“work stay over”
Review of Regency Hotel

Regency Hotel
Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked this rooms on late rooms.com booked a family room for 1 night on the 7 nov, arrived around 6pm booked straight in and asked were the nearest pub was for a drink and a meal they said it was abouit a 5 minutes walk more of a 30min .There is no pubs around except weatherspoons 5 min in taxi otherwise good 30min walk well worth going for food and cheap beer,went back around 10 in taxi straight to bar in hotel and the hotel was full so night cap then bed.The bed is a normal one you expect in a hotel nothing special got a few hours sleep as our room no 6 was at the site of the c/heating pump huming all night had shower in morning no hot water you have been warned.The breakfast was nothing special edable thats all i can say what can you expect for £75 for 3 people,close to town centre around 5 mins drive .

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 7, 2012

It was like stepping back in time and not in a good way. I arrived around 8pm after a long train journey and obviously wanted a bite to eat. They wouldn't cater for me so i had to resort to a pizza delivery. I had to haul my own heavy luggage up the steep flight of stairs and literally look for my room. The room itself was awful. Dated decor and really unwelcoming. The tv was terrible no remote control and only 5 channels and 2 repeated theselves. Tea and coffee but only enough milk and sugar for one cup. The single bed with the smelly bedding was pushed directly under a drafty sash window which i had to pull away from the wall to try and get warm. I asked for an iron 3 times before they eventually brought me one. Breakfast was served from 7am and you needed night vision in the dining room which was dimly lit by the reception area light. The food was not bad. Wouldn't recommend or ever go to again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I booked this hotel for a night mid-week as I was working in Leicester, and don't really like the concrete and glass chain hotels. Then I read the previous reviews (which were not terribly positive about the place) !

Firstly, it is a lovely building, there is plenty of car parking and it is fairly near the centre.

On arriving I found the staff welcoming and helpful. I explained that I really could do with good wifi and they tried to find me a room with a better signal than the first that they gave me (they explained that it is better at the front of the building). The standard rooms themselves are small but perfectly adequate. They were clean and had a reasonably modern shower room.

I ate in the restaurant (only one other guest doing so - but it was a wet october night midweek), and had a very nice steak, for a reasonable price.

The bar is comfortable, the breakfast was fine.

All in all a perfectly acceptable place to stay, and far more homely than the chain hotels. I can't comment on the Sunday lunches, or how they would cope with a busier event ! But I will probably stay there again next time I go to Leicester (and am paying for my room myself).

Room Tip: Front of the building for better wifi, apparently
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank southdown_hare
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Good food, Good customer service but portions too big, will recommend and go back. love the decor, The staff were friendly and always helpful. plenty of parking . the food arrived on time and was good the lamb was cooked to perfection just the way I like it. drinks are not to expensive and reasonably priced.if you want a good meal and drinks in leicester you cant go wrong with the regency

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bonejohn
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Went for Sunday lunch well never again how the mighty have fallen avoid at all cost do your self a favour go to KFC at least it's fresh there ,the staff are clueless the food well not in even worth talking about its that bad ,they ruined my birthday can and never will for give them please avoid

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stevechef64
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Unaware that the Regency was under new management, we booked a celebration Sunday lunch there but, when we walked into the dismal, badly lit bar area it was immediately apparent that the cosy, old fashioned charm this hotel once possessed was gone. Black tablecloths and paper napkins in the dining room did nothing to raise our spirits and the food was dreadful. Tepid, gloopy soup with diners rationed to one small read roll and a dab of butter. No toast was served with the pate, the meat was overcooked (one choice was described as "roast lion of pork") and the member of our party who bravely chose the latter was provided with neither apple sauce nor crackling. The roast potatoes were burned and flat, soggy Yorkshire puddings were flooded with thick, oversalted gravy, inaccuratey called "jus" on the menu. The waiters who served this awful meal on cold, small plates were pleasant but fairly clueless - the bottle of wine we ordered was brought to the table already opened. Having enjoyed several happy family celebrations, including a wedding, at the Regency, it was sad to see the dining experience there reduced, due to bad management and cost-cutting to the level of a third rate nineteen thirties boarding house.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank 68sophia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Please, please, please, avoid this place at all costs!
This was supposed to be glorious family occasion and something to remember for future.
The tragedy that occurred from the implacable service and ghastly food that was plated in front of us is beyond comprehension.
The waiters were clueless not rude, no fault of theirs may I add, but the brains of the person in charge is responsible for the inept service, the starters were confused, the mains of which was to be Sunday roast, turned out to be chicken which was dry and resembled a wooden block with a drizzle of wood stain! One! yes one roast potato and a few boiled potatoes which seemed lifeless, generous to a fault, I don’t think so! Then the vegetables arrived on a separate platter there is hope I wonder? To no avail, these vegetables were poorly prepped and the goodness taken away from them, dry and horrible to look at let alone eat. And to top it all off it was all cold, yes a plate of cold food and my chicken may have well have come out frozen! My 10 year old prepares better quality food than this! It was dreadful!
What was the chef thinking? Or drinking! I wondered later if there was a chef at all! It tasted microwaved.
The crème de la crème is later ringing this place and speaking to staffs, which were too scared to give their names! Asking for an explanation was like getting blood out of a stone, no sympathy, no refunds or apologies!
Really we would have been better off at MacDonald’s at least we get free sauces!
£20 per head this cost, it was not worth £5. It is with regret that this place has no morals or business acumen, a sad loss for them as we won’t be return or be recommending.
Again I emphasise Please, please, please, avoid this place at all costs! Please read previous review too….

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family