“Poor service, food was good.”

Cafe Rouge - Leicester
Ranked #73 of 1,247 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Café Rouge Leicester is set within our Parisian restaurant design, take a seat in one of our beautiful banquettes with your favourite vin rouge and enjoy the authentic feel of your local bistro. We also offer a large outside seating area for a spot of al fresco dining. Located on the lower level of the Highcross Shopping centre, close toCinema de Lux, House of Fraser and John Lewis, the restaurant is the ideal place to grab a coffee, a quick bite while shopping, or enjoy a longer, more leisurely lunch with a glass of wine. Book a table now or call the restaurant for more information.
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I visited Cafe Rouge with a friend during lunchtime. I asked for us to be seated towards seat at the edge of the room, but I was denied by the waitress, even though the the restaurant was almost empty. The reason given was that they were going to get busier. However, during our lunch, it didn't get much busier and there was still plenty of seating towards the edge of the room. Really disappointed with the service. Also the atmosphere was pretty poor in the restaurant, it felt cold rather than friendly. The food was good though.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

First off - absolutely no complaints about the food. I had the sea bass and it was delicious. Rest of the party had a variety of dishes from salads to duck and all enjoyed them. Desserts were pretty good too. I would say that drinks seem expensive and pushed up a two course meal to £25 a head - not a very expensive meal out but not cheap either. Also, maybe it was my imagination but the sugar syrup for the Citron Presse seemed to me to be watered down. But that's a minor quibble.

Only thing that lets the place down is service. I don't think it's the individuals fault, they seem to be rushing from table to table and trying their best but we were left hanging around waiting for a dessert order to be taken and for the bill to arrive. Certainly doesn't seem to be a problem with food coming from the kitchen for instance, it was all the right temperature! I gave them a tip because I genuinely think the staff were trying hard to do what they could. More a matter of disorganisation or lack of staff rather than laziness I think.

We've eaten here a few times and the food is always good or better but service is often a bit off. Maybe a management problem rather than a people problem?

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Popped in after seeing The Book Thief. We only wanted a drink. The service was great and after asking us once about seeing the menu we were left along to enjoy our drinks.

Been to Cafe Rouge a few times and always had good service and food has always been excellent. Thanks for your hospitality.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Visited rouge last month not been there for a while last visit 12monthe ago was very nice this time a disaster bar area looked like a bomb hit it still was not cleared by the time I had left
Asked for a med steak got well done but because there was a hint of pink at one end the assistant manager decided that he knew better and that it was med end of story there was a lot of shouting and argueing comming from the kitchen won't be going back general manager not in control

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Went to eat here with my wife and daughters. Once we were seated, we were brought menus quite quickly, and that was where the service ended.... had to attract attention to make the order. Food was OK, although the medium steaks turned up Well Done! Didn't make a fuss as they were quite busy. Waited 15minutes after we had finished before the waitress (who repeatedly walked passed us) noticed and took away the plates. Waited another 10 minutes and then had to attract her attention to get the desert menus. Then another 10 minutes before we could attract her attention again to order. The only way to actually get the bill was to stand up and put our coats on. Needless to say, NO TIP!

1  Thank 1960mikeE