“comfortable”
Review of The Badgers Sett

The Badgers Sett
Ranked #443 of 1,201 Restaurants in Leicester
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Badger's Sett in Cropston is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

More a restaurant with bar rather than bar with restaurant. Lovely setting with a good number of outside tables overlooking a big field. Ideal for children in the summer.
Inside the bar is smallish but comfortable with nooks and/crannies. Service at the bar can be painfully slow at times. This is generally due to understaffing at busy times and can be very frustrating.
The restaurant area is varied and comfortable. The menu is normal for this type of chain pub but nevertheless usually of good quality and reasonably priced.
The staff, mostly young students, are busy, helpful and mostly cheerful.
Gets very busy in Summer due to outside facilities.
Better than most of this type. Worth a try.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Lovely pub. Beautiful area and pleasant surroundings inside too. We visited for lunch and the place was buzzing. Staff were very friendly and helpful even though it was so busy.

We ate from the set price menu which was very good value. I had the bacon and blue cheese salad starter which was delicious followed by the trout. Brilliant and cheap. I couldn't resist a dessert from the main menu as there were no wheat free options on the set price menu (chef please take note!) however the lemon meringue sundae was simple but perfect.

We were chatting for England as always and the afternoon disappeared fast but no-one made us feel that we should move on. All in all "The Badger's" is an ideal place for a gossipy lunch at bargain prices.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Poor service (from Duty Manageress) - didn't even light the candle on the table!

I would have thought this was one of the basics and was expecting a "romantic candle-lit dinner for two" when booking in advance in response to their special invitation promotion cards.

I reckon it was the first restaurant experience for the children in the family on the next table to ours as they were very excited about everything.

The food was average to say the least, and we were both up half the night with a massive thirst for tap water. I can only assume that they sprinkle something (preservative?) on the food before serving it up.

Tip: ask for a table away from the draughty entrance and draughty windows overlooking the carpark.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have recently started using the Badgers as our local at Swithland has upped it's food and wine prices. Whilst the welcome and atmosphere is good sometimes it is a little let down by the comfort occasionally chilly or seating not so comfy. Food is generally pretty good, just wish they'd spend out on better cutlery. Just looks cheap and dirty. Staff are great, only other comment would be to provide French mustard to go with their lovely steaks.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Beautiful area. Pleasant staff, Clean pub. My friend had soup - deemed "good". I had leek and mushroom pancake stack - which sounded great. The portion was insufficient for anyone with a normal appetite. Particularly a veggie. I think that veggies require volume (!) - I certainly do ... but there is, I feel, some logic to this. My food was just warm. I would not have known that a pancake was involved - had I not been informed by the menu. Still less, a "stack" of them! The "stack" resembled more a lump of pale stuffing. Nonetheless, the food was quite tasty. I might return - since it's a lovely area - but only for a drink or, perhaps, soup.