“still excellent”

Spice Bazzar
Ranked #3 of 1,197 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Authentic indian restaurant Fully licensed Air condition Friendly staff Child friendly
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Nine of us went to Spice Bazzar yesterday; and it is quite unusual in a group that size with a number of vegetarians for everyone to be satisfied, but we had a great meal; the food was very tasty, and with large portions... the service good... the drinks well priced - we were particularly impressed with the huge pint glasses of Lussi. Oh, the price of the food is great too - what’s not to like?!

Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

This is the best Indian restaurant I have been to in Leicester. The food we ordered was perfectly cooked and two huge portion sizes. The peshwari naan was the best I have ever tasted. I would go back again just to eat them. Let alone the beautiful curry. Hospitality was out of this world. My glass was filled up and when asked if I wanted another pint of cobra when I replied yes please it was there immediately.

I love this place and will certainly be coming back again soon with a boat load of my rugby mates.

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Went here after reading the Tripadvisor reviews but I won't be rushing back. It was no where near as good as others have made out.
Starting with the positives. The service was good, ambience was nice and prices were reasonable. However, my husbands main tasted burnt and mine was just lacklustre and fairly tasteless, neither of us were overly impressed. Rice was nice, naan was thin and a bit 'blah'. There's definitely better Indian restaurants in the area.
Being a fan of Indian cuisine, I'm surprised this place has received such high praise. Mediocre is what springs to mind for me. Is this really the best Leicester has?!?!?! I really hope not.

14  Thank sjmw1
Spice B, Manager at Spice Bazzar, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Hi reviewer thank you for taking time in writing a review I think you are related to raj mathur previous reviewer from London thank you for crediting our service and atmosphere.lastly your meal was less flavour because you did not ask it to be a spicy hence it was medium when ordering for future reference I would recommend to mention how spicy you would like thank you

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Had another fantastic meal at Spice, plenty of choice and the food was superb. The staff were friendly and always helpful.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Having read the reviews we had high hopes of good meal on the evening of Good Friday. We had booked by phone and were warmly welcomed on arrival and given a good table in the window. A nice pint of Cobra on draft and a couple of poppadoms whilst we studied the menu, there were a few dishes that you don't normally see on a standard Indian menu which was in itself interesting. We picked Chicken Jaipur and Lamb Shaslik to start followed by Lamb Rogan, Chicken Karahi, Dhal, Rice and a couple of chapatis. Before ordering we had asked what the Chicken Jaipur was ( chicken, green chillies and onion dish which is quite hot) i'll fess up at this point i'm Indian and can eat reasonably hot and my girlfriend who's English can actually eat it hotter than me! After ordering we were asked by two different members of staff if we were sure as this dish is very hot, we confirmed. When it and the lamb shashlik arrived they were delicious, hot but not crazy hot, but very very tasty. We let our waiter know this, therefore we were really surprised when our main courses turned up, they were so bland and in complete contrast to the very tasty starters. Our waiter apologized and said he'd feed this back to the kitchen. So i have a very mixed thoughts on our visit to Spice Bazzar regarding the food, value wise for what we ordered with 4 pints of Cobra £43 seamed very good value. One other issue we only noticed after we had left and got back to our hotel was that our clothes had become impregnated with the smell of spices which is not that great, luckily everything we had on can be washed at home.

6  Thank RajMathur
Spice B, Owner at Spice Bazzar, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hi raj thank you for taking time to write this review I am a bit disappointed that you were not happy with your main courses you should have asked for your rogan josh and karahi to be spicy both dishes are mild to medium and your taste buds are like how you mention to be spicy hot I am afraid we cannot take responsibility for that when ordering you should ask for it to be spicy hot thank you for coming