“Good Hotel”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed in the Mercure hotel on Granby st in Leicester for one night. The reception staff were helpful. The computer systems were not working when I had arrived so reception staff were a bit slow but it was completely understandable. Thanks to o2 I got a free upgrade to a priviledge room. My suite was nice. good sixe bed, very spacious. The bathroom was abit small but very modern. It was cold as I walked in but I had a heater in my room and within minutes it was warm.
The location is real good, right in the centre of Leics. Many food restauarants and takeouts close by. Clubs and bars only across the road. I stayed there on the weekend and I didnt hear a thing from the lively streets of Leics.
All in all a good hotel. I think maybe a bit over priced for what it actually offers however every now and again you may bump into a good deal like I did and in that case it was definitely worth the money.
Please note the fee for their car park if staying overnight is £5. which being in the city centre is quite reasonable.
I would recommend this hotel but not at full price. If I bump into another good deal I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review and the headline "Good Hotel".

I was delighted by the comments regarding the team, as with most previous tripadvisor posts our team are highlighted for their helpfulness, great customer service and politeness.

I note your point in relation to the thought we are over priced for what we offer, we are comparable with our competitors with pricing however we have 4 stars above our door for service when most of our competitors have 3. Interestingly you also received one of our partnership emails from O2 offering a complimentary upgrade therefore I would suggest we were good value for money for your most recent stay as it normally costs £20 for an upgrade.

Once again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Leicester.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

A return trip to the Mercure Hotel Leicester one year later and the great customer welcome and experience is as good and consistent as 12 months ago.

This was as good as I've had at some of the best hotels across the world. Receptionist Liliana ought to be snapped up by a five or six star establishment. Once again the welcome at breakfast was outstanding. The polish waitress (didn't catch your name) is another excellent example of how to make guests feel cared for.

The upgraded room was contemporary and a positive contrast to what is an old hotel that is obviously difficult to modernise in some of its vast areas.

The staff truly make a difference here, making up for an old establishment feel in this historic local building.

Room Tip: Go for a superior/upgraded room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Glenn B thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was extremely pleased to read your fantastic comments regarding the team and in particular Lilli and Anna (breakfast). They are as previously stated a great bunch who work very hard at every ocassion to provide the sort of service you recieved to every guest.

Once again thank you for posting a very positive review.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here with my fiancée for a night, we are always staying in Wakefield thought try something different. The staff are great especially counter staff Liliana who had great customer service skills always smiling making her guests feel welcome.
This brings me to the room, bedroom itself is not too bad. Nice bed to sleep in and the room is spacious. The tv was of poor quality making fuzzy noises and the picture was also poor. The bathroom??? Toilet and sink are of horrendous state. You have to keep flashing in order for the toilet to flash the sink is disgusting, with only little water coming out and have to wait for few minutes in order for the warm tap to kick in.

Oh my god the noise, is awful coming from outside. Perhaps sound proof or double glazing windows are required.

I would be surprised if this hotel is even a 3*, poor maintenance I would say. Needs investment in the bathroom . Overall not bad stay. Stayed In many hotels all over the country, have seen worse. Location is great.

• Stayed February 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

I was delighted by the comments regarding Lilli. She is one of a team of recetionists who try and make every guest feel as welcome as you did.

In terms of the bedroom, I was glad yo found the bed to be good and the room to be spacious.

In relation to the bathroom and TV issues, a simple phonecall to reception and I am confident my team would have rectified straight away.

I note your comment regarding double glazing, being grade 11 listed this is not possible. However we have just completed the installation of secondary glazing to all our front facing rooms and when sealed completely this does drown out pretty much all the noise.

Once again thank you for posting a review.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at the really good value for money and the price of the room at the Mercure in Leicester.
Considering it is a city centre hotel and upmarket in it's appearance it was only £3 dearer than a Premier Inn just up the road to stay for the night.

The room was an excellent size with plenty of drawer space and a really high good quality bed with plenty of pillows. The en-suite was a good size and the tea,coffee, tv etc were well provided for.

The breakfast was a buffet style with plenty of variety from the cereals, to the continental style to a full English with plenty to choose from.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to stay in Leicester for the central location and the facilities provided

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you TigersFan67 for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

Delighted you had an excellent stay with us and you found us great value for money.

All our rooms differ in size and I was glad to read your comment on the size of the room, the quality of bed (which is the standard we are rolling out at present throughout the hotel), ensuite was a good size and not forgetting the 4 pillows on the bed and the tea/coffee making facilities.

I was extremely pleased to read the comments regarding breakfast, as we work continuously to try and improve our offering on a regular basis.

Once again thank you for posting a positve review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I held my wedding ceremony & reception at the Mercure Leicester City Hotel on the 23rd December 2012 & was the best & most perfect day of our lives. The reason that the day was so perfect was down to the commitment, help and support recieved from every member of staff at the hotel. There was nothing that they couldnt and wouldnt do to make the day as it was & made me feel like a princess. Not only is the service, the best I have ever recieved, the hotel (Kings Hall is absolutly stunning) I can not fault the hotel, location, staff and service at all & can not thank them enough for everything they do to make my wedding so special & perfect. I highly recommend the hotel to anyone looking to stay in leicester. All wedding guests also commented on how beautiful the hotel is and how amazing and tasty the food was.

Room Tip: As the hotel is in the city centre, I imagine it can be noisy but the elegance, features and service...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear SarahS, thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post a review regarding your wedding held with us on the 23rd December.

I was delighted to read that your day was so special and I am glad that we played our part in making it so.

My team do work extremely hard to provide the high quality of food and service you received on the day to every single guest and often do not get recognised for it.

Thank you for the room tip also, however you will be delighted to know that every front facing bedroom has had secondary glazing fitted last week and therefore any previous noise issues that customers may have experienced will be dramatically reduced or eradicated.

Once again thank you for posting a very positive review and I wish you and Mr Smith a very happy and fruitful life together.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Placed in the centre of town with loads of parking spaces on site which is included in the price. Ideal for a night out or business as there is plenty of places to eat. Hotel is a three star plus with friendly staff some rooms are dated but not all and believe the price balances this out. The place is always warm and bright , have never eaten here only had breakfast but restaurant always busy . If your a family looking for an hotel it's ideal

• Stayed January 2013
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to such nice comments regarding the team and hotel.

We are centrally located with 120 car park spaces which is a great asset for a city centre hotel.

One again thank you for posting a review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.