“Great location for historic Lincoln”
Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Great location for historic Lincoln”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Opted to stay at The White Hart after a recommendation from a family member and it lived up to expectations. We were unable to find a space in the hotel car park due to a wedding taking place and poorly parked cars but we knew the city so were able to find an alternative. The hotel reception was in a weird location off the main entrance with the bar taking centre stage. Our room was fine but a little noisy overlooking the Main Street however we weren't in it for long. The hotel is ideally located for exploring and very close to the cathedral. The bar area at night appears to be a meeting point for the great and good of Lincoln at the start of a night out so it was quite busy with cocktails being the drink of choice for most people. We found a fab little curry house round the corner too. Breakfast was a busy affair with many of the wedding guests in situ but service didn't suffer greatly.
I would recommend the White Hart even if it is a little pricey compared to other hotels in Lincoln just because of its location.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
LincolnWhiteHart, General Manager at The White Hart, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Louise
It means a lot to us when guests take the time to post a review about their visit to our hotel, so thank you for your feedback. It was also pleasing to read that you booked your stay as a result of a recommendation and that we lived up to expectations!

We are hoping to complete secondary/double glazing to the front elevation bedrooms as part of the next stage of our redevelopment and we are confident that this will reduce any issues that may occasionally be experienced.

I’m glad that you recognised the “great and good” people of Lincoln enjoying cocktails; we are after all the best cocktail venue around (in our humble opinion!) It was also good to read that you enjoyed one of the many excellent local restaurants, perhaps next time we could persuade you to join us for dinner? I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the service at breakfast and I will certainly pass your comments on to the team concerned.

I do hope it won’t be too long before we are able to welcome you to the White Hart once again and maybe you will be able to pass on your recommendation to others so they may also enjoy our facilities.
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in November. We had some difficulty finding our room as the signage is a bit confusing. The hotel is a mix of old and modern which doesn't quite work but is not unpleasant. We were at the back and heard nothing apart from the magnificent cathedral bells. What let this hotel down badly was the service at breakfast. If we hadn't already paid we would have left and gone elsewhere. It was truly dreadful. The breakfast itself was ok, and there was a good choice of cereal, juices etc. What let this hotel down badly was the service at breakfast. If we hadn't already paid we would have left and gone elsewhere. It was truly dreadful.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hilary,
Thank you for taking the time to add a review following your recent stay with us. I was really disappointed and sorry to read that the service element of your breakfast experience did not live up to expectations and appears to fallen short of our usual high standards.

I have taken the opportunity to discuss the points you’ve raised with the team concerned in order that the issue is not repeated. I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that your experience on this occasion was the exception rather than the rule and I am confident that should you wish to return to our hotel in the future, your breakfast experience will be a much more positive one. I was pleased to read that the quality of the breakfast was to your liking.

I do hope we shall not be judged too harshly on this occasion and that we may, in time, be able to welcome you back to our hotel.

hexham
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the White Hart whilst visiting the Christmas Market. You couldn't ask for a more central location - albeit the car park was closed and we had to park away from the hotel and walk with our suitcases. We also chose it as we didn't want a corporate 'bland' hotel and it did go a fair way to fit the bill.

Our twin room was compact but had a great view of the floodlit Cathedral. The bathroom was small but adequate for a short stay and the blackout blind was useful. Whilst I wouldn't like to spend a prolonged stay it was fine for what we wanted. No air conditioning though which might be a drawback in the summer. It wasn't cheap at £140 a night B&B but we wanted to be central and you pay the price for that.Beware the bells though - they started at 7am but if you are prepared for it, it is fine.
The bar was busy and the cocktails were excellent. We didn't eat in though so can't comment on the evening meal.
Breakfast was excellent- the eggs benedict were very good.
I would return but hopefully pay a bit less for what you get.

Room Tip: Go for the back if you want some peace and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
LincolnWhiteHart, General Manager at The White Hart, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Hexham1,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to our hotel for the Christmas market, I was pleased to read that you would come back again (the Christmas market is the most expensive time of year!) I’m glad you appreciated the refurbishment programme, we are definitely not “bland” or “corporate”!!

I’m sorry that our car park was unavailable for the this event, the safety advisory group in charge of the market have advised us that it’s too dangerous to allow cars to drive down the street when the market is on. As you mentioned, we do have a very good alternative close by (5mins walk) and we do provide porters to assist with luggage both to and from the hotel.

We don’t generally suffer as a result of a lack of air conditioning so I’m sure this wouldn’t be an issue on your next visit.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our cocktails, they are the best in Lincoln and we’re proud of our well-deserved reputation! Maybe next time we can tempt you to dine with us in our award winning restaurant as well? I will pass on your kind words to the breakfast team for a job well done.
I do hope that it won’t be too long before you are able to visit us again, we very much look forward to providing you with a warm welcome and pleasant stay.

Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here New Years Eve. Had two rooms - one at the front and one at the back. If you want quiet - go to the back.....

Noise aside, reception was smart and welcoming. Rooms were well furnished, modern and clean - nearer 4* standard. Slightly odd mix of old and new as previous comments, but pleasant. Fantastic location in the historic centre.

But the noise... The front room was right on the street and the New Year revellers may as well have been in the room as the sound insulation was so bad. There was no attempt at sound proofing - no secondary glazing or heavy curtains.

