“New Year ruined”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Oh dear - exquisite food overshadowed by appalling management decisions. Yes the food here was everything we had been lead to expect but maybe we should have paid more attention to what was said (or unsaid) The e-mail confirming our New Year meal told us that the live jazz band would "play until the late hours" and technically they did ie finishing at 11.40pm but this is NOT what you expect at a New Year function. The day before we had popped into the hotel to confirm our booking and we asked the manager on duty "what time things started to pack up on NYE?" - just so that we knew when to book a taxi. Again we should have picked up on his reply "Oh it's over pretty quickly after midnight" - and it certainly was. I've never paid for a meal on NYE where Auld Lang Syne hasn't been played and inevitably this overshadowed anything that had been good about the meal. Add to this the cynical refusal to turn on the air conditioning (I thought keeping somewhere uncomfortably hot was the preserve of seedy bars and night clubs to force the punters to drink more)
So - whilst the food would get an unquestionable 5 rating the whole experience was VERY, VERY poor making this our worst ever New Years "Celebration" and an atrocious start to 2013. The Reform needs to reform its ideas.

SarahA, Owner at Reform restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I understand the importance of New Years Eve so I am sorry that you are left feeling as you do. We said in all our literature and commincation that our New Years Eve offering was always going to be about the food - we are after all a Restaurant - so I am glad that you enjoyed your meal.
We only offered 'Live Entertainment' but we were let down at the last minute so had to find a substitute which we felt were not upbeat enough to bring in the New Year and though our guests would prefer music more fitting for the occassion. New Year was brought in with the toll of Big Ben which was followed by Auld Lang Syne as this is what we do every year to coincide with the Cathedral bells.
With regard to the air-conditioning - we do not have air-conditioning in the Restaurant unfortunately so therefore would not have been able to accomdate this request.
I apologise again about the dissapointment with the jazz band, we had done our best to find a late substitute but this is never easy for such a big occassion.
Thank again for your feedback and I hope fellow readers take it in context.

There are newer reviews for Reform restaurant

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've been hearing good things about The Reform recently so thought I would give it a try.

The online blurb says the head chef is from the excellent Cafe Bleu in Newark, so my hopes were high, and I was largely not disappointed.

The restaurant itself is nicely set out, with tables not too close to each other and the staff were all very helpful.

There were three of us and we all chose different items from the short, but exciting menu. All the dishes were well presented and all but one were of a very high standard. The disappointment was a pancake based main course, which showed clear signs of having been back in the oven after being plated, which is not what I expect when I am paying nearly £50 a head including wine.

In summary, this is an excellent, if expensive restaurant and well worth a try for a fine dining experience in Lincoln.

2  Thank Tim_H_from_Lincs_UK
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Excellent ambience, very attentive staff, food fabulous and what you would expect from a high class restaurant. Should have a Michellin Star!. Been a few times and always come away feeling as if I have been somewhere very special. Its not pretentious or overbearing, just a really lovely place to eat really fantastic food. You get what you pay for. Its not cheap but comparing it to other restaurants its worth every penny. You may pay around an extra £20.00 per couple than you would elsewhere. Pay it and experience a fab evening.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My friend and I decided to pop into Reform for lunch while we were shopping in Bailgate. What a lovely restaurant! My friend is vegetarian and gluten free and so is difficult to feed - no problem for the chef he made her a special lunch, which was utterly delicious. I had a simple mascapone and spinach pancake in a tomato and telaggio sauce - divine! I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant, the staff are friendly and efficient, decor is tasteful and it is very handy for the lovely bailgate area of lincoln.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Very nice place and staff pleasant. Xmas day lunch cost £79.95. Quite expensive but it is Xmas day.

First course, quite good, I had the scallops with terrine on a beetroot puree. First off I had never had scallops before, so decided to give them a try. Hmmmm, no apparent taste and the beetroot puree must have walked through the beetroot on stilts, pretty tasteless. My wife had the pork belly and that was very good.

Main course. Usually traditionalists my wife and I went for the fillet steak instead of 'jambonette of turkey. Very good steak cooked to perfection on a bed of garlic buttered kale and rosti potato. No chance it was in a garlic butter, pretty tasteless kale.Steak to state again was excellent.

Dessert .Colstan Bassett Stilton parfait, very good again but served with a huge slice of brown bread........oh for 'crackers'....The bread was hard work and not for a dessert.The passion fruit tart was excellent.

Generally an OK meal, appreciated it was Christmas day, well done serving staff, but I was slightly disappointed in the meal overall. My wife actually thought it was a fantastic meal, so we will go with her comments

1  Thank Graham C