“Victoria & Jonathon”

Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Victoria & Jonathon”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We have recently booked to stay at this hotel in June. We have stayed here twice before and absolutely love it. The location is fantastic for everything you need whether it is shopping, eating out or a night on the tiles. The rooms are always immaculate with everything you need and the staff cant do enough for you any time of day or night, in particular the restaurant / bar staff who waited on us one evening whilst dining where especially attentive, one in particular had good knowledge of the history of the hotel and we enjoyed a lovely conversation with him about this.The car park is well lit and as secure as it can be. On our first visit the car park was free but Mercure had taken over by our second visit and we were advised there would now be a charge which we were astonished to find was only £5 for our duration, as a seasoned traveller I found this extremely cheap for a city centre. I have recently stayed in Brighton and the parking was nearly £30! I can not recommend this hotel enough and the city of Leicester has something for everyone, especially shopaholics!!!!

Room Tip: If you have a second floor room, you may be lucky enough to pick up the free wi-fi from the bar area...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a postive review.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding the team and especially our Restaurant Manager who gave you a history lesson over dinner.

It was also pleasing to read the feedback regarding the rooms being immaculate.

Our car parking is very reasonable at £5 per night for a city centre hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future where I am confident you will recieve the same high level of service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Having stayed at this hotel on several occasions, I was disappointed to find, at check out, that I was charged £5 to park my car overnight. On the plus side, we were pleased to discover that we could check in early, staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast was good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony143
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for posting a review.

Our car park is very reasonable for a city centre hotel at £5 per night and is infact cheaper than most of our competitors.

On a positive note I was glad to read the comments regarding our team, they work extremely hard to provide the best service at all times and I was delighted you recognised that.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in room 505 room was spot on and hotel is lovely bar is a bit pricey but plenty of other reasonable bars just a short walk away, how ever at about 11 o'clock at night me and the misses just gettin off to sleep only to be woken up by the loudest music rowdy pissheads by the club opposite my room, I'm not being fussy either, I can stand a bit of noise but this was seriously bad, and also police and ambulance's going past with sirens on all night did not help , but other than that it wernt to bad !

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

The "senior rooms" that you have mentioned are "Sky Studios" and probably our most popular of rooms. We used to have an issue with noise from the club opposite about a year ago until we installed secondary glazing which until now had solved the problem. I can only suggest that the secondary glazing was not shut properly.

The noise aside I was glad to see the rest of your stay was not "too bad".
York, England
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Booked in for a one night weekend stay. The initial impression at check in was not entirely favourable. We arrived at 10 minutes to 2 and were told "check in is not until 2"!! After that, things improved greatly. A large room with an enormous bed, but the bathroom was tired and quite dated, as was some of the room furniture. Lots of evidence of previous ownership hurriedly covered over, but this may be work in progress, and the hotel exudes an air of slighlt faded grandeur. Breakfast was the real highlight of the stay - friendly and attentive staff in the restaurant and an excellent breakfast cooked to order (possibly because the hotel was very quiet). The location is very convenient, being a 5 minute walk from the railway station and very close to the city centre. The rate for the room was very good value for money, booked via the Accor Hotels website.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was extremely delighted to read your comments regarding breakfast, as the team do take great pride in the presentation and service delivery and I was glad you recognised their efforts.

It is work in progress and we are hoping to see substantial investment in the very near future.

IOW
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Have just spent a wet few days in Leicester with my family, but everything was sunny in this hotel The staff are so friendly and professional, nothing is to much trouble The quality and service of the food is second to none, l would highly recommend this hotel if you are going to be visiting Leicester, it is in the centre of town which is ideal for any excursions planned. The hotel is seeped in history not tired and shabby as previous reviews, we will certainly return

Room Tip: Family room ideal for couple with an 8 and 4 year old
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to such nice comments. I can concur it was a horrible wet weekend however I was glad to read my team did there utmost to make it memorable for all the right reasons.

Northampton
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel has recently been taken over by the Mercure chain and has obviously had some improvements made to it. Some reviews have complained about shabby carpets, but these must have been replaced as they all looked new.The location is ideal if you are looking for a city centre hotel. There is adequate and reasonably priced parking.We stayed in one of the executive rooms on the 5th floor. The rates were very reasonable and it did not cost much to up grade. The room was quite spacious and perfectly clean.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast was fine, although a little overpriced at £10.
All in all this is a good choice. It is an old building which has undergone some modernisation and is now perfectly fine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you Burt68 for taking the time to post a review.

Its always a pleasure to respond to such great feedback. We did change to Mercure in September 2011.

Although you have recognised some changes we are hoping to see alot more over the coming year which will inhance the apprearance of our hotel even more.

I was glad you recognised my reception team where friendly. We spend alot of time training and encouraging the team to be courtious and professional at all times.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Myself and my colleague spent two nights at the hotel and were wowed by the positive, friendly communication skills of the staff; they were excellent - Especially at reception and in the breakfast room.
We help organisations improve their customer experience and we witness a lot of indifference in the service we receive in businesses in the uK and abroad.

This is why the Mercure stands out; they seem authentically interested and friendly!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you Glenn B for posting such a positive review.

I was absolutely delighted to read the comments regarding the service recieved by my team. They are a fantastic group of people who I am extremely proud to manage as they do try at every given occasion to provide this sort of friendliness and courtesy.

It was also a pleasure that an industry expert in the field of customer service has also recognised this fact.

Once again thank you for your kind feedback and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.