“Lovely little museum”

New Walk Museum and Art Gallery
Ranked #7 of 114 things to do in Leicester
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I've lived in leicester for years but only went here for the first time this year, really loved it. Had some really good little exhibitions and it is a good size because you can look round it all in less than an hour easily if just browsing or spend hours here reading all the interesting things.
Can't believe I hadn't come before, will definitely be quite frequently now, every time I wonder to town via new walk I'll stick my head in for a few mins

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The museum has a good turn-over of varied exhibitions which keeps it fresh and interesting. My favourite is the annual Open exhibition where any artist can enter a peice/s of work so the exhibition is very eclectic and has something for everyone. The museum shop is also nice to potter round after and great for some unusual gifts for Xmas/Birthdays.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I remember form my youth going here and marvelling at the amazing amount of stuff on display. Well things change of course and Ive been back since and come away feeling ever so slightly unfulfilled.
This time was better, with some interesting new (to me) exhibits and a show of inspiration here and there presentation wise. For me the art gallery bit is always a fail. I appreciate art has many many forms, but hey, you cant please all the people all of the time apparently. However, its a freebie, so really no one should complain. At the time of visiting there was some work going on for improvements so watch this space so to speak for an update when its all done and I get round to reveiwing again.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the restaraunt serves some nice stuff which is fresh cooked in house. The scones were fresh out of the oven and were delicious so compliments to the chef!
Worth a visit still if you havent been for a long time and at the momentthere is a magic and fantasy exhibit with some nice interactive stuff for smaller children.
I really wish local authority would spend more time money and effort on museums that could be and are an asset to any town.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Great place to take kids for a free day out , very educational with lots of interactive displays .
Good dinosaur collection & ancient Egypt spooky but exiting well worth a trip .
Cafe overpriced with no facilities to bring picnic , we bought our own sandwich for my 4 year old who has coeliac disease & cannot eat wheat/gluten but he was not allowed to consume them there even though we had spent money for 4 meals with drinks etc so disappointing for that .
Also shop located in a huge space in front of entrance so no avoiding with small kids ,,, funny that ! :) .
But overall all very good .

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We visited, without kids, during half term. Kids were encouraged to run around and explore and make things resulting in a fun-filled noisy atmosphere- exactly as it should be! We enjoyed the museum and all the kids were obviously enjoying the place, too! There is a great dinosaur exhibition, a fantastic Picasso ceramics collection, some thought-provoking German expressionist paintings, a collection of stuffed animals and a temporary exhibition on magic. Along with a cafe and gift shop and free admission, who could ask for more? Well, an exhibition on ancient Egypt, perhaps, but this was temporarily closed. If you live in or visit Leicester, make sure you visit this museum.