“All round great stay!”
Review of Hotel Maiyango

Hotel Maiyango
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at maiyango for one night for a romantic getaway and loved it!
The hotel has great decor, the room was a good size with everything you could need. They even have a cafetiere and fresh milk for a decent brew in the morning!
We ate in the restaurant and the food was very nice, the cocktails were even nicer!
All the staff, both hotel and bar/restaurant were great, very friendly and helpful!
All in all we had a brilliant night and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the maiyango!

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for Hotel Maiyango

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend in this quirky hotel with reception on the top floor . The room was clean and quite large and the staff were nice .
The location is first rate, all at hand .
We were in room 8 which was right above the taxi rank and Subway , the noise all night was constant and kept us awake .

Room Tip: Not room 8.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Very clean and friendly hotel. I believe there are only 8 rooms, but it has most of the amenities I look for when I travel. Missing a workout room, but that is about all I see missing. The staff is very attentive and friendly. They helped me with directions many times, recommended restaurants, and shopping areas. If I were to return I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My fiance and I went to HM for my 25th Birthday and we had an amazing time. The staff are so incredibly helpful, friendly and chatty and were able to recommend food to us when we just couldnt choose between the amazing stuff on the menu.
What really struck me about the food was that each and every part of the dish was amazing even on its own its was so tasty! In addition to having 3 courses for £29 we were also given an amuse bouche of what I think was a leek and something soup and a palate cleanser which was champagne and basil (I think). We had scallops, goats cheese, fillet of beef, and sea bream and they were all amazing and I couldnt criticise a single thing on the plate! We also had the taster plate of desserts which I highly recommend. We had a lovely bottle of white while which was £25 which I thought was reasonably reasonable. The venue was smaller than I imagined but compared to other similar restaurants in leicester (ie the case) it has a lovely relaxed atmosphere and feels on the whole a lot more inviting! The whole evening wasnt cheap (£104) but it was really worth it for a special visit! We considered having our wedding at HM but decided against it as the location wasnt what we wanted for our wedding (in the city centre) but after our meal we were worried we may have made the wrong decision!
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Ate here in March with my family. We had the sea bass and the haddock as main course and the presentation and flavours were amazing. The creme brûlée was also out of this world. Service was great; the place itself was a bit dark and I did not feel comfortable on the seating; apart from that I will definitely be back when I move to the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed one night for daughters graduation. Very friendly staff. Room was clean and well kept and we had a good nights sleep .Good breakfast with a good choice of food. Strange entrance way and could be confusing to some, but overall not a bad stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We arrived at the Maiyango while there was a corporate lunch party going on. It was chaos, the staff simply couldn't cope with the arrival of two weary guests.. We had just driven 170 miles, there is nowhere to park and unload luggage outside the hotel and there were no staff there to help. Reception is on the top floor and was entirely taken over by the noisy lunch party when we eventually checked in.
When we later called reception to book a taxi we didn't get a reply and had to leave a message twice which wasn't acknowledged despite asking for confirmation.
I avoid lifts and asked to use the stairs to access our room on the first floor. I was told it would not be a problem, all I had to do was press the buzzer at the bottom of the stairs. I'm not sure if the buzzer didn't work or whether there was no one on reception. Either way, my wife had to go down on two occasions to let me in.
The room, like everything else in the hotel, was painted brown. It had a large flatscreen TV and a view of the Wetherspoons pub opposite.
The hotel has a distinct backstreet feel about it - it's above a taxi rank and sandwich bar.
We were woken up at 1.30am by other guests trying to get into our room. I was awoken shortly before 7am by noise from the street below.
When we walked in for breakfast we were greeted by a dustpan and brush left on the floor which was covered with spilt cereal. The inclusive continental breakfast was ok.
The carpets in the stairwells were dirty, the corridor outside outside our room was being painted and there was a certain amount of upheaval but no apology for that.
I have stayed in better hostels.
The only things I can find positive to say about the Maiyango is that the young staff were pleasant and cheerful. The roof bar is quite nice too.
We complained as we checked out and were given £20 off our room rate which knocked the price down to £95.
Next time we are in Leicester we will stay at the Hilton where we've always had a great room, good value and excellent service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family