The room at the back didn't have the same problem - so suggest insisting on a room overlooking the Cathedral.

Room Tip: Away from the main street.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Farnham_Flyer,
Thank you for your kind words and constructive comments following your recent stay with us to enjoy the New Year celebrations.

I was pleased to read that you thought the rooms were “well furnished, modern and clean – nearer to a 4* standard.” We have recently completed a refurbishment programme of all 50 bedrooms and feedback such as yours is both encouraging and welcome. I certainly make the team aware of your thoughts.

It was disappointing to read that the external noise from the street at the front of the hotel slightly marred your stay and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of this. We are hoping to implement sound proofing/secondary glazing as part of the next stage of our continued investment and development of the property and I would therefore be confident that this occasional issue will not occur when this work is completed.

I do hope that it won’t be too long before you are able to visit us again, we very much look forward to providing you with another warm, welcome and pleasant stay.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

After seeing the hotel listed as #12 out of 14 we were pleasantly surprised. Room comfortable, great big bed. Fabulous views of cathedral but be prepared for early morning bells! We were there for a 50th birthday and staff in bar & restaurant v helpful & food pretty good too. Great location for cathedral & castle & boutique shops of uphill Lincoln.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear LFandJF,
I really appreciate your kind words and thoughts regarding our hotel and your recent stay with us, I will certainly pass on your positive comments to the team. We have recently undertaken a full refurbishment of our 50 bedrooms so it’s pleasing to see that our efforts are being appreciated by the people they are intended for – our customers!

I was also pleased to read that you felt our team in both the restaurant and bar were helpful and the food was also a winner! I hope the birthday celebrations were enjoyed by all and the cathedral bells didn’t disappoint you too much!

Please don’t wait too long to come and see us again, we very much look forward to providing you with another warm, welcome and pleasant stay.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Oh dear!
Whatever has happened to The White Hart? This used to be a prestige hotel with an excellent reputation. Very similar to The George at Stamford; an old, historic coaching hotel of which, has been in Lincoln since Georgian times.
Gone are the gracious features and beautiful antique furniture and wooden paneling. In are the cheap leatherette bucket chairs ancd chipboard tables. No individuality or taste. Reminded me of a student common room. A lot of the furniture wass tatty; the cushions had burst through the covers and had not been mended, tables were bashed and scruffy.
We waited for ages to be served, but eventually left and went somewhere else.
I can a only assume that the hotel has had a change of management. Surely someone should get a grip and do something to restore the reputation of this once iconic hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank caroline g
Dear caroline g,
I was so surprised and disappointed to read your review and I would like to apologise for any shortcomings that you may have experienced on you recent visit. It is most unusual for us to receive negative comments such as these and I will be talking to the team to ensure that these issues are not repeated.

It must have been a while since your last visit as the refurbishment of our public areas took place over 5yrs ago and the vast majority of feedback has been positive and both increased and improved the profile of the hotel for the benefit of our customers since the work was carried out. We have also recently undertaken a full refurbishment of all 50 bedrooms. I do however, appreciate that change is not to everyone’s liking and I’m sorry that this is the case for you.

I do hope your experience will not deter you from visiting other hotels in Lincoln, we have a vast array of different styles, locations and budgets within the city. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it is appreciated and welcome.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here in October with my partner in a suite for 2 nights. The issues that we had are as below:

1) On arrival the reception staff were very standoffish! We arrived early (and I was aware of that which is why I informed them on arrival that we had a room booked for the weekend rather than we were there to check in. I was encountered with someone telling me that it was only 10am and people were still using the rooms!). Finally, she asked if we would like to leave our bags (which is actually all we wanted and didn't need to be patronised in the meantime).

2) We hadn't had breakfast (due to setting off early) and I asked the receptionist if there was anywhere we could eat. She informed us that the breakfast is available as it would be served for another hour. She led us to the restaurant which was empty (apart from a few staff who were packing away breakfast and moving around furniture!)

3) We were then apologised to and given a room service menu and told that we could order at bar. Once we had chosen what we would like, I went to to the bar to order. I was told that there was no food until noon. I explained the circumstances to the barmaid and told her that we had been informed we could order from the menu (that I had in my hand) and again she said that the kitchen wasn't open. At this point, we left the hotel to look for breakfast elsewhere! Very unwelcoming and unprofessional!

4) Our room was very noisy. We could hear, people on the street until past midnight, squeaking floorboards above us, our bed shook every time someone walked along the corridor and there was a loud random gurgling sound which came from the bathroom (which I actually recorded as it was unbelievable).

5) We ordered breakfast in our room only to realise that although we had booked a suite, there actually wasn't anywhere we could sit and eat it so we ending up trying to eat it on our lap which was uncomfortable and unjustified!

6) On returning from being out on the second day our room had not been cleaned despite being out of the room early (as we were attending a wedding).

7) The list of items which should have been in our room when we booked were not there. These were small things but it starts to make you think what else they're being deceitful about!

So, overall a terrible stay especially for the money paid! Stay elsewhere when visiting Lincoln as this isn't worth it! Also, if you're thinking about a wedding here I would suggest against it! From what I witnessed, they seem to 'manufacture' weddings somewhat and it's more like a production line that you'll experience rather than 'your special day'.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple