“Good Value and Nice Place to Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Leicester City

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Express Leicester City
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Mombasa, Kenya
“Good Value and Nice Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Greeted warmly by reception and my Gold Card status was recognised. Room was as we expect from HIE, clean, efficient and all we need for a budget stay. The only 'problem' I would like to mention is the fact that there were only two staff members on duty at breakfast. As far as I could see there were over 200 covers and the staff were working incredibly hard to keep up but it was an impossible task. Sadly some guests took advantage of this and when the staff were running around madly trying to clear tables to reduce the queue (doing an EXCELLENT job) some very disrespectful people were 'stealing' all the food they possibly could. One table of 3 youths took around 20 pastries, 30 sausages, an entire loaf of bread, the entire pan of egg and much more... Food was being secreted in bags and in pockets and then taken back to rooms (where it was clear there were up to 5 or 6 people staying in one room, but that is another issue!). Nothing was done about the behaviour of these guests as the staff were too busy. The result was longer queues as those in line had to wait for food to be replenished. I understand it is difficult to police people when a buffet service is offered but having a few more staff on duty would have enabled better monitoring of the guests. We mentioned to the front desk how well the staff had tried to keep up and they agreed that it was hard work for them.

The reception lounge area was very cold as the doors were open causing a very low temperature around the TV watching areas.

Was not a great night sleep as there were no extra pillows in the room (ours were very soft and offered little neck support) and the beds are rather small (perhaps I am just used to my big bed at home?!). I know I could have called for more pillows and did not, so perhaps this is not a valid complaint... but it would have been nice to have some extras available.

Otherwise a great place to stay when in the area, free parking (thank you!) and easily accessible.

Room Tip: If the hotel is busy, get to breakfast early!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and your continued loyalty and support.
Thank you for your valuable feedback and the kind words for our staff as well.
The breakfast experience you had is a very rare occurrence, hence the two members of staff but having said that it is a valid observation and comment from you.
We have taken the rest of your feedback on board and thank you for this, as we strive to not only meet our guest expectations but also exceed the expectations of our guests.

Thank you again for the time taken to post a review and also for you continued support.
We look forward to welcoming you back shortly again.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a party at the city ground across the road, we called up a few months before to book which went fine, they took card details over the phone to secure the room. When we arrived they did not have any knowledge of the booking, we were issued a room which was fine, basic and fairly clean. The next morning we went down for breakfast, terrible would sum that up! Only 3 hot items and they all tasted terrible. Plates were dirty and small! When checking out of the room they asked for our card details again, I told reception that I had already paid and was told on that was only to secure the room! After checking my bank statement I have been charged twice? I called the hotel to question this, I was told somebody would call me back and I am still waiting for a call back now...! Absolutely diabolical customer service and I will never stay here again...!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your time today and allowing me the opportunity to dicuss and resolve your concerns.
Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

We appreciate your custom and look forward to your continued support.

Kind regards,

Travelers are raving about these Leicester hotels

San Rafael de Escazu, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Me and my daughter stayed there from 8/26/12 - 8/30/12. We were staying there while we looked for a place to live. The hotel itself is nice and clean. I don't know if my American side expected more, but compared to every other Holiday Inn I've ever been to (all in the USA) this one was a shoebox in comparison. The price included breakfast every day and that was great. The staff are all very helpful and kind.

My only complaints are that I was never told how much it cost to make local calls, so when it was time to check-out at the end of our stay I was baffled at the phone bill! No one ever took the time to tell us about the costs ahead of time, and none of my paperwork said it either. They would not reduce the bill because of that, so it left a bad taste in my mouth about the hotel, so to speak. Plus, the location is TERRIBLE! It's great if you're going to the stadium or Staples (the office supplies store), but if you're going anywhere else and don't have a car then you're up the creek without a paddle. It's about a 7-8 minute walk just to go to the nearest large intersection where you can find the buses and black cabs. Since the hotel doesn't have any walkable restaurants nearby, and since the rooms don't have refrigeration, we had to go out every single day and do a long walk just to get food. The only other option is to get your dinner delivered through one of the local pizza or Chinese places that will deliver (for a small fee of course).

If it hadn't been for the lack of disclosure about the phone costs I would have given this place 4 stars. If the location was good I would have given an additional star.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Mel233,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am happy that you found our hotel's staff service to be at par with your needs. However, I am sorry that you were displeased with our location. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Being just across the road from City's stadium this hotel is perfect for footie fans, albeit in a poor area, but quite near the city centre. Very reasonably priced for a good clean room with coffe/tea facilities. The TV has only a handful of channels (no Freeview): what's that all about?

The free breakfast was adequate, but that's all. I must add that the receptionist (Danielle) was what all receptionists should be like: lovely young lady.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank 237enigma .
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express, Leicester.
Danielle will certainly be very pleased to receive your kind praise and I will pass this along with pleasure.
With regards to the hotel TV package we are subscribed to freeview and thank you for the feedback, we will look into this as to why you did not experience the entire package?

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express as your choice of accomodation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Castle Douglas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I wanted a budget hotel within walking distance of the campus but found it difficult to navigate from my use of Google in advance (I DON'T use Satnav!). Having got there I had an issue with access to their car park, not realising that if you approach the full-width barrier it opens!
But once inside, I found the usual H I Express professionalism throughout. Nice room with good facilities.
Breakfast buffet was more than adequate for me. Good choices (I chose sausage, scrambled egg and beans with fresh toast). Check-out was as quick as it could be.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express, Leicester.
We appreciate your positive comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to receiving you on your next visit to Leicester.

Lowestoft
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Walker Stadium Holiday Inn was a wonderful stay; very comfortable, excellent clean facilities, very kind and helpful staff, all you could ask for in a hotel. We even stayed when there was a football match on and you wouldn't have even noticed. Very peaceful and excellent rates. Well recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express, Leicester.
The team will be delighted by your kind words and we are very happy to hear you have had an enjoyable and relaxing visit to Leicester.
We value your custom and continued support and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Leicester.

Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here for one night, we have stayed here in the past with no complaints, this time was no different, The staff were well mannered polite and friendly, We were early for Check in, the receptionist checked to see if our room was ready it was so checked in early no problem. Our room was clean and tidy and well equipped, the was no outside noise all night, There was a choice of food for breakfast, what we ate filled us up for the day and was nice. The breakfast area was clean too. For what we payed to stay here This hotel is excellent value for money, I can't complain about anything because there was nothing to complain about. We will stay here again no doubt about that, and would recommend it too.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eugene S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leicester City, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express, Leicester and your continued custom with us.
I will be sharing your review with our staff who will be deilghted with the recognition you have shared.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Leicester.