“Never Again, You Be The Judge”
Review of The Belmont Hotel

The Belmont Hotel
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had booked an Executive Double Room ( room 301) ,end of building, top floor. UK had experienced 3 days of 27 C so room was a sauna. We had to ask for a fan! Room had only one window (. Opened only 3 cm ) We asked to be put in another Executive Suite however this did not seem possible. Raj, the duty manager managed to put us in a double room on the ground floor where we stayed for the 2 night quite comfortably. On our departure , Steve, the duty manager charged us for our Executive Suite. I waited some time to see if there would be an adjustment due to the " room " change. He just said that was all OK. I then put it to him that there would be a difference in tariff! Yes a hasty re- adjustment of the account, some 40 pounds with his female assistant making a quick retreat to the safety of the back officer
It's a pity as it's not a bad hotel , Staff at breakfast were great especially Naicho ( sorry if the spelling is wrong)
Not the way to go , RIPPING THE CUSTOMER OFF

Room Tip: Do not stay here in hot weather, do not get an Executive Suite 301, 302, end and top of building
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
BelmontHotel, General Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Ed
Steve is very embarresed about this error he has explained to me this morning that the change was on the shift report, but that he had neglected to make the adjustment before you arrived to check out by which point he had forgotten all about it. He is very sorry for this, and I'm very sorry that you interpreted this as a "rip off". We wouldn't still be here as a family business after almost 80 years (2014) if we tried to rip people off.
Thank you for your kind comments about the rest of your stay, and about Nacho who is a service super star in our eyes.

There are newer reviews for The Belmont Hotel

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked this hotel because we had tickets for a concert at De Montford Hall. We ate in the hotel bar and then strolled to the venue only about 5-10 mins walk.
We stayed in a lovely room with chic new decoration. There was a huge and comfortable bed.
There is a free carpark at the rear of the hotel.
The breakfast was a bit of a let down but overall we would recommend this hotel.It is just off New Walk a leafy pedestrian road that leads straight to the heart of Leicester. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chippy6667
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Only visiting the area and chose to stay at the Belmont after checking out TripA and hotels and B&Bs in the area near to where I wanted to visit friends!
The Belmont was easy to book direct on-line on hotel website. What type of room I wanted, lots of options as I was solo this time. I could pay for my breakfast which was £10 on line in booking too. So all in all I chose double room single occupancy and two mornings for breakfast. Prices meet my needs which I thought very good.
Check in so simple as I had booked and paid before. My room was lovely and big, and quiet. Room super clean and bathroom too. All brillilant. The buffet breakfasts in the morning was more that adequate, it was great, continental and full english, what more could you want. The service of the breakfast staff was fantastic. Efficient, friendly and helpful and fast.
Thanks Belmont I will be sure to return again and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FaM588607
BelmontHotel, General Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear FaM588607
Thanks so much for your reveiw, we're really pleased you found us fast, efficient and friendly and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Belmont

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I live in Eastbourne on the South Coast, and a friend of mine and I decided to go to Leicester for a couple of days to "do" the Richard lll exhibition at the Guildhall and the Bosworth Battlefield. We booked a standard twin room via their website for two nights (23rd and 24th July) and found the room to be in excellent order overlooking the pleasant "new walk" which leads to the city centre. The room was big with its own en suite, which was clean, and the beds were comfortable, ie not hard! Lovely white towels for use, hairdryer, ironing board all in situ. It also had a small writing desk with mirror and a settee in it. The hotel benefits from its own car park, so no on street parking to worry about while you're in the town. We didn't eat in the main restaurant, but we could have done and they had two extra bars including a bar food area. The breakfast was excellent, and presented well with white linen tablecloths and silver cutlery etc. Staff very friendly which makes a huge difference. We will definitely come back to this hotel again, even if we come by train as the station just 5 to 10 minutes walk away. I recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank anmar61

Dear anmar61
Thank you so much for your review, we're very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to the Richard 3rd exhibition - We're already looking forward to the arrival of the full visitor centre which we understand is due sometime next year- Thanks for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked a suite for an overnight stay. The room was lovely, the bathroom brilliant (though there was a damp patch on the bedroom ceiling). The bed was lovely and comfy and the general decor and finish was good. The location was close to the city centre and was quiet, positioned next to New Walk.

Breakfast was buffet style, and had a wide range of foods that were fresh, hot and topped up as needed.

As others have said it was as hot as the sun in the room with a solo fan valiantly fighting a losing battle, but this did not cause huge issues and we shouldn't really complain when we get a summer!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
BelmontHotel, General Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear 71ajh
Many thanks for your review of your stay, I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your lovely room and comfortable bed, and thank you for highlighting the fact that it has been unusually hot (not that the sunbathers are complaining!) We would love to provide air con for our guests but a combination of cost and planning restrictions makes this quite challenging but we are looking at our options as we don't like to dissappoint (or cook) our guests.
Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a no- frills hotel in a good location, with a bar and restaurant of reasonable quality. But the things seemed not to work in too many different ways. When i arrived, they could not fond a record of my reservation, and did not see that it had already been paid. The elevator to the third floor did not work, and no one offered to carry my luggage through a maze of corridors and stairs. Water in the toilette was running less vigorously than one would expect, the beds had very hard pillows, the windows, kept open due to very hot weather (there is no a/c in the hotel, beware!) were covered with a thick layer of dust. On the second day of my stay the cleaning persons stopped leaving a second towel in the bathroom, and when i asked for one it was brought and left on the floor by my door. Hopefully they did not step on it for good measure. The list of mishaps can be continued. Wifi did not work for long periods of time. When they ordered a taxi for me they did not have a record from which company it was ordered. The reception personnel seemed less than caring.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Travelreluctant
I'm very sorry that your stay was such a disappointment to you. I will take all of your comments to my team and highlight the combined effect of these disappointments. We are always looking to improve, and I hope you will recognise from comments from other Tripadvisor users that quite often we can look after our guests well. Once again I'm very sorry that this was not the experience in your case, as a family business I take it very personally when we let our guests down.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Three of us stayed here on a Saturday night, in separate rooms, with one of us making the booking for three double rooms (at a cracking price). Weirdly we all got completely different size rooms with my friend saying hers was a small double whereby mine was an enormous room, almost too big. The room was well fitted and very clean but clearly in need of some updating - there is so much they could do with it. It did have everything you need although (a minor point I know) the tv was too small for the size of the room so you could barely see it from the bed! Unfortunately I stayed here on one of the hottest nights of the year so the lack of aircon was noticeable. They provided a fan but it didn't really help. I don't want to mark the hotel down on this though as many small hotels of this kind don't have aircon, it's just unfortunate the night I stayed was ridiculously hot.
The staff were really friendly, the car park was a great bonus and at only about £4 for a taxi into the city centre you really can't go wrong - a great place to stay if you want the centre but don't want to be right in it. With a little bit of updating (and aircon!) this place could be really fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Cheesecake0509
Thanks very much for taking the imte to leave a review of your stay at the Belmont, I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found us convenient for town, and that you found the team friendly -this is very important to me- We will do our best to keep our refurbishment program moving and try and look at air con options although planning restrictions and cost on this building make it quite a challenge. Thanks again for your feedback, we will use it to keep us moving forward