“Maiyango cocktail workshop - great fun”
Review of Hotel Maiyango

Hotel Maiyango
Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Maiyango cocktail workshop - great fun”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Last Sunday 13th October, some friends and I had a wonderful few hours at a cocktail making workshop with our own "mixologist" Jessica. It was a social occasion, with seven of us making and tasting cocktails, in a quiet, relaxed and pleasant setting. The booking process was easy and with the restaurant closed, this added to the intimate and relaxed atmosphere. Our mixologist, Jessica was friendly, knowledgeable and patient. She showed us a twist on a classic mojito, flavoured with pineapple and pink peppercorns but was happy to adapt ingredients to individuals' tastes. This was followed by a selection of cocktails, including after eight martinis and cosmopolitons. We were invited and encouraged to explore new ingredients and along with sampling a range of delicious canapes, we learnt a few tricks of the trade and had some laughs along the way. In our group there were vegetarians and non-alcohol drinkers and we all felt included and well catered for. None of us had been to a cocktail workshop before, so didn't quite know what to expect but it was hands on from the start and lots of fun. I would definitely recommend the cocktail workshop experience at Maiyango and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Manchester
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Maiyango on Sat 12th Oct 2013 with friends. Tried to book into the restaurant a few weeks earlier but it was fully booked as so popular & highly recommended! Staff on reception in the afternoon when we arrived & also for checkout, were really friendly, knowledgeable & helpful. Room was lovely - wet room type bathroom was contemporary with Cowshead products. Could've had a choice of pillows!
Continental breakfast was included in the price. We would've upgraded to to something cooked but weren't offered a menu so didn't know we could.
There was a wedding on the 3rd floor but the music went off at midnight which was fine for us. Would recommend for couples & groups of friends.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

On your wedding day you expect a day to remember for the right reasons...not the wrong. Upon entry and explaining that my friend was getting married and she had just arrived with the cake I was told 'And? and then, how many cakes does she have?!' well firstly she had the main cake and cup cakes...this is something that isn't new, nearly every wedding I've been to in the last few years has had a main cake and extras of some kind. After what felt like over 15 minutes a trolley was finally sent down to the bride and the groom while I waited upstairs for them to arrive. Well the cake arrived and two members of staff but my friend was no where to be seen! Apparently they took the cake off her, got in the lift and closed the doors! Now she doesn't want a red carpet or anything special like that but when you've paid a lot of money for a service a service should be given! No body greeted her, her wedding planner wasn't even in on the day of her wedding! And we were ignored for most of the time we were there! The receptionist constantly asked who we were when asking questions and all the staff seemed unaware that they were working! Only 1 person seemed helpful but he was already busy enough setting up a room for over 50 people on his own! The champagne promised arrived 10 minutes before we left for the ceremony. The whole day was a shambles! Once arriving back to the hotel no nibbles were served as promised. At half 5 when we were suppose to be sitting down for a meal and most people had been waiting for 2 hours we were told they were on there way...well how pointless is that just as we sit down for the 3 course meal?! Plus we had to keep asking where they were! Once they twigged we may ask for money back the served them at the end of the night! The food was excellent, I cannot fault that but any awareness of what this meant to the bride and groom didn't exist. They made them wait to sit down but didn't introduce them into the room on arrival so me like an idiot had to make people aware by woooing and clapping my hands together. It wasn't a personal affair as they sell at all. I still think when the bride and groom came out dressed up in their wedding gear they still weren't sure who they were! Absolute let down for the money spent. Would not recommend to anyone. They don't make you wedding day, they seem to go out of their way to ruin it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dani B
Stourbridge
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stay here frequently whilst working in Leicester and the standards are always high
A cooked breakfast is an extra supplement ( approx five quid for two poached eggs ) which I find a bit much considering it is not a cheap overnight stay
Another grumble is that the cold water taps never run cold water .... It's always Luke warm ..... Horrible for brushing teeth and drinking
I would however choose maiyango over the local competition

• Stayed October 2013
wales
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of Sept (fri and sat). Firstly, the room is finished to a very high standard and is the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The room couldn't be faulted, however if I had to pick bones I'd say that the tea/coffee supplies weren't great. The hotel is also located perfectly in the city centre, with a very short walk to the main shops, restaurants and pubs. The biggest downfall with this hotel was the noise on both nights, it's located by a taxi cab firm and therefore I had a terrible nights sleep on both nights. I've stayed in hotels previously that are positioned similarly, I.e. Opposite clubs, pubs and not had this problem, therefore I assume the rooms just aren't sound proofed enough and for this reason I would not recommend a stay at this hotel. Also it falls flat on customer service, eg at breakfast, initially no staff was to be seen, when they did come service was very slow. The reception desk for the hotel is bizarrely placed in a bar lounge, which could be intimidating for some travellers if there was a function on. This is not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. It's such a shame because this hotel has the potential to be perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Hotel seemed not to know that the booking was via Click Travel and would be paid for via Click despite us all having Click Travel confirmations. One guest had to leave their personal credit card until this was sorted out. They seemed incapable of getting one of our party coffee or tea for breakfast at all and when asked by another if he could have some more coffee was told "I'll see if we have any more" and he never received it. Staff training seems to be the problem here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed there after my wedding and loved it. I contacted the hotel telling them we were staying after the wedding and I think we got booked into one of the largest rooms. The room itself was everything I imagined it to be. Yes if the window was open you can hear revellers outside but with air-con just keep the window closed. I think the room door may have been a bit thin for my liking, would prefer a thicker door for security.

Room Tip: I can't offer any tips as I reckon we had a decent room :- )