“Very good, but......”
Review of Troodos Taverna - CLOSED

Troodos Taverna
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Visit us at the Troodos Taverna to try our authentic tastes of Cyprus & Greece. We cater for all types of diners including vegetarians and vegans. We request vegans let us know when you book so we can ensure that we get fresh non dairy alternatives and can prepare you a delicious greek vegan dish. Please join us for a cool glass of Keo Beer or fruity Cypriot wine and enjoy our relaxed dining experience.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have eaten here on a number of occasions, bringing family and friends to sample Leon's inimitable hospitality and delicious (and plentiful) food.

The Mini Meze, at around £27-29 for two people is by far the best way to sample a little of everything on the menu, and I have never yet been left disappointed.

I booked a table for 10 for my father's birthday this last weekend. I have never eaten there on a Saturday night before (I usually go on weekdays) so wasn't aware that the Saturday night menu was fixed (and included live Greek music, which made for a fabulous atmosphere), something I feel I should have been made aware of (and I'll explain why later on)

The welcome was, as always, very warm indeed, you're greeted like an old friend and made to feel very welcome.

The food was superb, as always, and very plentiful (I had warned my family to bring their appetites)

The trouble was, when booking we weren't advised that the menu that evening was set at £22.50 per person, and we weren't told that children are charged the same £22.50 that the adults are (which I feel is very unfair, since the children in our party were young and didn't eat anywhere near what the adults did) so needless to say when the bill arrived we were flabbergasted. Had we have been told this, I probably would have booked elsewhere and saved my next visit for a weekday.

I know now that we really should have asked the prices when we first sat down, and checked whether children were charged the same. Had we known this in advance, we still probably would have apologised and left.

So needless to say I felt pretty bad for the rest of my family (my 72 year old Dad in particular) when they had to pay their share of the bill.

For adults, a £30 bill per head to include all the food, drinks and enntertainment would be considered good value, but to have to swallow £30 a head for young children too, that's a bit much.

I will eat there again, but I think I'll save my future visits for during the week.

2  Thank ElaineWykes

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went to Troodos to celebrate my sister's birthday. There were six of us and apart from my husband and I sharing a meze and Kleftico the others all had different dishes. They were all very good quality, very tasty, and well cooked. The ambience was warm, pleasant and cosy. The Greek music was in the background and not at all obtrusive.
The prices were very reasonable for what we got and the owner gave my sister a bottle of Commandaria so we could toast her birthday. Admittedly they were not busy that evening but the owner took time to chat to us and was very attentive without being intruisive.
We enjoyed our evening and will go back again soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I enjoyed my visit to Troodos Taverna. There were four of us and we had an enjoyable evening.
The place has a great atmosphere and the staff are friendly and pleasant.
The food was average though and I thought the prices were too high.
Not sure if I would return due mainly to the prices.

1  Thank peternm2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

A wonderful experience. Felt very welcome. I love flexible menus. The brandy sour was fabulous. Suggest you try the mini mere, the regular one is really large.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Sandwiched between the hair salon and chippy and facing the pub, but the moment you are through the door you are transported to Cyprus. Leon's family run troodos taverna has been in Glenfield for over 25 years. And there is a reason why, one of the best places to eat in Leicester. Fab home cooked Cypriot food, great value for money and proper Mediterranean service. Can not be beat top class, great for couples or large family parties. Just celerbrated a special family birthday with 29 friends and family great night, thanks to Leon and staff. Will be back for romantic meal two next week. Best visited in the week, when quieter for super special personal touch, but also excellent at weekends, but popular and busy. Leons special meze are amazing great value and a typically greek/cypriot way to eat, just make sure you skip breakfast and lunch. The Troodos Taverna NEVER Fails to please and Never disappoints.

3  Thank Jaywillott