“Good Budget Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Good Budget Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I chose this hotel as place to rest our heads as we would be spending the majority of the day out and about. Paying just £35 for a room and continental breakfast seemed almost too good to be true.

We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who checked us in quickly. We asked for an iron and an ironing board and were provided with an iron straight away. After finding no board in the storage room, she proceeded to tell us that it would be sent up to the room. We received no ironing board, or no phone call explaining why.

The room itself was nice, but basic, with tea-making facilities. The phone did not have instructions on how to call reception and the information gaps in the guest directory that should have been filled in by the hotel were left blank.

The bed was superbly comfortable and the shower was nice, so it was a shame about the minor details. One thing that did strike me was a supposedly 'clean' towel in the wardrobe that had blood stains on it.

After a decent nights sleep, we were woken by the loud housekeeping team, before we headed down for breakfast. The breakfast was simple, but plentiful and we were served by a lovely, polite hostess.

Check out time was 12pm, which was nice. We mentioned the stained towel to the receptionist who was apologetic.

Overall, great value for money, with a few problems, but not enough to put me off from returning. Not as well located as some of the other budget hotels as it is on the outskirts of the city centre just outside of a council estate, but shops are still within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Steve P, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Leicester, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

I was sorry to read that you experianced a few problems whilst staying with us.

Please feel free to contact me at manager.leicester@campanile.com to discuss your issues further.

Steve Powell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Leicestershire UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My partner and I have alot of 1 night stays in hotels in th UK and up to now no problems normally staying in a premier inn. We have just spent a night in the Leicester city centre hotel ( Sunday 31st March 201 our room 218 was very basic if a little sparse and a burn mark on the carpet from an iron being dropped which didn’t look very nice but it seemed clean and it was only one night. The gentleman on reception was very nice and asked us if we would like to have a cooked breakfast instead of the included continental to which we said yes.
We dropped off out stuff and then went straight out as we were visiting family.
We got back to our room around midnight and on getting into bed found it to be most uncomfortable we felt it was like a cross between a water bed and a trampoline and we kept rolling into the middle needless to say we had a dreadful night sleep bearing in mind they advertise in having a Hypnos top of the line mattress it certainly wasn’t on out bed.
We were woken at 3.30am by other guests drunk and shouting which didn’t help but I can’t really blame them for other people’s inconsiderate behaviour.
We went down to breakfast around 09.30 only to find the coffee machine not working and hot water was in jugs, as I don’t drink instant coffee I only drink proper coffee so I had tea which was pretty disgusting as the water was not hot enough so I didn’t drink it as we were having a cooked breakfast we had orange juice and toast from the buffet table. The advert for the breakfast shows a nice plate of food and beans in a dish all very appetising and I thought it was a buffet breakfast only to realise it was only the continental that was a buffet.
No one took our request for what we wanted as they advertise scrambled, fried or poached egg, we were presented with 2 plates of food and the beans just on the plate looked like a bad truckers breakfast... and I said no one took our order but was told this was the cooked breakfast, so I asked could I have a poached egg and just to leave the breakfast with us as we were in a bit of a hurry.
No beans in a dish no choice as I don’t eat sausages or fried eggs, but I gave my fired egg to my partner and though he would eat my sausages but they were not very nice he didn’t eat his own.
The young lady who was on breakfast duty was not around and we waited and waited picking at breakfast till my eggs turned up but after 10 minutes no sign and no one to ask, in the end we gave up as the food was going cold. On going back to our room the young lady from breakfast was coming back as been sent out for bread and asked did I get my eggs and she was genuinely sorry and apologised but it wasn’t her fault ans she was a very pleasant young lady.
On leaving I told the lady on reception our upset about our stay, she had suggested we could have changed rooms but at midnight and undressed and in bed did not really feel like dressing and packing up to move rooms.
Re the breakfast I was told that the eggs did arrive but after we had left and I said it doesn’t take over 10 minutes to poach and egg and by that time out food was almost cold and we left most of it.
The lady on the desk said she was sorry, so we paid for a bad night’s sleep and that was it just a sorry not even an offer of a refund for the breakfast ......and a breakfast nothing like advertises and only got half of it which we didn’t eat as had gone cold.
The website looks lovely but they certainly didnt take the pictures in the room we had and as for the biscuits and cake with the and coffee nothing in out room.
I cant speak for ther other hotels but Leicester dont bother

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dolallylolly
Im very sorry to read your comments following your recent stay with us, especially due to not having hot breakfast.

After resolving the matter via telephone, I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your comments further, to do so please contact me at manager.leicester@campanile.com

Steve Powell

Travelers are raving about these Leicester hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at the campanile in leicester when we were going to a concert at the de Montfort hall. Didnt realise this hotel was quite far away from the venue, about a mile away and due to heavy rain had to get taxis there and back, so wouldn't really recommend staying here if you were thinking it was close to concert venue!
However it's only a 5 minute walk to the city centre so ideal if you planned to just go there!!!
Safe and secure parking and 24 hour reception
Rooms were basic, had TV and tea and coffee facilities.
Bed and pillows comfy.
Bathroom ok, could have been a little cleaner but I'm just a bit fussy!!
All in all not a bad nights stay!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be well located to the town centre & our safe/secure car park to be convenient.

York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

could not move around the room with medical equipment
the bathroom was missing taps for shower and bath, so could not have either
the phone did not work, so had to keep going down to reception, difficult when one is disabled
did not offer to move me
No food or drinks and yet had to leave hotel at 00.30 am because of poor room

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Im very concernd to read your comments following your recent stay with us, especially due to not having been made aware of any issues at the time.

We do have disabled rooms available but these are required to be booked at the time of reservation.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This will be the second time I have used a Campanile Hotel and a second time that I have been delighted with the service I have received. Although the location from the main city centre wasn't brilliant there are a number of short cuts available. Unfortunately the view from the hotel is the dual carriageway - but the staff were absolutely brilliant, friendly, helpful, attentive, nothing was too much trouble. Reception staff were helpful and polite, as were house keeping staff. House keeping staff provided an extremely professional service resulting in an EXCElLENT standard of cleanliness. Reception staff were very attentive and were very helpful. I didn't experience the cuisine as I ate at the conference venue. Overall very comfortable stay with friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

I was pleased to read that you chose us to stay again in leicester & found the hotel to be immaculate as well as our excellent service.

I was also delighted with your comment about our friendly team as this is something that we pride ourselves on at Campanile Leicester. We hope that when you are next in Leicester you will be able to stay with us again.

KETTERING
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

O.K. Hotel but was not happy with times they served food as our check-in was at 2pm and this is what time the food stopped being served until 6pm and as we was going out we needed food before this time, reception were helpful and gave us some local delivery menues and we had to order in.

Nice hotel, clean room but not enough plugs in the room there was only 2 and one was for the t.v, not good for 2 girls getting ready to go out and also needing to charge phones. I also found a bottle of TCP in the bathroom!!!!

O.k for a 1 night stay in Leicester and good value for money.

Room Tip: Take a 4 way plug as only 2 in the room.