“Pay for what you get!”

Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Leeds, Alabama
“Pay for what you get!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here for one Saturday night, found the hotel in a good central location in Leicester. Nice hotel with a good traditional decor, clean and comfortable rooms and friendly and efficient staff. What is frustrating is having booked breakfast and unable to take it the next morning I was still made to pay for a service I was unable to use because it was apparently pre-paid even when I have to pay on departure. Clearly with a bit of common sense this problem could have being resolved rather then spoiling the enjoyment of the rest of my stay, even after direct contact with the hotel after my stay.

Room Tip: Don't book any extras in advance and just pay for services you take at the time.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManager012, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with the response by our Reception team, but we are unable to refund anything that is booked through a third party.
Once again thank you for posting a review and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future for a genuine and hassle free stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner decided to book this hotel after a lovely stay at the Sheffield mercure.

We knew the building itself was old/listed so were not expecting modern mod cons that are available in Sheffield.

However......we were allocated room 202, which is tucked away in the corner. It's clearly been turned into an extra room at some point in the past. Nice decor and comfy bed, however the room itself is tiny. Ok for the one night but would have complained if we were staying for longer. The bathroom was also tiny, with a broom cupboard style door. If i was obese I wouldn't have managed to fit through it! There is a lack of attention to detail. The toilet seat was ancient and not lined up properly (looked nasty). The sink was tiny, with a big shelf right above. Brushing teeth could give you a hernia trying not to miss the sink when spitting toothpaste out.

The next morning, we were rudely awaken by loud music coming from directly above us. This forced us to get up earlier than expected and couldn't take advantage of the late check out. When informing reception there was no apology, and the receptionist didn't seem to care as she carried on sorting something else out whilst I was talking.

The window in the room wouldn't open either. Glad we weren't staying during the recent heat wave!!

Wouldn't book again in a hurry.

• Stayed September 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

All of our bedrooms are of a differents shape and size and not your modern souless box. Had my team been aware that you did not like the size of the bathroom in your room they would have gladly moved you rooms.

I was delighted to read you liked the new decor and bed in the bedroom.

If there is one thing my team are very good at is looking after customers as per most previous tripadvisor comments. I was disappointed to read that you felt that the receptionist didn't acknowledge your comment regarding the noise. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

Once again thank you for your post and if you are in the Leicester area again please do give us another try and request a larger room and I am confident you will have a pleasant stay.
Garstang, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here for a few days whilst on business in Leicester. The location is good, but a nightmare if you are driving and don't know the one way system. I was glad I could walk, rather than drive during my stay.
The staff were friendly and delivered good service, but the hotel itself and the rooms were tired and a little shabby. The view from my room was depressing as it simply looked into a dirty courtyard / roof between other rooms. On the plus side it was quiet. I didn't eat in the hotel other than for breakfast which was OK, but the breakfast room itself was lacking in character, being just one big open space. Overall it was OK, but I think I'd try somewhere else if I visited Leicester again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a better view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Obviously we are disappointed by your headline. We are currently going through an investment program and our bedrooms are looking great. Brand new comfy beds that customers are loving, carefully selected decor and design in keeping with the age and style of our Grade 11 listed hotel.

We are in the evaluation stages of deciding how the ground floor area could look and function. We would like to create a stylish area for people to meet, eat and drink.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the team who do try and provide great customer care at every opportunity.

Once again thank you for your review.
Tauranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We arrived at this hotel from a long hall flight. It was the old Grand Hotel. The entrance and reception were just great. When we saw this we thought we were made. we registered and was given our key. We entered the lift to our floor. Well when we came out of the lift we thought that we were in a different hotel. Old tired paintwork and threadbare carpets. We went to our room on entering the floor boards were creaking so much that we thought that we were back in NZ having an earthquake. My wife immediately phoned reception to ask to see another room. she was showed two other rooms. because we were so tired we decided on one that again was very tired the beds were small and very high (old). We thought that we would just check out next day. We slept not bad next morning we went to breakfast and was surprised by the quality and friendliness of the staff. So we decided to stay the second night. We went out and to our amazement when we came back they had changed our beds to brand new ones as all of the beds in the hotel. A little hard but good. So my comment is if they continue upgrading the bedroom and restaurant areas they will soon be able to call it the grand again. But hurry or they wont have the clients to pay for it.

Room Tip: Ask for upgraded rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am a little confused by your comments. All our rooms and beds have been upgraded and complete by the end of last week. Therefore we have no old beds in stock at all.

In relation to your headline, we are already in the valuation stages of a ground floor refurbishment. Which will flow through the rest of the hotel including the bedroom corridors.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the breakfast team, you should not have been surprised as most tripadvisor feedback state the team are excellent.

Once again thank you for your post.
Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here in August 2012, and decided to have a weekend away here again, We were not disappointed,
The receptionist was friendly, we found our room, it had a dressing area as you went in, then into the bed area, not over large, but you only sleep there, a nice ensuite, which had a bath, as well as a shower over it.
The breakfast had a good selection, and our meal on the first night , my husband had pizza and he said it was one of the best he had ever had! Also they did bottled Speckled Hen, a bonus for him.
It is so handy for the town and train station. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a great review.

It is always a pleasure to read such comments which I will share with the team as I am sure this will encourage all to continuously improve our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future where I am confident you will receive the same level of care and comfort.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel to be excellent value considering the central location and the facilities. The staff we encountered were all very helpful and friendly and the fact that there was a hotel car park for just £5 per night was the icing on the cake. I must mention the fact that the bag of dirty washing I left in the wardrobe was very kindly posted home to me after a rather embarrassed inquiry! We were also very pleasantly surprised that Leicester itself had so much to offer for a city break. We wish there was a produce market half as good as Leicester's in Liverpool.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted to read the comments regarding," value for the facilities we offer". We are going through a bedroom upgrade and regular guests are loving the changes.

May I thank you also for the comments regarding the team.

Leicester has and is changing as a city. The market is one thing that hasn't. Still producing great local produce. If we win UK Capital of Culture for 2017 it will change even further.

Once again thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.