“The Friendliest Hotel in Leicester?”

Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Brighton, United Kingdom
“The Friendliest Hotel in Leicester?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Myself and my colleague spent two nights at the hotel and were wowed by the positive, friendly communication skills of the staff; they were excellent - Especially at reception and in the breakfast room.
We help organisations improve their customer experience and we witness a lot of indifference in the service we receive in businesses in the uK and abroad.

This is why the Mercure stands out; they seem authentically interested and friendly!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you Glenn B for posting such a positive review.

I was absolutely delighted to read the comments regarding the service recieved by my team. They are a fantastic group of people who I am extremely proud to manage as they do try at every given occasion to provide this sort of friendliness and courtesy.

It was also a pleasure that an industry expert in the field of customer service has also recognised this fact.

Once again thank you for your kind feedback and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Spent a weekend break at the Mercure Leicester - extremely good value at £119 per couple for 2 nights B&B including dinner on the first evening. The hotel is very large, grand and spacious. It is in very good condition and looks to have been recently fully refurbished. Staff were all English and very friendly. Hotel room was large and well equipped. The city centre locaion is ecellent for sight seeing and eating out.

Room Tip: All rooms are different if you dont like your room ask to change
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a very positive review.

I was glad to read you took advantage of our fantastic summer offer of £119 for two people sharing including breakfast and dinner on the first night.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future where I am confident you will receive the same quality of service.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night it defenitley needs a refurb rooms are tired bedding had holes in it, beds are small even doubles, bathrooms are old and dated and the sound profing in the room is very poor could hear every door close on our landing. The hallways are tired with black tape holding the stairs carpet together on the 4th floor. Breakfast was poor buffet style all dried up, but hey it was only for one night what it didn't have in comfort it made up for in location right in the city centre and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. So come on mercure give this hotel a full refurb and sort out that awful buffet breakfast and your on a winner

• Stayed March 2012
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was disappointed to read the feedback regading breakfast as this is something my team do get right most of the time please accept my sincere apologies if this was not the case during your stay.

I note your comment in relation to tired rooms, we are hoping to see some investment in the coming months into some of the areas you have discribed however the room you did stay in is not indicative of all or rooms.

I was glad to read your comments regarding the team as they a fantastic bunch and are proud of the hotel and the service they provide and it is great you recognised that fact.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

Reception staff friendly enough. Parking and location handy for city centre.
Room was freezing when I checked in early. Carpets dirty and stained in room and hallway really shabby. Bathroom old and dirty grout/tiles. Shower dribbled .
Mercure you should be ashamed of yourselves for putting your name to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was disappointed by the feedback posted as we do maintain our Grade 11 listed building very well and please allow me to express my apologies if this was not the case during your stay. You will also see further improvements being made to the hotel in the coming year ahead.

I was glad to read that you recognised our reception team to be friendly.

Travelers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

I had to stay in the city for a meeting, I have to say that the hotel needs some work doing to it compared to other hotels that I have stayed in within the area. However I have to give the hotel staff 10/10 for their service. I needed some papers printing that I forgot to bring and the lady on reception was able to print these and have them delivered to my room. I gave them the address of where I had to go and they printed a map. I also wanted to say your team at breakfast are so friendly in the morning and the service is so much better than the other hotel I stay in. And everyone had a smile and great value for money. Will book again..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

It is always a pleasure to respond to some fantastic feedback.

My team work extremely hard to provide the best service at all times and I am glad that you recognised that they are outstanding.

I will share your review with the team as it is through comments like yours we can keep the team motivated to continually improve our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future where I am confident you will receive the same high quality of service.
Leicester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I remember this hotel as being the best on the city. However, it is now showing signs of it's old age.

Even after the cosmetic revamp done by the new owners, it seems to be out of date compared to the new hotel just down the road owned by Ramada - this hotel's previous owners.

The only positive is their own carpal but they charge £5 per day for that!

• Stayed February 2012
HMManager, General Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are in the process of change and you will see a number of improvements to our "Grand old Lady" in the coming months. Difficult to compare a beautiful Grade 11 listed building with plenty of character to a hotel that turned its key just over a month ago.

Our car parking is very reasonable at £5 per night for a city hotel and I was glad to read that you have recognised this.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

Great location, but the rooms are very worn and in need of refurbishment. If you just need a convenient place to stay, its fine. But if you're looking for a place with any character at all - look further, this isn't for you.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HMManager, Manager at Mercure Leicester The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are in the process of rebranding and you will see considerable changes in the near future to our beautful Grade 11 listed building that has lots of character.

It is in a fantastic location only 5 minutes from the train station and in the heart of a very vibrant city centre.