“Mixture of old and new”

Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Nottingham England
“Mixture of old and new”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is a large hotel in the city centre and has some grand features including its entrance. The room was fine although the bathroom window lacked any form of blind [just opaque glass and net curtain]. This from talking to colleagues also staying here seems to be quite standard but was not sufficient to ensure privacy.
Service at reception was good and there is a secure car park which is a plus in any city centre. We ate in the bar [pre booked] and although the food when it came was fine the service was extremely slow.

Room Tip: Streets below could be noisy at a weekend so try and face away from the main road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

As stated we are in the heart of the city only minutes walk from the train station and main shopping areas.

The hotel as stated in previous reviews is a mixture of Victorian charm with a modern twist.

The bathroom windows you refer to we have a few not many and they are not over looked however I will investigate how we can fit blinds rather than nets.

Glad you recognised the service on reception was good and the food at dinner when it arrived was fine. I must point out we don't serve food fast we serve it well.

Once again thank you for posting a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Ski Municipality, Norway
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel in downtown Leicester, and have mostly good things to say about it. I was given a 5th floor studio upon arrival, which was spacious and nice and had most of the amenities one would expect. But a couple of things must be mentioned. Firstly the bathroom, which had such a low and slanting ceiling that the mirror was mounted very low on the wall. In order to see my face I had to bend over. In addition, there is a great gap between the shower door and the floor, so that copious amounts of water splashed out onto the floor when I took a shower. Quite messy, and almost unexplainable in such a classy establishment, so I must just have been unlucky. Also their Wifi prices are ridiculous, every other hotel of camparable standard surely has free Wifi by now! Apart from this I have no problem recommending the hotel, staff was very correct and proper and I enjoyed the short stay overall.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

Delighted you would have no problems recommending us and our team are correct and proper.

There is very little I can do about the slant on the ceiling within the bathroom. This is part of our charm with no room the same and something different in each. The shower door has already been remedied.

We have complimentary Wifi in our lounge only at present however we are in the process of introducing free Wifi throughout the building. We are hoping to have this complete by Christmas.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Mercure have recently been picking up a number of older UK city centre hotels, often with limited parking but otherwise convenient located. The results are somewhat mixed as the other reviews suggest. When you walk in, there is a grand entrance lobby with some very traditional features - think of the 1920s novels of people like Winifred Holtby or Howard Spring. There is a fine staircase but only one rather inadequate lift. As you go up, the influence of the Accor chain becomes more marked in the decor, although the carpets are less lurid than many of their hotels. The bedrooms, as often in older hotels, are a good size and mine was clean enough. The ensuite bathroom carved out of one corner might be described as a triumph of miniaturization - or one where the user would have trouble swinging a Manx cat. There were a few traces of mould but it was clearly not easy to clean because of the gymnastics required to reach some corners. Sharing would be difficult because there was nowhere to put anything that would keep it dry while showering and morning ablutions involved a lot of naked wandering in out between bathroom and bedroom. It would have been better with a walk-in shower than trying to squeeze in a full-size bath. The TV channels bore no relation to the menu and were poorly tuned so this would not be great for a leisure visit. Other reviewers have commented on the rip-off internet charges, which are such a feature of UK hotels and just insult business travellers. In fact, part of the problem for the Mercure seems to be that it doesn't know what its market is, apart from corporate training courses, to judge by the breakfast guests. The one big positive was the attitude of the staff. Everyone I met produced a very genuine welcome and tried hard to assist with any problem or query. They may be trying to row this hotel uphill but they are a great bunch of people.

Room Tip: Some rooms would get a lot of street noise. Mine was at the back and didn't get much daylight.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

If you are looking for a hotel that is in a prime location with a good mix of Victorian charm with a modern twist then we are the hotel for you.

Our rooms do vary in size however most are in the larger bracket.

I was glad you recognised the efforts of my team as they are a great bunch as you have stated.

We do hope to see you soon on your next visit to Leicester.
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My observations of the weekend we spent at this "4 star hotel". First of all, i dont know how its kept its 4 stars and will be writing to Visit England suggesting a review.

Anyway, here were some of our observations. Rude staff, hot room, 4.99 per hour for Internet, key cards not programmed properly, poorly cooked breakfast, orange mould growing in shower, room didn't have an electrical socket near to the bed so my alarm ended up being on the other side of the room, housekeeping couldn't tell the difference between rubbish and non rubbish, generally dated and unpleasant, there is a swastika scratched into the door of one of the lifts, if the window is open it's noisy. If its closed it's hot.

After hours room service food is limited, and what there is is poorly prepared. Bouncers on the door were intimidating. Find yourself either locked in or out of the building during the night. There is one particular olive-skinned member of staff that was extremely unpleasant to my girlfriend. We got the impression that she thought she was better than us. Having said that, the lady who was working the bar was lovely...the same for the majority of reception staff.

In summary, I won't be staying again and I wouldn't recommend it. The Premier Inn is just around the corner and is much better.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Jaynedavid
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am disappointed by the comments made, as we have four stars because of the service we provide and if you look at most tripadvisor comments the staff are the real asset and most customers recognise that fact.

It is a city centre directive that any property selling alcohol has to have to have security on at weekends. My security team have been with us for many years and have always been nothing but polite, helpful and very professional.

If you are in the Leicester area please do give us the opportunity to provide you with a genuine hassle free stay.

Travelers are raving about these Leicester hotels

London
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Being African, I'm used to expecting a little less of hotel customer service. African hotels tend to overdo the custome care thing. Mercure Leicester has just changed my prejudice.
Their customer service skills were beyond their 4 stars. I was amazed. I asked for some favours that were ‘above and beyond’ call of duty of the staff and they were very helpful. I did have queries regarding billing but again, your staff deals with problems/ queries in the most friendly and personal manner. The events manager, Julian was very helpful, so was the lady at the bar yesterday morning. The ladies at reception were great. I was very impressed. I might have just been lucky, but I have no qualms whatsoever about recommending this hotel to anyone. Icing on the cake was that my survey was actually READ! This hotel obviously takes customer care very seriously. Try it out for yourself!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post a very positive review.

As per most of the previous tripadvisor reviews, if there is one thing we are consistantly good at, it is looking after every single customer to the best of our ability. I was pleasing for me to read your comments as clearly the efforts my team go to are being recognised.

I will share this with the team as it does help for them to continually improve our services.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Ridiculous rooms, Dirty Showers, Poor Service, Dated Hotel. Only upside to this place is that it is in the city centre.

I certainly will not be going back here! I would have been better off at the Ibis or Premier Inn, Everything Premier but the Price. If you are looking to go to this place you will regret it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RobertM1976
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am extremely disappointed with the comments made as our rooms are very clean, very well maintained and at a price that is very reasonable.

We are in a great location and as per the previous tripadvisor comments our staff are fantastic.

Once again thank you for posting a review.
London
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Excellent location - 5 minutes from the railway station.

Hotel room is on the small side with door needing replacing - the hotel itself is very grand with excellent staircase. Staff are all very helpful. Carpet in hall in need of replacement.

You can park at the weekend for £5 per day.

Very comfy bed - BBC2 does not work for some reason

Got a really good deal £20-12 per night room only.

Breakfast is £10 or go outside turn right and you have a Weatherspoon pub available 60 metres away !.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager012, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was delighted you where one of the lucky ones who managed to take advantage of the special £20.12 rate we put on sale to celebrate the Queens Diamond Jubilee.

I was also glad to read our team were very helpful and the bed to be comfortable.

Breakfast is better here as you can have as much or as little as you want.

I hope to see you soon on your next vist to Leicester.