“Best curry in Lelcester”
Review of Khyber Tandoori

Khyber Tandoori
Ranked #204 of 1,211 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been coming to the Khyber for 20 years plus, fantastic food. The most authentic food in the city. The review below is not a reflection of the restaurant and if you order 4 meals to be shared between 11 people what do you expect. A portion is a portion for an individual. God knows where they normally go ... Happy Eater??

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This has to be one of the worst experiences we have had eating in a restaurant in 37 years.!!

We were celebrating our parent’s birthday so we decided to venture from our usual favourite restaurants and decided to give a Khyber a go. It couldn’t’ have got it any more wrong.
We booked a table for 11 of us over the phone. When we got there they had managed to join two tables together which should have seated maximum 8 and managed to fit 11 of us around out. My brother in law was half hanging out the front door. The rest of us were pretty much sitting on top of each other.

The waiters hardly approached us; we had to keep calling them to take orders for drinks and starters. For the starters we order a couple of Sizzler platters, some fish and panner to share amongst us. This is usually more than enough when we go to another Indian restaurant just down the road. Bearing in mind the Sizzler platters are £12.50 a go they came out with 1 Kebab, 2 pieces of chicken, 1 piece of lamb and 1 king prawn per platter!!! Try sharing that between a group!

They then took the order for the mains, usually at this point eating else where you would be semi full so we order 6 curries between the group (four of the group were kids) some nans and 2 portions of rice.

The chicken tikka masala we ordered for the kids came out and it had four pieces of chicken in it!! Basically the kids had 1 piece of chicken each at a cost of £8.00 for the dish!! From the rest of the 5 dishes that came out we all had about 3 pieces of meat or chicken in our plate, we were having to wade through the sauce to try and find the meat pieces.!! With the disappointment we faced, we took one of full dishes back to the manager and said “this curry only has 4 pieces of chicken in it” and the manager attitude was “this is our standard portion size”. The two rice portions had been combined into a single tray and was enough to feed one!

When we completed the meal we were all still hungry and truly disappointed, we tried to explain to the manager this was my parent’s birthday and our first visit and we felt the food wasn’t value for money. We felt their birthday meal had been ruined and his kind gesture was not to charge us a fish dish which we ordered late and as a result came out after we had finished our entire meal. The bill came to over £160 and we all left felling hungry.
I would recommend other Indian restaurant in that area and you will get better food and 100% more value for money. Don’t go through what we have been through especially if you are celebrating a special occasion as you will only be left disappointed.

1  Thank ManojM794
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I visited this restaurant last week with my father. He devours their egg curry, which I must say is delicious. However, the menu insists that the restaurant uses only fresh spices and ingredients, but I beg to differ that this is not the case. When having either mushroom rice or a mushroom type dish, their mushrooms are always slimy and have the definite texture of TINNED MUSHROOMS, there is no doubt about it. Also when ordering Tandoori Chicken, the chicken is rather dry and non-juicy, which is an indication of pre-frozen chicken and not fresh. Taking this in to account, the food is quite average.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

i have been going to khyber litterally since i was born and have never been dissapointed. Inside khyber you are welcomed to a nicely designed warm resturant. The traditional indian music and lovely staff provide for a great atmosphere. The popadoms are different to other resturants but still nice. I adore the new starters esspecially the crispy chicken- which is a smart play on chicken nuggets- its the best chicken i have had ever. Another starter i love are the chicken wings- be careful they are super spicy.
the main dishes are all lovely- whatever you order. The desserts are mostly indian except for ice cream and cake- which are nice. Overall a special resturant, i love talking to the staff especially dinesh the manager and the food is beyond amazing. I always reccomend this resturant and will continue to.

1  Thank 99dancer99
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I don't want to sound too hard on this restaurant in this review because I had a good time there and most importantly the food was very good, but there were a few things that weren't quite right.

The poppadoms were small and dry cooked instead of being fried, but the accompanying dips were very good : a dressed onion salad, yoghurt, mango chutney, a pickle and chilli sauce. The main course was delicious, but small in size whilst the rice that came with it was huge and conversely the naans were also small. The worse thing was that one of our party didn't get their main course when the rest of us got ours and it turned out that they had forgot to make it so it came out 5 minutes after everyone else had started. To add insult to injury the waiter started to clear the table whilst this person was still eating, and that is a big no-no for me.

The cost of the main course was very reasonable but I realised that the cost of the rice and naans were high. I have seen a few restaurants use this trick to get the bill up.

Overall, this is a good restaurant, but on a Thursday night it lacked atmosphere. The mix up with the food was an honest mistake. I would recommend this restaurant, but with a few caveats.