“NICE SUNDAY ROAST”

Orange Tree
Ranked #137 of 1,211 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Friends, Ben and Pugsy got let down at the last minute and failed to open a Bar in Goa. Still passionate about opening a bar after getting over the disappointment they went for something closer to home. Leicester - In 1997 it was a vibrant town where they both lived, and they thought they could create something that was ideal for the city and our all their mates.They took the first pub they saw, which was really run down and on a deserted end of the high st.Although the Haunch of Vension was it's traditional name, they felt it didn't quite fit with vision so after a few days in the records office (no internet then!) They found a pub called the orange tree that used to be just 100 yards away from this site. Both the name and the building worked perfectly as they filled it with vinyl, beers and friends, bright colours and old sofas.
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a nice lunch of roast lamb which was really lean and tender. The veg still had a bite and it was served with road potatoes and parsnips. Gravy wasn't the best but ok. The young people serving we're lovely. Cost with 1/2 bitter and a coffee £12 I would go back and would recommend.

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

This visit, I had the Rabbit and bacon casserole. I was surprised by the presentation. Very nice, slick and a little rustic. I was clearly paying for taste and that's exactly what I got. Thanks for this!

So often money spent is expected to reflect and exceed the size and amount of food on the plate and neglect great flavours. Not here!

I love this place and always make a stop when in Leicester.
Great beers and lagers, too. The cocktails are always fun when you're partying!
Love the homely and welcome atmosphere.

When can I move in?

Keep up the great work.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a rather unassuming spot to eat in Leicester but must stop in and eat here. The food was amazing and a nice wide selection of beer and alcohol to choose from for whatever mood you are in. Definitely must go to if you like rum. Oh, and to add to all this that the food is very reasonably priced, might be the best value in any of the spots I went to in Leicester.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

From the outside this place looks rather small but it is a tardis inside, with several different rooms branching off. There is a great athmospher here and the food is very tasty and freshly made. Well worth a stop when in Leicester.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have been going to the Orange Tree for many years. It was usually a good place, with good food on offer. The last few visits however have showed that the place has lost it's core values.

My last visit was appalling. We ordered a rabbit casserole which were told came with mashed potatoes. What we got was a tiny little cooking pot half full of a stew devoid of any rabbit. No mash potatoes either, just a slice of bread, at a rather pricey £9.75. Since no one came to ask if the food was ok while we were eating I had to wait until the table was finally cleared. My query about mash potatoes was met with a shrug, and when I mentioned there was no meat in the stew the waiter/barman arrogantly said "we'll in future I wouldn't order that again"

In short the place seems to think it's an exclusive gastro-pub on the south bank. Such a great shame the place has left it's former glory behind.