“Business evening meal” 4 of 5 bubbles

ASK Italian - Leicester
Ranked #174 of 1,127 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: ASK Italian is one of the UK's leading casual dining restaurant brands with over 110 restaurants across the country. We are driven by a passion for authentic Italian food and culture and work with a number of expert friends, including chef Theo Randall, to bring the best of Italian life to the UK high street.
United Kingdom
“Business evening meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Walked in off the street and they were able to accommodate the six of us easily, we had a table next to the kitchen, which I didn't mind as I am interested in the cooking aspect and you could see the chefs working. Food was good and certainly hit the spot. Friendly and helpful staff, particularly when we all wanted to split the bill at the end.

• Visited September 2013

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

2 of us had a great lunch here at the end of July, we sat outside in the lovely summer sun. Had a 3 course meal which both of us really enjoyed. Service was good considering there was only 1 member of staff looking after all of the outside diners. Prices were a little steep but I used vouchers so really can't complain, I would definitely consider going back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chelsea121008
London, United Kingdom
“Reluctantly ate here last week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The thought of going to another Italian chain restaurant last Sunday did not fill me with joy or hope, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were quite a few young children already in the restaurant and we went with our baby granddaughter. The staff were good with all the children and completely unfazed by them. The food was better than expected and I particularly enjoyed my gnocchi. The others in my party enjoyed their meals and it all looked fresh and well cooked. The only moan from our party was that there was too much ice cream / sorbet in their dessert.
Service was generally good, but we did have to find someone to chase up our jug of water when it failed to materialise. It would have probably been a bit pricey for what it was, but a voucher for money off balanced this out.

• Visited September 2013
germany
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We reserved an early evening table (5.30) as we had two small children with us. The table that was allocated to us was totally unacceptable- right next to the kitchen area, hot and steamy with a very noisy fan blasting away. I would have thought a table like that was for emergency use only for late-comers...not for a party that had booked and arrived when the restaurant was virtually empty. We asked to be moved and thankfully we were able to choose our own table in a quiet corner.
At first glance we thought this must be a child friendly place as they had provided a colouring sheet and a few crayons. However, what little children really need when they sit down is something to nibble on or to drink!. We understand the concept of trying to provide an authentic Italian style experience for the whole family, but we felt that the the warm milky drink supplied as part of the children's menu was not really suitable on a hot day in summer (and it fills little tummies so that the following food is not so readily eaten). It would be a good idea to bring the children's starters as soon as possible, and also to serve them in an unbreakable container...although I have to say our waitress was very calm and friendly as she swept up the pieces.
The set menu was good value for 13.95 for three courses, but we weren't showed this at the start so make sure you ask if there is one available. Also, there are some good offers available online for discounts, so check before you go.
I ate here a few years ago, and had a much more authentic Italian experience. It seems that it has now joined the ranks of 'just another place for a pizza'. However, the food was tasty and enjoyable (although the portions were very small) and the service was fine, although a little slow.

• Visited August 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Go to Pizza Express......................”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I wanted to tell you about the appalling meal I had at your Leicester restaurant on Saturday 31st August.

The table was booked for 8pm and there were 12 people in our party. We arrived at 8pm and were given our table, we then had to wait for 30mins before anyone came to take our drinks order. The server was shocked when we told her that we were ready to order our meals at the same time as though we had only just sat down.

I ordered the Funghi Al Forno to start and Pork Belly Porchetta as a main, 4 of our guests also ordered the same. While taking the order the server did not repeat the order at any time.

About 15 mins later our starter arrived, my girlfriend had order Insalata Caprese, but had asked for the Rocket to be removed, when her Salad arrive it look dreadful there had been no presentation as all and the whole dish looked as if it had been thrown together, my mushrooms which I had been looking forward to were appalling I cant put into words how unappetising they looked. All the dish consisted of was 6 mushrooms on 3 small bit of bread which had been baked in the oven, there was no sign of the garlic butter and there certainly was no taste of it. The bread had turned hard due to being in the oven with no moisture. I ate 3 of the mushrooms and left the rest. As the server put the plate down I tried to move the dish that the mushrooms were in as it was right on the edge of the serving plate, as I touched the dish I burnt my finger as I pulled my finger away with a yelp the server looked at me and said “ho the plates are hot” she did not get the sarcasm of “you could have told me that sooner!” She did not ask if I was ok, or offer to get me any ice but just walked away….

When the server came back to take the plates away she did not ask if everything was ok, nor did she ask while we were eating our starters. The time was about 21:10, we called the server over ask if we could order some more drinks which arrived very quickly. It was at this point in the meal that the server on the table behind us tipped by accident a bottle of red wine over the birthday girl of that table who was in a white dress.

Shortly after that our mains started to arrive however they had a chicken dish which no-one had ordered, and one less belly pork. As I was sitting at the end of table I was left without my meal, the server had got the “manager” to come over who told us “one of you ordered the chicken and now wants the belly pork, that’s why you don’t had your meal, I have reordered” I pointed out that the server had not checked the order with us before walking away. She did not accept this but just shrugged and went back to dealing with the wine covered dress.

I waited another 20mins before finally grabbing a server and asked how much longer I was going to have to wait as most of the people on my table had nearly finished, she said “I don’t know it was a fresh order” nearly 30 mins after the rest of my party was served I was finally given my meal.

Now what I could not understand was if it was going to take 30 mins to prepare why did the manager or server not suggest I change my order, or tell me it was going to take so long?

So the Pork Belly Porchetta, it was fatty, drenched in herbs (packet not fresh) to the point where all I could taste was herb, the potatoes were soggy the presentation was none existent. All in all this dish was discussing.

When the server came to take my plate away I asked if I could have some feed back, I told her about the starter, and the main. She said “I will tell the manager” Now I was not excepting her to drop everything and come running however I would have expected her to come over within 10/15 mins.

Nothing.

We ordered pudding, where I ordered a coffee and one of the children in our party ordered a hot chocolate. When this came the glass was slightly less hot than the surface of the sun. This resulted in the hot chocolate being left and when we said told the server the glass was very hot she just smiled nodded and walked away.

Now when the bill came I was hoping that Ask had made some gesture because my meal had been so late, it was now 23:00 so a 3 course meal had taken 3 hours which for a chain Italian restaurant is I am sure rare. So the bill £380 with a tip included but nothing taken off. I asked to see the manager and told her that I had given feedback but nothing had been done to acknowledge this. She became very defensive and kept telling me I should have done it at the time, she then accused me of shouting at her, and finally just kept saying “I don’t know what you expect me to do”.

For the money we spent and the quality of the food we would have been better off going to Pizza Express, in fact Pizza Hut probably would have been better!

• Visited August 2013