“interesting”

Holiday Inn Express Leicester City
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We arrived at 13:30 on Sat 28th Sept I went to the reception desk just to let them know we had arrived & was greeted by a young girl who said "sorry we can't book you in any earlier we don't have the rooms" she said this with even looking up at me .....we booked in our room abit later it was nice & roomy butut we were in 225 which was above the refuse area so around 8am it did get quite noisy with the staff throwing rubbish in the bins !! There was only two tea bags & two little pots of milk in the room. Breakfast was hectic there was a long Que because they run out of food & cutlery. I had to eat beans on toast with a spoon. The cathering staff looked miserable & run off there feet . Plus points the room was nice & clean the evening receptions were very helpfully the bed was comfortable. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk into Leicester town the hotel is located in an industrial area opposite to Leicester FC .

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the far right hand corner
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Susee10

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations with regards to your experience at breakfast. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip and it provided us with everything we need.... Easy Check in, Clean Room, Hot Power Shower, Comfy Bed plus an extremely yummy breakfast in the morning! They even have an offer with the car park next door which was very convenient! Restaurants are also around a 5 / 10 minute stroll away, which is very scenic. All in All... Just what you need for a quick cheap stop

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear EllisX2

Thank you for choosing us as your stop over hotel of choice and for taking the time to share your comments with us.
I will be sure to share your comments with the team who will be happy to hear we have another satisfied guest.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Leicester and thank you again for the review.

Eugene Skoberla.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

There is cheap and cheerful and cheap and nasty ! This is cheap and nasty so don't bother.
On arriving at the hotel at 10.00 pm after a 4 hour journey, firstly I had to wait in reception whilst the receptionist shuffled some papers around ! Then on exiting the lift and walking along the corridor, you had to dodge the breakfast trays left outside rooms, baring in mind it was 10.00pm !!! Not a good start. My room was booked for 3 people, a double and a pull out bed. The pull out bed was still a settee with sheets folded on top of the cushions. So late at night after travelling I began to make a bed up, first hotel I have ever stayed at where I have had to make my own bed ! The sheets that where left were all ripped, and I mean ripped, the quilt cover was dirty and there were no pillow cases, so I rang through to reception where I was told replacements would be sent up, no apology or offer of making the bed up. On closer inspection, there were only 2 towels in the room and they were threadbare, seen better days was an under statement, I was so tired by this stage that I just thought, whatever. On sleeping in the bed, I wish I had just walked out of the hotel, it was like a water bed, the springs had clearly gone, so having a late night and an early start with not much sleep I wasn't pleased. In the morning I went to make a drink, and only 2 cups ! So to breakfast, last weeks croissants, scrambled eggs and cheap nasty sausages and toast, that was your lot. Complained and got what I felt a standard email saying that my comments would be passed on so it doesn't happen again. Will need to stay in Leicester again but will without a doubt not be staying here, has also given doubt as to whether I would stay in another holiday inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Shanti00

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am sorry to hear that we fell short on this occasion and not exceeding your expectations. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.
This feedback will be shared with the team and used to improve our performance.
Please accept my sincere apologies on this occasion and we would love to host you again on your next visit to leicester.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was just a flying business trip to Leicester, have stayed here before so knew what to expect. Room clean and comfortable, good that they now have free wifi throughout. We knew what to expect at breakfast so just stuck with the cereals and toast, the hot choice did not look good. However I have booked room only hotels that cost more with no breakfast so cannot knock the value of this hotel. Had a good sleep but was awoken early by the dust men or laundery van clanging and banging outside at 6:00 am, don't get a room on the canal side if you want to avoid this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the stadium side to avoid being awoken early by the delivery van.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Simon B

Thank you for your custom and for posting a review of your stay.
We are truly happy to hear you had a good stay and that the free Wi-Fi added to your positive experience.
Please accept my apologies for the deliveries disturbing your sleep,this has been addressed in the mean time and we will continue to monitor the noise levels.
Thank you again and on your next visit to Leicester we will be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We booked this hotel on the last minute on a Saturday night,I was wary of central leicester because of noise etc being a Saturday and previous experience. We were pleasantly surprised at £65 including breakfast booked at 6pm the same day not a bad deal. On arrival young girl greeted us excellent start to our stay as her customer service was the best I have encountered,the room was very nice and met all our needs,the best part was the silence....I got a great nights sleep which for me in one night away stay is very rare.breakfast the next day was enough but not a great range quite basic. The city centre is about a 15-20 minute walk away fine for us but might be to far for others. Parking at the hotel is free and barrier controlled.
Overall a good stay with excellent staff and sleep ,I would definitely stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear SusanCRogers

I would like to thank you for your custom and for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.
I am delighted to hear you had a great stay and that your check in and the service you received delighted you. Rest assured I will share your praise with the reception team.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We booked for two nights over the bank holidays as our usual place was fully booked. Booked two rooms and got inter connecting as requested. Breakfast was okay - nothing special as we usually book in 4/5 star but did the job. It got rather busy but luckily we had gone before the rush and managed to have a decent table. We didn't go down the second morning as were tired due to late night. Rooms are comfy with enough space. I can see a previous traveller complained about the wardrobe but is Express so didn't mind as adequate space for our stuff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear mazzerbatan

Thank you for your custom and for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay.
We are delighted to hear you had a good stay and enjoyed the Holiday Inn Express facilities as they are.
We would love to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Leicester.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife & I stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting the Richard III exhibition and the site of the Battle of Bosworth where he died in 1485. This hotel has it's own large free car park and is right next to the Leicester City Football ground, which was 'Walkers Stadium' but has now changed it's sponser and hence it's name. The Whole hotel is in excellent condition and all the staff we met were very friendly, polite and helpful. The whole place has air conditioning and our room was spacious neat and comfortable. We had a 22" Flat screen TV with full Freeview access. A very good shower in a cubicle within the 'bathroom', but no bath. A clever arrangement with the bathroom door allowed it to close off the toilet from the rest of the facility so it could be used in private whilst others could access the sink and shower. We had a link door to the next room which would have been useful had we had children or friends next door. Breakfast is in with the price of the room (£52 per night for the 2 of us) and was very good and well presented. There were all the usual cereals and tinned grapefruit, fruit drinks, tea & coffee, a toast maker, and the hot offerings were scrambled eggs, baked beans and good sausages. The seating was spacious and comfortable with a view of a large flat screen TV. There is also a well stocked bar on the same ground floor which is all open plan. They do not serve lunch or dinner but takeaways can be ordered from nearby outlets. There are 2 lifts and free wi-fi is available throughout the building. We had breakfast at 9am and never had to queue for anything.
A 5-10 minute walk will take you to a main road where there is a bus stop served by many buses running into Leicester City Centre. Across the road from the bus stop there is a large, modern cinema complex with several food outlets such as Nando's and KFC. The hotel is on the south west edge of the city centre and not far from Junction 21 of the M1. and about 15 miles from Bosworth Battlefield which is well worth a visit. We highly recommend this hotel and the City of Leicester as a good place to visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Wyyuyinn

We are truly delighted to hear you had a great stay with us and enjoyed your visit to Leicester.
I am happy to hear our friendly and efficient staff made an impact on you and you enjoyed the facilities on offer.
The King Richard the III tour is very informative and very well presented as well and as you rightly point out it is worth the effort.

Thank you for you custom and review and I will be sure to share your comments with the team.