“Faded Glory”

Ranked #39 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Desborough
“Faded Glory”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I remember this being a lovely hotel with a well thought of restaurant. I have stayed here twice in the last few years and it seems to be going downhill. Nice as the staff are, the Management need to pull their finger out and deal with the decor.
The first room we were given was tiny and the toilet didn't flush properly. It was next to the 'honeymoon suite' which looked to have the same placard as in the 1970s! Our room was changed to a much larger room. This was good but it smelt of cigarettes and there was no TV.
The bedding was clean but the decor badly needs upgrading. When we got back in the evening, the bar did not even do wine. We ended up with 4 bottles of Budweisser.
The price was very cheap but you can get decent cheap rooms easily now. I would say the breakfast was excellent and that is why I have given 3 stars rather than 2.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Skipton
Reviewed February 25, 2013

On the plus side the reception staff were friendly and helpful, the room was warm and the linen was clean, and the location close to the city centre is excellent.

But as I walked in to the hotel the smell of old dinner was an unpleasant surprise. Our double room was at the top of the hotel and very, very small. We were actually in the roof space so the small window was at knee height and there was barely room to walk round the bed. The TV didn't appear to work. The dark patch inside the ceiling light was a collection of dead flies. There were holes in the wallpaper and what may have been some sort of semi-dismantled clock fixed in the wall above the bed. The bathroom was in better condition than the bedroom and the shower was warm and powerful enough, but the drain was blocked.

Room Tip: Dont get a room in the roof.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have been here for two weeks, After 2 weeks of constantly climbing the stairs with my heart and knees hurting, on the 16th of February i was walking up the stairs to the top floor once more, But on one of the steps the metal carpet tracks that keeps the carpet down was not fixed properly, So it was raised up (Broke) i tripped over that, and had a massive pain shoot through my ankle, I trickled up to the room on the top floor hopping up the stairs holding the Bannister, As i came down it was throbbing pain cannot hardly move my foot or walk.
I sat down in the main foyer in the hotel, Taking off my sock to check out my wound, And my partner checked and rang the out of hours doctors, and they sent out a emergency response officers to check i was okay, They came out and estimated that it was "Broken/Fractured" So they had to call me a non emergency ambulance, Whilst my accident happened roughly 11:15 and the non emergency ambulance came to me at roughly 1:30am, After taking me to hospital, I had to stay in the hospital from 2:00am (When i got there) And then waited until 5:30am Whilst in this time i could not accept any pain relief due to my heart condition, In agony waiting to be seen, As soon as i got seen, 7 doctors did not know what had happened to my foot.
I went for an x-ray after all the examinations and they have finally had some evidence that i have broken 2 bones in my right foot.I had my cast put on, and then sent on my way with crutches, All the hotel did when we got back was refuse to pay for the taxi that we had to get to get back, We had to argue with the staff here to get them to pay the taxi fare, And the woman on reception turned around and said "You've broke the step, why should we pay" we demanded to speak to the manager and the woman on the desk refused to let us speak to her.
We are appalled by this, I have a broken foot, Small room, Not able to move anywhere (No Independence now) And also not able to see family no more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stevie R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Reasonable price hotel which isn't as bad as other reviewers have said. I found the staff to be helpful, the room was clean, with a crazy shower/bath with many functions. Breakfast was enjoyable and the staff were attentive. The location is pretty good, you can walk to the town centre... but you could get a bus back if you think it's too far. Reasonable price, reasonable hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here with 3 other friends and we haggled and paid £85 for four people which in my head is quite good. Going with the negatives: Toilet didn't flush, Mould up the wall towards the ceiling, Hair-dryer didn't work and it was very sticky and being I was on the top floor stairs were very squeaky and is not good.

Good points though: Very helpful and welcoming staff, helped us with our enquires in a friendly manner, food was okay but I wouldn't say awesome. Overall I am rating this hotel 3/5 and I might visit this place again.

Room Tip: If you are looking for cheap quick hotel rooms, this is the place for you.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I think it's always good to start with the negatives. Top floor, creaky stairs, dated decor and below average quality 'English' dishes in the restaurant.

However, the price is reasonable. It's close to the city center, the service is above average as the staff are very helpful. The Internet can be painfully slow but it is available throughout the hotel. The rooms are dated as I said but they are cleaned thoroughly. The curtain's broken in my room but I wouldn't close them anyway, I'm just lazy.

I mentioned the restaurant, I should also mention that the curry I had this evening was lovely although I'd consider it pricey. The staff are very accommodating and will do everything they can to please.

A lick of paint won't fix this hotel, but I think with time it can only get better. Thanks Stoneycroft. :)

• Stayed November 2012
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here, needing a last minute booking. I was able to haggle the price down by a fiver over the phone to £45 for a double room with breakfast.
The lady on reception was very pleasant and helpful - no complaints to be made there. The real problems were with the room, which was tiny. The bed barely fit into the space, and since they insisted on having two bedside tables, one of the wardrobe doors would not open due to the lack of space.

The bathroom was tiny, and I mean really, really tiny. Consider a shower cubicle. Now consider four of them stood in a row. Inside that space was a toilet, a sink and a shower. No lock on the door, but admittedly that's not *that* big a deal.

The bed was reasonably comfortable, and we slept *reasonably* well.

The TV was basically a joke. Old 14" CRT TV mounted on the wall, with a freeview box *literally* taped upside down to the bottom of the TV mount using brown packing tape. I had to swap around the batteries to get anything working in terms of remote controls, though eventually we got a reasonable viewing experience.

We didn't stay to sample the breakfast.

All in all, I'd say that this is a functional hotel, but it's really at the very bottom of the budget end. Sorely needs a dramatic overhaul to bring it up to date, but overall I can't complain as much as some of the other folks on here have.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple