“Good food, very good, knowledgable staff”
Review of Leeja Palace

Leeja Palace
Ranked #101 of 1,154 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
UK
“Good food, very good, knowledgable staff”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I ate here with my partner and 2 of her (adult) children on Saturday night. This was my 2nd visit to this Indian cuisine restaurant, although my partner has been here many times.

A great selection of Asian dishes are available and the staff were happy to guide us through the choices and even have the chefs personalise a dish the way we like it.

The food quality is very good. Portion sizes are about right. Prices are on a par with similar restaurants in the area.

The wine list is adequate and they both bottled and draught beers available at reasonable restaurant prices.

Service is very friendly, efficient and not overbearing. Diners are not rushed to finish their meal and leave.

Ambience is modern and airy and the ambience relaxed and modern.

Do ask for a table at the window.

This 1st floor restaurant is accessed up two flights of stairs (no elevator). There is plenty of parking to the rear of the restaurant.

We will be back.

• Visited July 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Nice local Indian”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We often have takeaways from Leeja Palace, but on this occasion they were obviously extremely busy and so we decided to spend the time we would have taken waiting for the delivery in the restaurant with a beer - great decision!
The waiters are very friendly and you should expect a more jovial attitude from some of the servers, but hey, if you cannot take a joke, you should probably not leave the house!
We ordered a range of starters and poppadoms to share between four and then various rices, naans and four great curries. This alongside a couple of beers each for me and my father and a bottle of wine for my mum and girlfriend. The total price for all of this was very reasonable and I will definitely be going back for more...

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank SamJ223
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and friendly staff”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

After reading the reviews of this place I can't believe that there are people out there who do not rate this place. Whenever we have been the food has been consistently excellent, the staff are very friendly and helpful and go out of the way to make us feel like valued customers. I find Khan's teasing humour fine and believe that Steve B might be over sensitive perhaps, I have certainly never known him to humiliate anyone in there. Sun, Tues & Thurs is 2 for 1 on main dishes. The seats by the window look out onto Oadby Parade which is certainly more interesting than siiting next to a wall. Will continue to use as a regular for curry nights out.

• Visited May 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant restaurant - take Steve B's review with a pinch of salt!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to Leeja Palace and intend to maintain this for a long time. I have had many meals at the restaurant and have never been disappointed with either the food or the service. The staff are warm, friendly and welcoming and they go out of their way to make my family and I feel welcome whenever we visit. Khan is often our host and he will crack a joke or two, but it is always friendly and he also provides excellent advice when I want to try a new dish. Whenever my parents come to Leicester to visit they want to go back to Leeja Palace, and the warm welcome is part of that reason. More importantly, the food is brilliant. Always cooked to the right consistency; I tend to go for chicken tikka bhuna as a standard but every other time try something new, but the meat is always tender and succulent and full of flavour from the curry. My wife has delicate tastes so she tends to go for butter chicken, biut this is the only Indian restaurant she will eat at as it is the best butter chicken she's ever had! I often order off menu and have aloo ghobi (potatoes and cauliflower) as a side dish and it is amazing every time. The meals are also very generous in size - we have been known to take a doggy-bag home with us! The food is served really freshly cooked and kept on hot plates at the table (not all restaurants do this) and they always bring us a complimentary drink at the end of the meal, with a warm handshake as we leave. We occasionally go on a Tuesday or Thursday when it is buy one get one free on the main courses; I think the restaurant is good value anyway but this is even better! There is ample parking available in the public car park just behind the parade of shops in Oadby, and they will also do orders for takeaway. I cannot recommend Leeja Palace highly enough, and will keep going back!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank MLambert51
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, style not substance”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

When we walked in and saw the clientele I should have left, the target market I Europeans, and the food & style reflected this. Chana Chaat, laughable and wrong, salmon tikka burnt, seekh kebabs flavourless. Fish and lamb were in the same sauce, the meat did not taste as if it had been cooked in the sauce but boiled and added. Portions of rice were small, you had to look to find fish & meat pieces. Ask for tAbles near the window, the restaurant is at the top of stairs, no lift. The food is fresh, but go to London or Melton roads for authentic flavoursome food, you do not expect to leave an Indian restaurant wondering whether there is salt & chillies in UK. Service was fine, but a really disappointing experience, but pretty.

• Visited April 2013