“Good location”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stay in a lot of Accor hotels on my trips and the Mercure I like as the hotels are either old manor houses or original hotels. This goes for Mercure in Leicester the check in staff and breakfast staff are great. The bar staff well not so great as he was always on the phone and not too polite to the customer. The room are clean and tidy (Ask to stay in the sky rooms). The other good point is it has its own parking

Room Tip: Ask for the Sky rooms
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for writing a review.
On a positive note the Receptionist you praised was our 'Customer Service Champion' within the company for 2012 and likewise our quality and service through out the hotel shines in 99% of our reviews, I will certainly share your comments with the team.

However, I am sorry for your service in the bar, which is not acceptable, please be assured that the individual will be coached and monitored to ensure no further repitition.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Leicester

Shirley Morgan
Operations Manager

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here on business... impressed by the receptionist who was extremely helpful, professional and accommodating to my needs.

The room was impressive, very spacious, massive comfortable king bed and great to have a coffee machine in the room!

Unlike other reviewers I personally prefer not to have a buffet breakfast and prepared ordering it and the chef cooking it fresh.

I can understand why they would have a buffet breakfast i.e. when extremely busy.

My only critism is having to pay for the onsite car park. But this wouldn't prevent me from staying here again.

A big thank you to the receptionist who checked me in. I hope the management appreciate they have a gem with you.

Look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: June 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a positive review.

You stayed in one of our recently refurbished Privileged rooms which have a £20 supplement from our classic rooms. However for that £20 you do get unlimited movies, free high speed internet access, bathrobes and slippers, free newspapers, free water and biscuits, plus the Espresso coffee maker and not forgetting a large room with enhanced toiletries. I was really pleased to read the comments regarding the "impressive room", "very spacious" and "massive comfy bed". We are rolling similar schemes throughout the hotel which has already started with the arrival of new beds in the last few weeks and decoration starts next week 24th June and the throws, cushions, duvets, pillows etc to follow.

I also prefer a cooked to order breakfast and we do serve this when there is less than 60 guests in house.

I was extremely delighted to read the comments regarding our receptionist. We are aware we have a pretty friendly, professional and efficient front office team who do at every ocassion try and provide the sort of service you received.

The car parking is very reasonable at £5 per night for a city centre hotel with some of our competitors charging double. We are reviewing this currently.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you on your return to Leicester.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel friday night its a old hotel but has alot of character . The hotel staff were very friendly and helpfull .its very big and has nice spacouise rooms , nice big comfy beds . It is close to the center so can be abit noisy on a night but has everything you want around you . We would deffinatly stay there agian , the only complaint i would have is breakfast it said hot buffett but it wasnt buffet you had to order wat you wanted and wen it came it was cold . But you cant be perfect all the time , and it hasnt put us of we will definatly be staying agian gr8 staff a credit to the hotel .

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive and constructive review.

I was delighted to read the comments regarding the team and I do agree they are a credit to the hotel.

We have recently been replacing our beds to the new specification and I was glad you found them "big and comfy".

We are also about to to start our bedroom decoration as part of the bedroom refit, which we hope to complete by mid August. This will again enhance our product further.

I was disappointed to read about the cold breakfast as we cooked to order when there is less than 60 in house and this would normally come out piping hot. I personally went to breakfast this morning unannounced to check and my breakfast was beautifully cooked and hot. As you have stated we canot be perfect all the time but be rest assured we will be checking.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Went to a conference formal dinner here and was thoroughly surprised by the quality of the food. Really good starter of prosciutto with a raspberry coulis, excellent duck for main course, and the hotel was kind enough to replace my dessert with a cheese platter because of a nut allergy. Great quality, friendly bar staff, good attention to detail - really happily surprised! Recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review.

I was delighted by the comments regarding the quaulity and service of your food,which I will share with the team to encourage all to continue to deliver this quality of service at all times.

Once again thank you for your complimentary review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Shirley Morgan
Operations Manager

Reviewed May 31, 2013

was given room with window facing airconditioning fans,very noisy family was unable to sleep
leaking toilet and water seeping out from under the floor tiles
Very expensive for breakfast was chrged ten pound each for pot of tea toast and cereal

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was disappointed that we where not informed or given the opportunity to rectify the issues encountered at the time of your stay.

In terms of breakfast you had purchased a discounted rate at reception as the price for breakfast is £13.95. However you can have as little or as much as you want within the price paid.

If you are in the Leicester area again please do not hesitate to contact myself direct so I can personally make the necessary arrangements to ensure a pleasant stay.

James Conaghan
General Manager.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Two couples - two different room rates, one double the price of the other.
Dirty cotton bud in sink in room and carpet not vacuumed. No tissues in box. Television no user friendly.
Breakfast: no buffet and no toast offered with choice. On second day was informed should have finished at 09:30 hrs but they would extend this as the residents had been misinformed of the times by Reception. Very little choice on the buffet, no pastries. Was a bit hurried.
Noise in the evening went on until after 3 am and certain individuals were going from room to room talking loudly up to 5am.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Our rates vary from day to day, we have non-refundable non-transferable advance purchase rates which are normally cheaper than our full flexible rates. However these are other choice of the customer when choosing which rate is best for them.

I was extremely disappointed to read the comments regarding the housekeeping as clearly this is not indicative of the normal high standards of cleanliness my team provide plus not indicative of most other trip advisor comments.

Once again thank for your review and I do hope you will return and give us the opportunity to provide you with a genuine and hassle free stay.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here overnight for a work awayday. I was put in one of modern the ?sky studios at the top of the hotel. No view to speak of but the space was huge, in fact the entrance lobby could have easily accommodated a sofabed. The main room was also very large, comfy bed, clean linen etc. Full suite of tea/coffee/iron etc. We had an evening meal in an annexe which offered privacy. Food was fine though not much veggie choice. Breakfast you could have stuffed yourself with the full range of hot and cold options. Hotel 2 minutes walk from the station and central for shopping and amenities. We had a huge meeting room and were well fed and watered during our day. Hotel is really grand. Staff lovely. Only thing negative was that we managed to drink almost their entire supply of merlot. We may have got a group deal but value for money was eceptional.

Room Tip: I can't speak for the lower floors but I had the end studio so there was no footfall or doors sl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, l will pass your kind comments on to the team
You mentioned the short supply of Merlot which was a problem with the supplier and grape shortage! However we are now fully stocked again

Thank you again for your feedback we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.