“Big Improvement” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Mayenne, France
“Big Improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Big improvement since last October when we stayed. Very helpful staff this time although we had booked a superior room on the ground floor but were told when we arrived that the superior rooms were on the first floor! Food is of good quality although portions in the bar could do with being a bit smaller, but that's to my taste. Didn't have enough room for a desert! We had room 1 and mentioned to the management that it was "sagging". They said they would replace it but unfortunately we left before they were able to do so. We shall see next year.

Room Tip: We were in room 1 and the plumbing isn't that spectacular. The toilet won't flush away easi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jan661268
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
We would like to convey our Thanks for your email regarding your recent visit to The Fieldhead. It was very nice to have welcomed you both back here to the Hotel, and to have received your honest feedback. Our Superior Rooms are positioned on the first floor, which I’m sorry this was unsuitable for your needs and also a room move didn’t take place during your stay. Since your previous visit we have been taking comments very seriously and making the changes where we possibly can. We are pleased you enjoyed your meals during your stay, and that all of your feedback is being taken on board to make all guests stay with us a more pleasurable one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Cadeby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been at this hotel several times before and it never disappoints. The staff are warm and welcoming, food is well cooked and presented with breakfast offering a wide range of goodies. The bar has a lovely fire which makes the place feel quite cosy for all ages with many places to seat in with the crowds or a quiet spot for those who want to get away. I had room 29 and was a lovely room and could imagine a perfect place to spend a lazy weekend.

Slight downside the internet is a bit up and down but better than some.

Room Tip: As I said room 29 was lovely.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ballymena, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times on business trips and it is such a friendly and warm place that I thought it was about time I sang it's praises.

The rooms are good value for money. They are clean and comfortable with all you need to survive such as telly, tea, biscuits, soap etc. but by far the most pleasant part of the stay for me is to relax in the cosy bar/restuarant after a hard days work nursing a beer and deciding what to eat from a superb menu. The central log fire adds to the overall ambience.

The staff are friendly and helpful and there are plenty of parking spaces at the hotel.

Bradgate Park is a short drive away but worth walking to if you need to burn off a few calories!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for your fantastic review on our hotel. We value all your comments and aim to deliver the best service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Old English Inns.
northants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We booked one nights' stay for a bargain price through Old English Inns including breakfast. Impressed with the room, modern and very clean. Good shower, plenty towels, good bedding and quiet room despite overlooking part of the car park. Tv good, tea/coffee facilties all good. Ate in the restaurant, didn't go for the 2for£9.95 offer but had off the 'normal' menu. Still very reasonable and have to say the food was excellent, also had desert which was scrummy. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice. All staff during whole visit were friendly and attentive. Hotel is close to Leicester for a days shopping so a good base. Would definately stay again, nothing to moan about.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on 1st floor and were given this so very happy but I think it could make a diffe...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.
lincoln
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Amazing value because my partner and I booked a special offer through a newspaper. The room was large clean and modern, large flat screen tv, lovely en suite with a great power shower. All the staff where very friendly and helpful, breakfast was supposed to be just continental ( as in the mirror offer ) but they let us have both continental and cooked .Great selection. All told we had Two nights accommodation, two full breakfasts, fab evening meal with one starter , four alcoholic drinks and the total cost was an unbelievable total for two people . . . . . . £77.00 !!!!!!
Just down the road about a mile and a half you have the most beautiful country park ( Bradgate park ) that once belonged to Lady Jane Grey the 9 day queen of England. Amazing weekend and so so cheap for a change.

1 Thank amandalincoln
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Great value for money. Good breakfast - help yourself and menu. Big clean room (number 15). Helpful friendly staff. Ideal stop over just off M1. Lots of parking. Good beer. Would recommend to anyone needed a good value over night stay

1 Thank JaxWa
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Upon arriving reception is not manned. I had to call a number displayed next to a phone on the counter, the phone only just functions as the buttons stick. When I called the number I heard the phone ring and it was picked up by the man serving drinks behind the bar, he came promptly to check me in.

I was given my key and sent to room 4.

Upon walking down the corridor I was hit by a musty smell that was then being covered by an overwhelming floral soap smell. Upon entering my room I noticed that it was large and the bed was a superking size but the images on the website had shown quite grand and regal looking four posters - nowhere to be seen. However, the bedding was clean and the pillows were fine. I really struggled with the lighting in this hotel, the wall lights are very dim, you can't read or do your make up. I found it very very old fashioned. The tiles in the bathroom are pink and flowery, the wall lights are brass effect and very dull. All in all it's very tired and grubby in the corridors etc.
I had to trudge into the bar area to ask for an iron because the room had a board but no iron, then I was told "it should have one, have you looked in the wardrobe" - I really hate being treated as if I am a child. I managed to find the ironing board in the wardrobe, it was during this discovery that I noted no iron...........

HERE'S MY BIG GRIPE

I arrived in the dark and the curtains of the room were closed. As I could hear noise outside I opened them to see that my ground floor room looked out onto the courtyard where the smokers from the pub section of the hotel congregate. I could not open the window for fresh air and I could not have the curtains open at any point because I would be on full view - this is very very poor and because of this I will never stay here again. On the Friday night of my stay there was a Tina Turner tribute act in the restaurant(pub) area, it was so loud that I simply had no chance of sleeping, this went on til around midnight - this was of course exacerbated by the drunks and smokers outside my window.

I was advised that breakfast was served from 7am Mon-Fri, for me that's a little late as i have to be in work for 7.45am, I did go to try this out on the first morning but the buffet section of the breakfast was not as described. The info in the room states that you should expect pastries, chocolate and blueberry muffins, cereals and fruit. There was a sad plate of individually wrapped blueberry muffins and some tubs of chopped fruit. I grabbed a muffin and promptly left - it was very sweet and simply not breakfast.

Upon returning to the hotel that evening I ventured into the same pub area for food - I ordered lasagne and without exaggeration I can say it was awful. There was very little trace of tomato in the dish, it was like stew with sheets of pasta. I ate 1 forkful. Nobody approached me to ask how my food was so I simply left it on the table and have not ventured back since.

In review - it's ok for one night if there's nowhere else available but I won't be back. Had this been advertised as what it is, A PUB, I would not have booked it. The images on the website are very misleading, don't expect to see an old english inn with warm rooms and four poster beds. You have been warned!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, get a first floor room. There are no rooms with views, your choice is smoking...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We very much appreciate that this has been brought to our attention, this is not a standard which we practice and for this to have occurred we are truly sorry. Room 4 is a standard double room, we also offer four superior rooms which are available to book directly with the hotel or online. All our rooms should be fitted with Iron and Ironing board and all lights should work but on this occasion we have failed to meet the high standard to which we pride ourselves on. We do have a tribute act every other Friday until the new year and we are sorry you were not informed of this at the point of making your reservation. We take pride in how our food is perceived from a customer’s point of view but, on this occasion this was not so. It was with great regret we were unable to rectify this situation at the point in question to make your whole experience a more pleasant one. We do thank you for this feedback being brought to our attention so we can help prevent similar situations occurring in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leicester
Rothley Court
Hilton Leicester
Hilton Leicester
#11 of 41 in Leicester
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,406 reviews

Been to Fieldhead Hotel? Share your experiences!