“Should be better”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Should be better”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Great position right on the waterside lots of restaurants within easy walking distance, perfect for a spot of shopping.

Parking available at the rear of the hotel £5 a night extra, ran by a parking company so make sure you register properly.

Public areas: very limited with no lounge and a small reception. Internal entrance to a Starbucks and a sports bar. The sports bar seemed to be manned by Holiday Inn staff was smart and bright with comfortable sofas. Large screen TV with a constant feed of Sky Sports. As this bar was serving as the only public area I am not convinced this will suit everyone (Not everyone wants sport all the time) although pleasant enough. All reception staff were very helpful and keen to please.

Bedrooms: Typical Holiday Inn Room (An ex Travel Agent of 25+ years experience) clean comfortable, acceptably sized but minimalist décor. Good sized and modern Samsung flat screened TV, huge boat sized comfortable bed. Not one drawer in the whole room ??. Smart little bedside reading lights. Big thing made of 7 different types of pillows being available ?? (random or what?)
Bathroom: Small functional and clean. Nasty permanent stain round the plughole (Room 204) and a hideous yellowed plastic hair-dryer.

Breakfast and Xmas Dinner: Meals were taken on a mezzanine floor above the sports bar, the area was pleasant although the lack of festive decorations was disappointing; the views over the waterside area were very uplifting. The food at breakfast was excellent and plentiful although why the aircon was freezing everyone and we had to suffer background potted music I do not know. The Xmas dinner was a mixed bag. The food was quite good although when my wife asked what she had ordered and what the soup was (she had pre chosen 3 months earlier) the pig ignorant staff member said she didn't know and walked off, no apology or attempt to ask anyone else! During the meal there was no background music so the festive feeling was lacking. The dance part of the evening was a bit of a joke, 2 DJ's plus rig were set up at the bottom of the stairs in the sports bar and clearly had no idea what they were doing, the music switched from genre to genre with little or no pattern and certainly no idea of how to get a party started. Worse still the dance floor blocked the main thoroughfare from the entrance of the bar to the hotel so you had strangers walking though the middle of the dance area whilst you were trying to dance.

Facilities: Most of the facilities were available via the remote control on the TV, although my parents would have struggled to navigate this and may not have been able to watch the TV at all. A bit less reliance on the TV remote would have been more palatable. Now my personal gripe! - £15.00 a day for internet, come on UK hotel market WAKE UP .. 7 choices of pillows could have paid for my meagre internet needs, FREE down at MacDonalds, FREE everywhere in the USA.

Summary: Brilliant position, facilities would not suit everyone - the midweek business traveller would probably be very happy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear JoeyVincent,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. We are delighted to read you liked our location. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I've been staying here for the month room was always cleaned great location food could be better not the worst I've had but more choice would be great staff were very friendly especially Kayleigh and Connor these two are a credit to the holiday inn.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Itfc74
Andrew T, Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Itfc74

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback regarding your stay with us. It is pleasing to hear that you found the room to be clean and the hotels location to be great. It is obviously most pleasing to read that you found Kayleigh and Connor to be so responsive.

When people stay with us for extended periods of time the menu can soon seem sparse, should you stay with us again for any length of time be sure to speak to any of the team and we will be happy to provide bespoke dishes for you.

I look forward to seeing you in the future.
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Just had a 1 night break at this hotel,just wanted somewhere central,good price and parking. It didnt dissapoint.. Spotless,friendly staff..breakfast was gorgeous and the staff couldnt do enough for you. Cant wait to come here again,and Lincoln is beautiful place.

• Stayed December 2013
GW1980

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and hopefully you’ll be able to spend a little longer with us to see all that the hotel and Lincoln has to offer.

