“Good Food”

Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed 2 nights with a discounted newspaper voucher
The room was a family room, (room 3) good size with a good sized bathroom ,
The room lighting is poor if you want to read , but nice and warm !!
The Bar & restaurant has oddly mixed furniture which is very strange for a three star hotel . The reception area was often unmanned .
The fire alarm was activated the first evening , being retired Health & Safety advisors we immediately evacuated the building , but alas no reception staff & no one to advise on what was happening ,
We had to return to the bar to find out it was a false activation caused in the kitchen by the cooking of sizzlers !!
And we also found a fire door propped open with a fire extinguisher !!
These are serious issues which require urgent attention .
The food was excellent & very good value .
On the Friday night A Motown Tribute concert was held so the bar & restaurant was packed , but it did not affect us noise wise in our room.
We enjoyed our stay .

Room Tip: Room 3 good size
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fieldhead Hotel

Reviewed March 19, 2012

group of family including elderly and children had pre booked and ordered meal on mothers day. Service was very slow, some had finished before others had their main meal. children served last and didnt have what had been preordered. Food was awful, hardly anything on plate, seemed like it had been pre cooked and left standing around. Cost us £250 and was a total waste of money. Would never eat there again.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Julie M
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to the Field Head Hotel. We are sorry that we did not meet with your expectations. We would like to offer our apologies for the quality of service you received, I hope you will revisit and give us the opportunity to put things right. We have taken your comments on board and will be reviewing our procedures to enhance our customer journey.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed two nights using a voucher from the local paper - £14.50pppn. The bar area is large and open, they had a good selection of hand-pull bitters for around £2.70 and even the "house choice" wine was only £8.99 a bottle.

We ate our evening meals there on both nights, unfortunately in fairness the service on the second night was extremely slow, it took 45 minutes for the starter to arrive and a further 45 minutes for the main course, I love desserts but gave up ordering one as a bad job. However the food was excellent when it arrived.

On the first evening there was a Phil Collins tribute which was pretty good, and not so loud that you couldn't have a conversation over the top of it.

The room was clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable, the hotel is quiet at night despite its proximity to the M1, and the staff are all friendly and helpful. I'm not sure we would have stayed if we hadn't had the vouchers, the same room would have been £90pn without them, but even if you aren't staying there it's a very nice pub to eat and drink at.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

we stayed for 2 nights as friends were getting married. Loved the hotel - all the staff were brill, really friendly and helpful, especially Kev who seemed to muck in with everything - reception/bar/waiter, and Pete the wedding organiser. We had a lovely room with a 4 poster bed - the breakfast was lovely. It favours 'pub with hotel rooms' but i liked that as it added to the casual, friendly, comfortable feel of the place and it was really good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Reviewed February 28, 2012

This was my second stay at Fieldhead. I loved it so much the first time that I booked my 60th birthday party here and filled the hotel rooms with family and friends. I had been planning the weekend for months and was very excited. Booking rooms was shambolic. Rooms were double booked or not booked as requested. Communication between staff was poor and I was told differing information depending on who I was speaking to. Emails were left unanswered or were answered insufficiently. Messages weren't passed on. The day we arrived, the party planner was off sick and there was confusion over how many rooms were booked.

On the Friday night I had booked a table for 12 well in advance, but when we failed to find our table we told that there wasn't one free due to an error on their part. However the manager found us a table in the restaurant and we all enjoyed our meal and table and bar service were excellent. Friendly staff stayed late as we all went to our rooms after 1am.

Breakfast was good and there was plenty of choice, with friendly efficient staff.

Saturday night was party night. I was very disappointed when I saw the party food. I had ordered approximately £900 worth of food for 80 guests; when I saw it laid out, it looked more like £200 worth, if that. I hadn't been told when the food was available to eat; the hot portions were already cold by the time I discovered it was ready. Feeling disappointed a while later, I wondered into the room where the disco was booked for 7.30, to discover the bar grilles unopened, no staff around and no disco to be seen. It was around 8.30! I found a member of staff behind the main bar and asked where the disco was and why the bar wasn't open. He said they had no staff to man it! The manager was rung at home when it was discovered that the disco had been double booked and that the party planner had known this for 3 weeks, yet hadn't told me or anyone else! No wonder she was off sick!

The manager calmed me down on the phone and came in personally to apologise. He managed to swiftly find a replacement DJ from the nearby Rothley Court Hotel, who turned out to be superb at his job and we had a great evening with most people dancing and enjoying themselves.

I was given a substantial discount because of the multitude of errors. I would rather have paid the full price for a well organised party. I certainly didn't like being reduced to tears at my age!!

I have waited some time before writing this review, expecting to get a written apology from management or at least the person responsible for the cock-ups It would please me to hear that my party planner is no longer working there, but I have waited in vain.

I would like to say however, that despite all the things that went wrong, I would still stay here again, because there is a lovely atmosphere, the staff are all friendly and seem happy in their jobs, the food is good, the rooms are spacious, clean and have all you need (eg full lenghth mirrors, iron and boards, bath and shower) and last but by no means least, it is reasonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

It may have taken a great deal of time and indeed a lot of thought to have taken this decision to write to Trip Advisor. I am truly grateful for this being expressed to give me the chance not only to respond but as important to identify the failures that occurred and make sure this never occurs again. The initial enquiries were made at the time by the organiser as we discussed on the evening that I returned to personally deal with this, the entertainment situation & a letter that I perused made alterations to it and had the original organiser sent this out to you, I can assure both you and anyone else that we have new personnel in place to make sure our standards are dramatically increased and maintained.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

dirty carpets,so dirty there was no sign of any pattern.dining chairs so dirty it made me feel sick.
and the sofa with the ends of the arms gone was only fit for the tip.

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank elizabeth l
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to offer feed back for the Field Head Hotel. I am sorry that our standards did not meet with your expectations. We take all comments whether good or bad on board, to enhance the customer experience; I have taken yours on board and will be taking action to remedy the issues you raise.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Booked the hotel for two nights to attend a local seminar. The check in procedure went well after I managed to attract the attention of a guy playing solitaire in the office,
The room was clean and tidy and nice and warm. The wi-fi was easy to connect to after following the instructions.
Did a little work and then decided to meet a colleague for our evening meal. It was very busy in the bar/dining area and we did struggle to find a table, shame there was not a seperate area for residents. The bar staff had very little experience and there seemed to be more staff dashing about doing nothing, than actually serving people.
We eventually did get a drink and ordered our meal.
The next morning, after a goods night sleep with no noise, I went for breakfast; there was a decent choice but the language from the kitchen was disgusting. The chef was verbally abusing the waitress, it's a good job that guy did not work for me; he would have been dismissed on the spot.
On the second night of my stay I was joined by another six colleagues giving us a party of eight. We tried to book a table but once again we were told they were too busy and that we would have to order food at the bar the same as everyone else. The bar/dining area is open to none residents and is really just a pub. We ended up being served our food at different times, I eat my meal after everyone else had finished theirs. This is just not on when you have a party of eight all of us being residents. The staff did just not know how to cope as they were vastly understaffed and poorly trained.
This hotel wants your money and then leaves you to it.

I will not be staying at this hotel again

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank eck2go

I am very grateful for you giving us this feed back, Thank you for bringing to my attention the short comings with our service on your recent visit, I was surprised that you could not make a booking as we keep availability in the restaurant for all residents, following your feedback I am looking at our training requirements and have taken your comments on board.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leicester
Travelodge Leicester Markfield
#1 of 1 in Rothley
Charnwood Arms
Charnwood Arms
#2 of 2 in Coalville

Been to Fieldhead Hotel? Share your experiences!