“great location for De Montford Hall”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Belmont Hotel

The Belmont Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Colchester, United Kingdom
“great location for De Montford Hall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked this hotel because we had tickets for a concert at De Montford Hall. We ate in the hotel bar and then strolled to the venue only about 5-10 mins walk.
We stayed in a lovely room with chic new decoration. There was a huge and comfortable bed.
There is a free carpark at the rear of the hotel.
The breakfast was a bit of a let down but overall we would recommend this hotel.It is just off New Walk a leafy pedestrian road that leads straight to the heart of Leicester. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chippy6667

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Tarragona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Only visiting the area and chose to stay at the Belmont after checking out TripA and hotels and B&Bs in the area near to where I wanted to visit friends!
The Belmont was easy to book direct on-line on hotel website. What type of room I wanted, lots of options as I was solo this time. I could pay for my breakfast which was £10 on line in booking too. So all in all I chose double room single occupancy and two mornings for breakfast. Prices meet my needs which I thought very good.
Check in so simple as I had booked and paid before. My room was lovely and big, and quiet. Room super clean and bathroom too. All brillilant. The buffet breakfasts in the morning was more that adequate, it was great, continental and full english, what more could you want. The service of the breakfast staff was fantastic. Efficient, friendly and helpful and fast.
Thanks Belmont I will be sure to return again and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FaM588607
BelmontHotel, General Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear FaM588607
Thanks so much for your reveiw, we're really pleased you found us fast, efficient and friendly and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Belmont
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I live in Eastbourne on the South Coast, and a friend of mine and I decided to go to Leicester for a couple of days to "do" the Richard lll exhibition at the Guildhall and the Bosworth Battlefield. We booked a standard twin room via their website for two nights (23rd and 24th July) and found the room to be in excellent order overlooking the pleasant "new walk" which leads to the city centre. The room was big with its own en suite, which was clean, and the beds were comfortable, ie not hard! Lovely white towels for use, hairdryer, ironing board all in situ. It also had a small writing desk with mirror and a settee in it. The hotel benefits from its own car park, so no on street parking to worry about while you're in the town. We didn't eat in the main restaurant, but we could have done and they had two extra bars including a bar food area. The breakfast was excellent, and presented well with white linen tablecloths and silver cutlery etc. Staff very friendly which makes a huge difference. We will definitely come back to this hotel again, even if we come by train as the station just 5 to 10 minutes walk away. I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank anmar61
Dear anmar61
Thank you so much for your review, we're very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to the Richard 3rd exhibition - We're already looking forward to the arrival of the full visitor centre which we understand is due sometime next year- Thanks for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked a suite for an overnight stay. The room was lovely, the bathroom brilliant (though there was a damp patch on the bedroom ceiling). The bed was lovely and comfy and the general decor and finish was good. The location was close to the city centre and was quiet, positioned next to New Walk.

Breakfast was buffet style, and had a wide range of foods that were fresh, hot and topped up as needed.

