“Conveniently-located hotel at a reasonable price”
Review of The Belmont Hotel

The Belmont Hotel
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
London
“Conveniently-located hotel at a reasonable price”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed at the Belmont Hotel for one night in October. It was a last minute decision, based mainly on the hotel's location (close to New Walk) and room price, but I enjoyed my stay. The hotel staff were very helpful, as I had to ring a couple of times to check and confirm details. I arrived very late (after 11 p.m.) but had no problems with late check-in. I had deliberately chosen one of the non-refurbished rooms, as I was just looking for a place to sleep, and whilst the decor was (obviously!) old-fashioned, the bed was very comfy, the TV was more modern, and the shower was good, functional and hot (if not very pretty!). The room was also a decent size and I had no problems with traffic noise. I had a good night's sleep (and a good breakfast the next morning) and would stay here again if visiting Leicester for work.

Room Tip: The non-refurbished rooms are a bit chintzy and 80s, but offer good value for money if you're no...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LambethBarrister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed here with three friends for one night. I pre-booked the rooms, at least a month before. Upon arrival at the hotel, I discovered that although I had booked two rooms, they had only reserved one. This was not what I expected, especially when booking so far in advance. The receptionist did not seem to care and the Deputy Manager tried to fob us off with a bottle of wine as compensation, despite not even asking if any of us actually drank alcohol. TERRIBLE. We were then offered the only room available as an alternative, which was a smoking room. I'm sorry but since when are you able to smoke in hotel rooms?! It smelt vile and there was no attempt made to even freshen the room up with air fresheners - we were given a bottle of spray and expected to do it ourselves! Fuming! Rooms and the whole hotel infact, are very, very dated and require updating, which is a shame as it looks lovely from the outside. Managed to get a small discount on the room after being told, we already had the best rate available. Not acceptable. Not recommended.

Room Tip: Be aware that this hotel is HUGE. Be prepared for endless walks, down endless corridors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emma G
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
I'm very sorry for your experience. We are working to move our booking system to an online system early next year which should eliminate over booking. A great deal of our accomodation has been refurbished but yes we do still have 3 smoking rooms, this helps as we are able to offer them to smoking guests so that they don't smoke in our refurbished bedrooms. I have tried to contact you to discuss this further by emailing you via tripadvisor.
As a 4th generation family business for almost 80 years it pains me personally when we disappoint our guests.
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Location is very good with easy access to New Walk which leads straight into the city. Plenty of restaurants nearby, I ate in one night having wood pigeon to start which was a little over cooked the turkey dinner was very nice. Breakfast was excellent and all the staff very friendly oh and I did have , a sandwich for lunch also very good.

• Stayed December 2013
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Ian
Many thanks for leaving a review of your stay at the Belmont, we're very pleased you rated the location of the hotel with 5* and that you enjoyed your Turkey, breakfast & sandwich!
london, england
Reviewed December 1, 2013

On arrival we were given the keys to our room and duly walked the couple of minutes to it only to find that room had not been made up. Were allocated another which was duly ready. Pleasantly surprised with the room, excellent shower and decent bed, more attention could have been made to cleaning i.e. hovering of the carpets. This small point was to be followed throughout the hotel, lampshades not on correctly, dirty windows in restaurant and I had 2 coffees whilst there both served in cups with chipped rims. Small items I know but it is these small things that either make or break the decision to return or recommend. Very well located, good parking and inexpensive it just feels as though it needs a keener eye for detail from staff and management to elevate it above the norm. A drunken guest who could not find his room in the early hours disturbed our sleep on the night we stayed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nickclifton
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Nick, many thanks for the feedback about your stay, really glad you found the location excellent and enjoyed the room. I am ordering hoover parts as I write and have been into the bar and found three cups with chipped rims that have gone straight in the bin! I will talk to my bars manager about this, and that standards we must maintain, and to my housekeeper about the hoovering. I will also walk round with my housekeeper and maintenance manager and make sure we are more vigilant about the detail (including lamp shades) in future.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed here for a Cheistmas event....which went really well. The hotel had a discounted rate for the function guests and we decided that as this wouldn't cost much more than two taxis we would stay over. Our room was lovely....spotlessly clean and well decorated. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was delicious....piping hot and perfectly cooked.

I would certainly stay there again.

Thanks to all the staff

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JulieAnn
Thank you for your lovely review of your stay at the hotel. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your Christmas party, accomodation and breakfast, and that you found the team friendly & welcoming. Have a great festive Christmas!
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Firstly we only stayed here as it was walking distance to De Montfort Hall. When we got there the man who checked us in was rude, abrupt asked us some questions which we said no to all of them as we had to rush to the next place in the morning (did we want the paper in the morning? did we want dinner that evening? did we want breakfast in the morning?) I think this must have annoyed him as he was so rude he just said "credit card?" and held his hand out then gave us a room key. As we were walking away my husband had to ask how do we get to our room.

I think the worst part was the other guy at reception was serving a gentleman in a suit and was calling him 'sir' and he even asked if the guy would like help with his bags ( we had 3 heavy suitcases we had to lug up ourselves)

It wasn't until we were back from the show we went to that we discovered there is a car park off to the side and we had actually parked on the wrong side (would have been nice to have been told this at check in)

Carpets did not appear to have been vacuumed in our room either.

The next morning when we went to check out, The man said "checking out of room 119?" and I said "No, 118" and he apologized then asked for my credit card and lucky I noticed he was charging nearly double and when I asked why it was so much more I then noticed he was checking out room 119.

Honeslty was such a joke only plus was how close it was to the hall.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest
Thank you for your review of your one night stay at the Belmont, I'm very sorry you felt you were treated rudely by my team. The questions you were asked upon check in are not meant to frustrate but are part of a standard check in process to all guests. This would not explain the confusion with your bill though or why you were not offered assistance with your bags.I will go through this in detail with my reception manager.
It did sound like you were in quite a rush, so perhaps had you had more time they might have explained there was a main car park in addition to the drive along side New Walk.
Thank you very much for the 5* rating for location, as you mention we are very convenient for the train station, De montfort hall, Leicester university, a host of local businesses, New Walk Museum, and only a brief walk into the center of the city (but without much of the noise).
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Public areas are great, staff helpful and pleasant. Free WiFi is fast and the car parking free.
The problems were with the room. Tired, is the word that comes to mind. Not that bad, but not a good reflection of the rest of the hotel. Noisy plumbing went on until late. I was assured of better next time, so would try again.

Stayed November 2013
BelmontHotel, Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Many thanks for your review of your stay at the Belmont, I'm really pleased you enjoyed the free parking, free and fast Wifi and could relax in our public areas. I'm very sorry that your room dissappointed, we have been held back in our refurbishment program but are hoping to push ahead with another large section from January 2014. As a family business it does pain us when we fall short on delivery to our guests, please rest assured my team and I are committed to improving all aspects of the our guests stay.