“Great Hotel, Good Value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mill on the Soar

Mill on the Soar
Ranked #32 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

When I booked here the staff were very helpful as I was not sure who was coming with me up to the last minute, the guy gave his name as a point of reference. Got a room in an outside building for me and two of my kids, this was a very very fair £50. Staff were welcoming on my arrival, this despite the place being rammed with Christmas parties, must say something about the evening meals !
Room was warm, well equipped, basic but clean and stylish enough, nice comfy bed. Clean but basic bathroom. Did what I needed well.
My biggest complaint - Breakfast, well below par, ok it was thrown in for the room rate but still....
Adequate cereal, toast and soft drink stuff. Cooked breakfast not great, rock hard sausage, not sure what the bacon was all about. Don't let this put you off, nice very friendly staff, good room, good value. Would come back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cadeby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

After spending a week travelling around Leicester this was the best hotel by far. A very warm welcome at reception with everything explained about the room, emergency contact numbers and breakfast etc. The room (22) was just perfect, large, clean and most inviting. It was home from home with your own front door, two sofa's to sit and rest with a glass of wine while watching TV. Full range of freeview channels available.

The restuarant/pub was very good and the STAFF WERE BRILLIANT as they were very attentive, responsive and very nice warm people. Dinner was well cooked and the large steak was cooked exactly how I like it. A great meal and more than enough to eat. The desserts in the glass cabinet are well worth the money as the Lemon Meringue Pie was delightful (old favourite of mine).

Had a great nights sleep and then breakfast. It was an informal breakfast with a good range of products available. The breakfast could not be faulted and certainly had plenty to eat setting me up for the day.

Overall an excellent stay and I am happy to recommend this Hotel to anyone. I, for certain, will stay here again knowing I have great place to stay for the night(s).

Thank you Kevin and staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sps1957
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Not at all what we expected from the small picture they show in the on line ad. This accomodation was of an excellent standard our room 22 was huge. We would stay here again and recommend to anyone. We found this place on line because it was close to Cosby and th Victory Show.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Don't eat chips many places but they're pretty good here - Their chips & curry sauce is a great lunchtime snack.
Drinks prices are reasonable including the wine list.
Curries are just OK and there are much better places to go for a steak but the rest of the menu is good value and tasty with most dishes also available on the Big Plate menu, where portions are very generous.
Some healthier options and nutritional information (like Harvesters) would be nice though.
Been perhaps 20 times in last couple of years and service was fine apart from the odd peak time visit when there is quite a queue to order food and waiting times for food to arrive seem to stretch from around 15-20 mins normally to more like 40mins.
Outdoor seating is great in the Summer. If you have little ones the can go off and enjoy themselves on the playground and still be in view.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Sunday, June 17, 2012 - Party of nine including two children.
Arrived on time at - 6.30pm. Quite busy as you would expect on a Sunday and especially on Fathers Day. Escorted to the table. Chose meals after much deliberation.
Went to the bar to order food! No carvery available, no vegetrian meals no gammon for the mixed grill. Unacceptable. On emailing the reply I received was as below:

"I do apologise that you have had to send in a complaint regarding our service. Regards to the information on how to order your food and drink when seated is not part of our hungry horse service but we shall take note of the comments you have made to try and improve our service. Due to our availabity from our suppliers that is the reason why we did not have the food you asked for but we take note of your suggestion to inform people when they sit down of the items out of stock."

I received a 20% discount voucher for my next visit, will I be returning anytime soon - I don't think so

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

The hotel was lovely,clean and newly decorated. However at around 2 in the morning the fire alarm went off which while I realise this was not their fault thay handled it VERY poorly. We waited outside for around 10-15minutes and nobody came to inform us that it was a false alarm but we overheard another guest saying he had said it off accidentally so returned to our rooms. around an hour and a half later it was still going off intermitently so we called hotel reception who were very rude and didnt help at all. When we checked out in the morning we mentioned this to the manager on reception who simply said 'how do you think I feel I was up all night to...'. While I realsie the alarm was not their fault they could have firstly informed us there wasnt ann actual fire and then at the least apolised in the morning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed for a night, room's are big and loads of space! Soon as i walked in the lady saw me and put her head down and didnt say nothing till i said ive got a room booked. no welcome or nothing just whats you name!! GRUMPY COW..

Food was ok, large steak and very small portion of chips let it down abit... bar staff didnt seam happy maybe the grumpy cow on front desk maybe be the answer!! (duty manager or owner)

Checked out on the monday morning and what a diffence, got a welcome from the lady (not the same one from the sunday), asked how was my stay etc etc really nice lady... shame i didnt get that on my arrival.

Rooms are comfy and clean and tidy food was ok.... just a shame about the staff..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leicester
Badgers Mount Hotel
#21 of 41 in Leicester
Premier Inn Leicester (Forest East) Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Ullesthorpe Court Hotel & Golf Club
Jurys Inn Hinckley Island

Been to Mill on the Soar? Share your experiences!