“Very poor food, very average rooms” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
London
“Very poor food, very average rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Was not familiar to the area and If your coming by car its difficult to find. My sat nav had a tough job. Ended up having to park in a NCP car park.

Rooms look a little tired. Breakfast was the biggest disappointment. Tasteless scrambled egg with a horrible texture, beans cooked till they were just mush and strange tasting sausages. They have the cheek to want to charge £12.95 if not included in the room. I urge the management to try that food and honestly give there opinion, you cannot say it is worth anywhere near £12.95. I've had better airplane food!

1 Thank londonmackam
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review
I was disappointed to read that our breakfasts did not meet your expectations, we do regular checks on our buffet and the food is cooked fresh, however, we feel that are breakfast price is competitive in comparison to other hotels in Leicestershire.
Thank you again for your feedback which l will share with my Head Chef.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been coming to Leicester for a few years now and always stay here when on business.

I find it great value for a city centre hotel. Friendly & helpful staff.

Yes the hotel is old, but thats part of its character.

Looking forward to my return

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a positive review.

I was delight to read that you have been coming to us for a few years now and you find our location and value "great".

I was also glad to read you find our team friendly and helpful.

e look forward to seeing you on your return to Leicester.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here for 3 weeks throughout February and march. Cold dirty rooms, 1/2 inch of dust on lamps, tiny rooms, dated everything. Dinner was poor quality with 4star prices, slow chef as table of 6 waiting over an hour for food to be delivered plus a further 20 mins for plates to be cleared once finished.

If you have the choose DO NOT STAY HERE its trying to be something special whilst not giving ANY effort!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Obviously we are very disappointed with your comments and is no way indicative of our normal high level of service my team do provide.

I am really sorry you didn't bring it to our attention during the 3 weeks you were with us as I am sure it would have been rectified at the time had you informed us.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and if you are in the Leicester area again please do not hesitate to contact myself direct so I can personally make the necessary arrangements to ensure a pleasant stay.

Travelers are raving about these Leicester hotels

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here recently for one night on a business trip.

Unfortunately I wasn't very impressed. The view from my bedroom window was a very close brick wall that blocked most natural light, the decor quite dated and the cleanliness not great (really grubby TV remote, dusty skirting boards and hair in the shower). The hotel is not very soundproof either and I spent hours lying awake listening to the snores of the person in the room above me.

The room was large, reception staff friendly and it was a central place to lay my head, but I wouldn't stay again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your most recent post.

I was disappointed to read your headline and comments regarding the cleanliness. May I express my sincere apologies. My housekeeping team have a very good track record on cleanliness and this was an obvious oversight.

Thank you for the comment regarding the reception team as they are friendly lot.

Our location is great, right in the heart of the city.

Should you change your mind and would like to give us another try to experience our normal high level of cleanliness please do not hesitate to contact myself direct so I can personally make the necessary arrangements to ensure a pleasant stay.
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and i stayed here on our wedding night, as we had a meal there (after our wedding ceremony) in a private dining room; which was really lovely. Everyone enjoyed the meal and the service was excellent.
The bedroom was a superior room and it was nice and roomy, with a comfy bed and all the facilities you'd expect.
The only complaint we had was after going out for drinks, we arrived back at approx 12.10am and there was clearly a party going on in one of their function rooms - and it felt like we were right above it. I rang reception and was told there was a party with a disco, and they'd brought some large Indian drums with them. Then was told it would only last for another 50 minutes.. I was exhausted after the wedding, so was rather annoyed at the noise. I feel that the hotel should have mentioned this when we checked in.
The breakfast was nice; not a massive choice, but we enjoyed what we ate.

Room Tip: Just don't have a room above or close to the function room!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted you enjoyed your wedding with us and the service was excellent.

In relation to the other party that was taking place, we were not informed that they would be drumming at that time of the evening. My team did pull the plug on the event as we had no prior notice so we could not inform other guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

When you do see the picture of the hotel you do think, wow, impressive building and there should be a big square opposite of it to take the shot. If I would have visited street view, I would have seen that it is in a shopping street! Although the building is impressive, this picture toke some artwork to create.
The hotel itself is offering good parking places for a reasonable fee of £5/night and is, as mentioned in the middle of Leicester, convenient for shopping and going out for a beer or dinner. I had a so called "Sky Suite" in this hotel and it is on the top floor, but a suite is something else (in my opinion) These rooms are nice, silent, nice bathroom but not more or less. Offering free tea making facilities etc. just what you are familiar with when you know the Mercure Hotels.
I didn't enjoy the left over hair in the bathroom sink, but that can happen, although it is the 1st time I have experienced this in a hotel. Conclusion, a good business hotel in the middle of the city, you can got stuck in morning traffic if you need to visit companies which are outside the centre, but also this is common in Europe nowadays.
One very positive remark, I was welcomed by an exceptionable friendly young woman, great in her communication and I suppose she will have a great future in this Industry, one of a kind you do not find so frequently nowadays.

Room Tip: If you want it quite, take a "SKy Suite" on the 5th floor
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was disappointed to read the comment regarding the bathroom sink as it normally doesn't happen here as my housekeeping team are pretty consistant at delivering excellent cleanliness.

On a real positive note I was delighted to read your conclusion and the feedback regarding one of my reception team.

Once again thank you for posting a detailed review.
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just stayed here for one night having , and overall we were very impressed. The room was large, clean and pleasant, with all the facilities you would expect including tea and coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board, hairdryer and TV. The king-size bed was not only huge, but very comfortable, and the blackout curtains kept all the light out so we both enjoyed a very good night's sleep! The view from our room wasn't great, but that didn't matter to us. The location of the hotel is perfect, just minutes walk from the train station and right in the middle of Leicester. The staff were also friendly and professional.

The only thing that let it down was the bathroom... it was very small and cramped (especially in comparison to our room, which was so spacious) - but this wouldn't have mattered if everything had worked okay. As it was, there was definitely something wrong with the plumbing - the hot tap sputtered so badly that it was almost impossible to use it (both in the sink and the bath/shower) and the water from the 'cold' tap was, at best, lukewarm, which was a shame as it meant we couldn't really drink it. As we only stayed for one night, this wasn't a huge issue and more just an inconvenience, but if we'd been staying for longer it would've become very annoying. Not sure if this is a problem affecting the whole hotel our just our room, but hopefully it will be sorted out soon as it's the only thing stopping the hotel from being worthy of its 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

In relation to the plumbing, this seems to have been an isolated incident as we had no other comments regarding the issue you encountered. I have instructed my Mainteneance team to do a check of every room today to ensure that your concerns are taken care of.

We have just invested some monies into some of our bedrooms and the room you discribe as large and spacious is one of the bedrooms that have had a new bed. I was delighted you found this very comfortable.

Our location as stated is perfect for a city break in Leicester, just being minutes from the train station, Curve Theatre and the shopping areas.

May I express my thanks for the feedback regarding the team as they are very friendly and professional.

Once again thank you for posting a positive review, the plumbing aside and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.