“So-so.....but overpriced”

Good Earth Restaurant
Ranked #79 of 1,201 Restaurants in Leicester
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've been going to the Good Earth for at least 10 years (on and off!). I visited today and the choice was either a veggi paella or a veggi slice of quiche. Now, neither of the dishes came with accompaniments - unless you purchased them. So, I was either going to pay £4.50 for a slice of quiche, or £4.50 for a helping of paella. I was given the option to go half-and-half which I did do in the end. In total the meal (half paella/half quiche) plus 1 buttered roll plus an apple juice came to £6.95. If I wanted a salad it would cost an additional £2.

Now the paella was awful and tasteless. the quiche was scrummy but you got the tiniest slice as a half portion (not worth my £2.25!!).

I've been in the past and their stilton casserole was pretty boring - just full of potatoes and cheese (yawn!).

HOWEVER.....their best ever ever ever dish that I'd had is their veggi sausage casserole. It has got to be the best ever. But they don't make it on demand - nor do they keep to a daily set menu so it's always pot-luck.

I would like them to re-think their pricing strategy in order to get more customers through the door. Or is it that they keep it over-priced as those that do come - make up for lost trade!

They do have a lot of biddies in their though!! Maybe I need to start going in their with my mac and brolly!

1  Thank Lucy L

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This seems to have been here for ever. Scores zero for decor. The service is very dozy. But the food is filling and healthy and it's certainly unique. A bit like eating in 1957. Or earlier.

1  Thank PhilipDraycott
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Some 20 odd years ago was the last time I enjoyed the food at The Good Earth. Then, as a happy accident, my daughter and I got lost in the city and stumbled across 'The Good Earth' two weeks ago. Being in a rush we hadn't time to drop in for a bite. Since then my daughter has been relentless about revisiting.
Today I returned with my daughter and niece. I was amazed how little it had changed, it has got a Swiss chalet feel about it, could possibly be updated, but I'm afraid that would spoil the charm of the place.
I'm not a vegetarian, and never have been, I got dragged along all those years back by my daughters father, who was.
So to all my fellow carnivores, don't be put off, it's not all lentils and salad.
I had, potato, carrot and cheese pie with salad, it really was fabulous, as was my daughters mushroom stroganoff, (my niece isn't very adventurous and stuck with a baked spud and cheese)
The staff were pleasant and friendly, and the clientele likewise.
If you're vegetarian you'll really enjoy it, if you're a meat eater you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Veggie eateries can be a bit stuffy and right-on and the food can be stodgy and so-so. Not here. The staff are pleasant, the choices good, the food attractive and tasty and the ambience peaceful and conducive to a pleasant lunch. I've been many times and it's never different.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

The vegetarian restaurant is near the Ramada Encore hotel. It's hidden away, but worth a visit. The food is wholesome, the decor clearly hasn't been touched for sometime, which adds to the charm!