“Couldn't fault it!”

Jews House Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 470 Restaurants in Lincoln
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Housed in one of the oldest buildings in the beautiful and historic city of Lincoln, with food from award winning Chef Gavin Aitkenhead and exceptional service from Samantha Tomkins and her team, The Jews House Restaurant offers the finest food served by the friendliest staff in a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Here at the Jews’ House our aim is quite simple: To give you an experience you remember for its remarkable flavours and polished, attentive service. Gavin’s food, Samantha’s service – the Jews House
Reviewed December 12, 2013

“I visit the Jews House fairly often – it’s the best in Lincoln. I popped in for lunch on the Friday of the Christmas market not knowing what to expect because the city is always heaving and a lot of places lower their standards. While the Jews House menu had changed, there was certainly no lowering of standards of food or service. The stilton mousse was so good – smooth and creamy - the chicken was perfect. Beautifully moist and succulent and plenty of it.

The lunch portions are not huge but who needs a huge meal at lunchtime? There was plenty for me and I didn’t really have room for a dessert, although I couldn’t resist trying my husband’s yummy sticky toffee pudding.

When I could force my attention away from my plate and look around me all I noticed were other diners contentedly tucking in with no signs of complaint. If the earlier reviewer was really served uncooked chicken, why did they not mention it when it was first served, that way the chef would have had the opportunity to rectify the problem.

If you want to stuff your face with huge platefuls of food then the Jews House Restaurant is not for you, but if you want excellent quality food and good service then give it a try.”

1  Thank Margaret S

Reviewed December 8, 2013

It was a special Christmas Market menu, which could have meant lower standards. But the duck starter was succulent and beautifully cooked with Jerusalem artichokes and the Stilton mousse was sharp and pungent with the necessary freshness provided by slices of green apple and perfectly pickled walnuts (at least, that's what my daughter says). My main course was delicious and quite unusual: cod with chick peas, which were nutty and served in a tomato sauce. My daughter had boeuf bourguignon, which was "well good". At first the service was almost over-attentive but they calmed down eventually and left us to our coffee and liqueurs. I do understand a little of what the very negative reviews say about the young man who welcomes guests - he's not the most inspiring of hosts - but that didn't detract from the quality of the meal.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

When we arrived we were greeted by one of the front of house having words with the chef over a table wanting extra vegetables. We were shown to our table, friendly service. Good starters, my celeriac and wild mushroom soup was lovely but for the quality we both felt the main courses were not worth the money. My friend had corn fed chicken, I had cod with chickpeas. The chickpeas were hard. Within the space of 10 minutes we were asked 3 times if we wanted dessert, after each time requesting a break before deciding. I wouldn't return. Shame.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had visited the Jews House on several previous occasions and were so looking forward to our lunch this week. It would seem that the restaurant has changed hands recently and not for the better. We were shown to our table by a young man who mumbled when he spoke. When asked if a house wine was available he had to repeat his respone as not one of us had understood. We ordered our starter and main course. The starters arrived and were good. We had all ordered the corn fed chicken as a main course and when it arrived it was barely warm! The vegetables were so hard that they could not be cut and the chicken was not cooked properly. The owner of therestaurant insisted that corn fed chicken was always pink when cooked. It was not even possible to cut the chicken as it was so raw. On each of our plates we had about a third of a breast and a thigh bone - hardly what anyone would expect for the price. There were only three tables occupied dring our visit and on the other two tables wrong meals were delivered. When we complained about our meal we were given a 10% discount only. What an absolutely awful expeirence.

2  Thank susanbentley1949
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

An excellent lunch again, such a lovely restaurant with great food and great service. The chicken starter wasn't quite to the standard of my first visit but wouldn't put me off going back.
For less than £50 in total we had 3 courses with wine and coffee.
Each course is perfectly sized for lunch giving you all the taste and enjoyment and allowing you to indulge in dessert but without leaving you feeling stuffed so you can carry on and enjoy a day round the city.
Thoroughly recommended.