Thank you again.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I didn't stay at this hotel, but have just attended our works Christmas meal! Well I use the term meal very loosely! I have received better quality food at 2 for £10 venues. I don't like huge meals anyway, but even for me they were tiny. The food was cold, nothing as described in the menu and if I had 3 slices of carrot I was lucky. The dessert was a Lemon n Lime Tart, with soggy pastry that came out warm, probably warmer than the Main Meal. They couldn't even supply cream with your dessert. For some reason the tart had a strange flavour of aniseed to it! Bizarre! My friends husband had to send his meal back as it was cold, and I could see several other meals going back too! Meals came out missing potatoes, all 3 small ones at that! Apparently the Gents toilet facilities were disgusting too! Well Holiday Inn if that is all you can offer, I don't think you will be seeing any of our party again in a hurry! I did ask to see the manager, who was a waste of space, and all he could do was apologise and say we would have to contact the party organiser! Oh yes don't worry we all will be! I think this has to be the worst meal at a Christmas party I have ever had! If they can't cope with this volume of people then they shouldn't offer to cater for such large parties! AVOID EATING HERE!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Lisa H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G
Cromer, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Last year I gave this hotel a really good review, and that hasn't altered. However, I didn't mention that we'd had a problem booking in, because I thought it was a one-off, but went to stay there this year and again had the same problem booking in. Again they had no record of our reservation and whilst we were at the front desk sorting it out, several guests returned to reception to say the room they were given already had people in them! The person who attended to us was a girl called Gemma, and she couldn't have been nicer or more polite. It's not her fault that the Holiday Inn booking system is faulty. Once we were finally in our room, with which we were very happy, we had the experience of someone having been given our room! Then about an hour later, a woman from housekeeping opened our door and walked in, and she was really surprised to see us there as she thought the room was empty! Not good at all. So Holiday Inn, if you're reading this you have to get your act together! Apart from that, our stay was just as good as last year, I can recommend this hotel wholeheartedly. We were on a special deal which included dinner on one night and that was really delicious. Just be prepared for and anticipate possible problems when you book in.

Lia H

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your stay with us, I am pleased that on the whole your stay was everything you expected. It is pleasing to hear that you would recommend the hotel to others and that you found the meal to be delicious.

Obviously on the other hand it is disappointing to hear that you experience problems checking in on two consecutive occasions. This is not the norm and the procedures have been looked at recently, I offer my most sincere apologies for this experience. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and we can put right that final thing to make your stay as perfect as it should be.

Thank you once again for you comments and I look forward to seeing you in the future.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I always book this hotel as it is in an excellent location for exploring the town, but I wasn't impressed this time. The room was mostly fine although the bath needed a good clean and I spent ages trying to work out where the flush was for the toilet (behind the shower curtain).
Check in was ok. Although the key didn't work so I had to go back downstairs to get a new one.
They charge for wifi in the hotel, which I can't believe when they charge so much for the hotel rooms.
The breakfast was excellent as ever, although on the second morning they poured me tea but didn't give me any milk. After 5 mins, I asked where the milk was for my tea, they said to get a glass of milk.
In the bathroom, the toiletries include handwash by the sink and all in one showergel/shampoo by the bath. However, on the second morning, there was no showergel left, which meant I had to get out the bath to get some handwash to use.

When I checked in, I was not told the check out time, so I looked round the room and on the back of the door there was a sign clearly saying that the check out time was 1300. So having spent my morning shopping, I went back and just got out the shower when I got a phonecall to say that check out was at 1200 and I needed to vacate the room. When I said there was a sign on the back of the door saying it was 1300, she basically said I had misread the sign and that was for people who had arranged late check out. This was not the case - it said 1300 unless a late checkout had been arranged. Her attitude was rather rude so I ensured I took a photo to prove to her that it was the sign that was wrong. I then rushed to pack my bags and vacated the room with soaking wet hair and generally looking a complete state. Arriving in reception, there was a large party wanting to check in and she made them say out loud the checking in and out times - I felt that this was aimed at me as the party had obviously heard the phonecall. I silently stood there getting more angry. I then had to wait at least 20 minutes whilst the group checked in. However, there had been a problem with their booking so I had to wait whilst this was sorted out, still stood there looking like a drowned rat.

When she finally got round to serving me, I showed her the photo clearly stating check out time is 1300 and she made a rude comment, as if I should have known better - really?!? To make matters worse, she then gave me the bill and they had charged me extra for breakfast, which should have been included in the price. So they then had to sort that out. I left the hotel furious, but had kept quiet throughout.

There are hotels nearby of a similar standard where the wifi is free and the staff don't patronise you, so I'm more likely to go there next time. Although the room is nice, the problems I experienced this time will mean I will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear wheretonext1979,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is delightful to know that our location was of convenience and the breakfast served suited your liking. It is disappointing though that the level of service received did not completely meet your liking. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Pam G
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Holiday Inn Lincoln is in a fantastic location, central, in the hustle 'n' bustle and has its own car park, a great bonus in a city where parking is as freely available as bananas at the North Pole. Being a slightly needy guest, only at times, the staff and in particular management were enthusiastic in their endeavours and no request was too much trouble. The rooms are large and very clean living up to the Holiday Inn standard as you would expect. The bar, themed Sporty, have a great range of meals and drinks with a Starbucks at the front tops off the experience nicely.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hotel and will hopefully, one day in the future, I will be able to return.

Room Tip: Take your time on the wharf - it's magic