baby lamb on the bone with rice. I ordered salad to go with this - came with lovely fresh feta and some tzatziki. Too much for us to eat but Gabby was absolutely fine with us taking the remains home in our specially brought boxes (we are small eaters so came prepared). We had Greek wine and sparkling water with this - we choose the dryer Aphrodite - light and good. My family had (I was stuffed by then) baklava and ice cream and cherries for puds. An original and interesting evening. Would go back - perhaps on a busier night so that we didn't feel quite so much the focus of attention! Such friendly hosts though - Gabby did her crocheting on the table behind us whilst we were eating and chipped into the conversation during the evening - definitely not an upright English type of evening. Website www.gabbysgreekrestaurant.co.uk. No 376A High Street opposite the church.

• Visited September 2013
LINCOLNSHIRE
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I celebrated my 40th Birthday at Gabby's , there were 24 of us in total including fussy eater's and My Aunt is vegetarian . Gabby cater's for everyone , most of us opted for the Meze, amazing value , lovely fresh food , we were all stuffed . I couldn't of wished for a better evening, plate smashing and Greek dancing, Gabby even got my partner dancing :-) , I highly recommend Gabby's , this is the 2nd visit and would love to go again. Thank you so much Gabby for making my 40th unique . Helen xx

London, United Kingdom
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We booked Gabby's Greek restaurant because of the good reviews it received on Trip Advisor. It was our first visit to Lincoln and we wanted to use a local restaurant rather than a chain.
We shared the Meze starter which was OK and reasonable value but both main courses were a real disappointment. We go to Greek restaurants regularly and have been going to Greece every year on holiday for 40 years so we do know how Greek food should taste. The beef stifado had carrots in it (not onions or shallots as it traditionally should) and tasted like a beef stew with no spices or flavour at all. The chicken we ordered was just a big lump of chicken with rice and the the roast potatoes were greasy.
We sent both courses back and only paid for the starter and the bottle of retsina (which we took away with us as wed didn't have time to drink it).
We wouldn't recommend this restaurant to any-one who wants a traditional, tasty Greek meal.

grantham
“Fantastic atmosphere”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Visited for my sisters 40th. There was 24 of us in total (and some really fussy eaters) we all went home absolutely stuffed. Gabby is a fab host - greek dancing, plate smashing and happy birthday songs and cocktails. Fantastic experience!