“Excellent Hotel - would stay again”
Review of The Lincoln Hotel

The Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed in one of their 'Cathedral View Balcony Rooms' (these are on the third floor, though there is a lift) for 4 nights in July 2013. I was impressed with the hotel. The room was excellent - a decent sized, properly cleaned room with a King sized bed (with a decent duvet), user controlled air conditioning (perfect as the weather was glorious!), a nice balcony with a good view of the Cathedral and a modern clean bathroom with bath and shower. The TV was a large screen flat panel one with good reception. The free Wi-Fi was easy to use and reliable and a desk was provided too. The chairs were also comfortable, something which I find most hotel chairs are not, and well positioned within the room.

The food was excellent. I took breakfast in the Long room (their standard breakfast room) and had the full breakfast each day. It is a self service set up where you are shown to a table (or can choose your own) and your tea/coffee is then brought to you. After that you help yourself to your breakfast. A good choice was provided - all the usual cereals/fruit juices/continental (if you prefer that, I don't!) plus all the usual full breakfast choices (bacon, sausage, hash browns, tomato, black pudding, mushroom, beans, scrambled egg, other egg choices to order, etc.). The bacon was really nice and tasty, as were the hash browns. There was nothing wrong with any of the other choices. You help yourself to toast/bread/marmalade etc., as you wish. The toasters were fine but very slow though!

I took my evening meals outside as the weather was so nice. They have a nice lawned area with good seating/sun shades in front of the hotel where the waiter brings your food should you wish to eat outside. The restaurant area inside looked very nice too.

A good choice of food was provided and all the food I had was good quality food, well cooked. All the meat was soft and tender with no fat. The cheesecake was to die for! I had to have it 3 times - never tasted a better one! The drinks choice from the bar was fine too.

The hotel is ideally situated being right across the road from the Cathedral. I didn't see any other hotels with a better view of it. They turn the bells off at night and switch them on again at 7.00 am. They were not very loud anyway and add to the ambiance of the stay.

Lincoln is not a busy city, it is nice and relaxing and easy going and the traffic from the road outside caused no noise problems.

There is a good sized car park at the back of the hotel which always had at least 6 empty spaces, so no problems parking. The area generally seemed very safe and there was no reason not to feel completely safe walking around.

I would definitely stay here again if I revisit Lincoln (the Cathedral is superb). Having seen most of the other hotels I'd read about here before making my booking, I think I made the right choice. None of the others looked any nicer and none are better located.

The price was very reasonable and the staff were all friendly and helpful throughout my stay. As I've said the food and the room were also excellent.

A very nice relaxing holiday!

Room Tip: The front facing rooms have the best view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed 4 nights here in late June. Nice modern hotel in city centre, friendly staff and good food.
However our BMW was damaged in the car park and the hotel CCTV did not record this part of the car park. Left with £300 bill!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Thank you for making our stay so pleasurable. There was a slight mix up with our dinner booking as there was a very large conference in, but the staff were extremely accommodating and sorted it all out for us. :)
The restaurant was intimate and food good, perhaps portions a little small.

Room Tip: The Balcony rooms overlooking the cathedral are the best!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Yvonne I, Manager at The Lincoln Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of the hotel and it always lovely to hear that guests have a enjoyed their stay with us. I am sorry for the mix up with your dinner but pleased we managed to sort it out for you and I will pass on your comments about our team to them.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in room 310. Nice room, nice bathroom, fantastic view of the cathedral. I had to keep photographing it as the light changed. Very convenient position for the old part of the city and with a useful car park. Very pleasant sitting out on the front lawn for a drink under the sun umbrellas.The staff were very cheerful and helpful. Would recommend getting a better room with a balcony (and the view) if possible.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed our hotel and enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I turned up with no booking during Graduation in the City so was relieved to find they did have a room at £95 B&B. I had perhaps one of the best views in the country through a large front window across the road to the magnificent Cathedral. As the night wore on the Cathedral was lit up beautifully until about Midnight when it suddenly disappeared as they turned the floodlights off. Quite an effect. My room was large with excellent air conditioning, essential as the temperature must have easily been about 22C at night. I slept very well although the fire alarm this morning was a slightly harsh wake up call. Really good buffet breakfast, staff delightful.

My only gripes are that the shower in my room could do with a bit more oomph and the coffee at breakfast was rather average. Otherwise, would thoroughly recommend the place to you.

Room Tip: My room was 202' get a cathedral view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel. I am glad you found your room comfortable even with the heat outside, and yes the view is something very special. I am sorry you were woken with the fire alarm and we will look to see if there is anything we can do with regards the shower.
I will also pass on your comments to our team.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I spent 2 nights here at the end of June. Fantastic view of the cathedral and peregrines from a front room and front garden- a great place to relax with a glass of wine. The room was large and comfortable with attractive décor. Handy car park included in charge. Good buffet breakfast. Great location for the cathedral, interesting Steep Hill shops and galleries, medieval Bishops Palace and castle. Climbed the cathedral tower (book in advance) for the fab views and went on a tour of the cathedral walls which are being refurbished to allow more access round the castle, saw the magna carta and had an interesting tour round the old gaol.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sheila L

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we hope we can welcome you back again to Lincoln and the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

July 6 2013, we leave by car from Antwerp Belgium to Calais to take the eurotunnel to Folkestone. Our journey of 1,200 miles or 745.65 miles went smoothly. We enjoyed the beautiful green landscape in England. The friendly and jovial people.( I love Englisch people so much) Because we have become just Mom and Dad, we can not afford any expensive trips. But we took a room at the Lincoln hotel of 149 euros or 125 pounds. We thought, we live only 1 time. Let's get crazy. We had a long wait at the reception, people before us got the key and took the elevator. We got the key and had to walk back on the ground. We opened the room and our mouths dropped open in surprise. Instead of a nice room we saw an old furnished room for disabled persons. I have nothing against disabled, let us be clear. But what was to be a romantic getaway, ended in a nightmare when opening the door. To your left you see a wooden door, behind a bathroom with a shower, very old, with a curtain. fully equipped for wheelchairs. The room was very small. A white plastic chair with old wooden table. In addition, a small wooden table with a tray on a set of glasses and cups. A bag of instant coffee, tee and a kettle. Our window looked right on a stone wall with ivy. Very uncomfortable.I might as well take. A Formula 1 hotel Along the highway.( it cost 50 euro) I'm going to complain to the front desk. I was told the hotel is full. While I had paid! Our booking a few weeks earlier On Sunday we left very angry. The Breakfast was very poor. The airshow in Waddington was happy very good. But Lincoln Hotel we never come. No more no advance;! If we ever visit again England, we just take a room on site The pictures on the site of the hotel lincoln are not consistent with reality!!!! I feel cheated!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Brigitte v

Thank you for your review, reviews both positive and negative are invaluable, I am sorry to hear your experience at the hotel was not as you expected but we have been in contact with your booking agents with regards your comments and concerns.
With kind regards