As others have said it was as hot as the sun in the room with a solo fan valiantly fighting a losing battle, but this did not cause huge issues and we shouldn't really complain when we get a summer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BelmontHotel, General Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear 71ajh
Many thanks for your review of your stay, I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your lovely room and comfortable bed, and thank you for highlighting the fact that it has been unusually hot (not that the sunbathers are complaining!) We would love to provide air con for our guests but a combination of cost and planning restrictions makes this quite challenging but we are looking at our options as we don't like to dissappoint (or cook) our guests.
Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review
usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a no- frills hotel in a good location, with a bar and restaurant of reasonable quality. But the things seemed not to work in too many different ways. When i arrived, they could not fond a record of my reservation, and did not see that it had already been paid. The elevator to the third floor did not work, and no one offered to carry my luggage through a maze of corridors and stairs. Water in the toilette was running less vigorously than one would expect, the beds had very hard pillows, the windows, kept open due to very hot weather (there is no a/c in the hotel, beware!) were covered with a thick layer of dust. On the second day of my stay the cleaning persons stopped leaving a second towel in the bathroom, and when i asked for one it was brought and left on the floor by my door. Hopefully they did not step on it for good measure. The list of mishaps can be continued. Wifi did not work for long periods of time. When they ordered a taxi for me they did not have a record from which company it was ordered. The reception personnel seemed less than caring.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Travelreluctant
I'm very sorry that your stay was such a disappointment to you. I will take all of your comments to my team and highlight the combined effect of these disappointments. We are always looking to improve, and I hope you will recognise from comments from other Tripadvisor users that quite often we can look after our guests well. Once again I'm very sorry that this was not the experience in your case, as a family business I take it very personally when we let our guests down.
Up North
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Three of us stayed here on a Saturday night, in separate rooms, with one of us making the booking for three double rooms (at a cracking price). Weirdly we all got completely different size rooms with my friend saying hers was a small double whereby mine was an enormous room, almost too big. The room was well fitted and very clean but clearly in need of some updating - there is so much they could do with it. It did have everything you need although (a minor point I know) the tv was too small for the size of the room so you could barely see it from the bed! Unfortunately I stayed here on one of the hottest nights of the year so the lack of aircon was noticeable. They provided a fan but it didn't really help. I don't want to mark the hotel down on this though as many small hotels of this kind don't have aircon, it's just unfortunate the night I stayed was ridiculously hot.
The staff were really friendly, the car park was a great bonus and at only about £4 for a taxi into the city centre you really can't go wrong - a great place to stay if you want the centre but don't want to be right in it. With a little bit of updating (and aircon!) this place could be really fabulous.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Cheesecake0509
Thanks very much for taking the imte to leave a review of your stay at the Belmont, I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found us convenient for town, and that you found the team friendly -this is very important to me- We will do our best to keep our refurbishment program moving and try and look at air con options although planning restrictions and cost on this building make it quite a challenge. Thanks again for your feedback, we will use it to keep us moving forward
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Belmont Hotel. My last stay there was ok and had many positives, and as I noted in my previous review, some of the issues were related to management decisions rather than the staff.

My main negatives relate to the temperature of the hotel. Whilst it was very hot in general, the rooms were almost unbearable. Mrs Beoirgra and I managed to get to sleep only through cold showers, clamped open windows, all-night direct (noisy) fan and the fact that we were exhausted. The Belmont management have already replied to reviews noting that they want to install AC but that it is very expensive. I would suggest that they cannot afford not to, or they should at least buy some domestic AC units which would work better than a cheap fan. I would never consider staying here in the summer ever again. It really does make the stay intolerable.

Secondly, somebody thinks it is wise to put feather pillows and an extremely thick feather duvet on the bed as standard, despite the intense heat. We called down to reception to get this changed. We arrived late at about 11pm and we asked the desk supervisor for non-feather bedding. After about 45mins of looking, and a couple of phone calls to reassure us he was endeavouring to find them, they were brought to us. We didn't mind putting covers on our own bedding at 12.30am if it meant we could avoid the heat and allergic reaction to feathers. Most hotels I know do not use feather as standard, for various intelligent reasons.

Finally, the car park is frankly nuts. Absolutely wafer thin spaces and a weird gazebo with lights that had posts that further inhibit parking. I am not bad at parking but I had to ask Lady Beoirgra to do it for me. Through my help I was eventually able to help her guide my machine into the tiny space provided. It fits in snugly, but takes some to-ing and fro-ing to eventually sit comfortably. I wasn't surprised the following to find a small dent in the door from someone else trying to squeeze their way into their own car. Awful situation.

The positives are the location on New Walk, cleanliness, and the nice breakfast area which is spacious, sympathetically lit and has wonderfully attentive staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Seamus

Many thanks again for your comments and your business. I will certainly look into portable air con units and get a price for them, they may be an option less inhibited by our other restrictions. Really pleased the team looked after you, for you and other guests if you do have allergys please contact us in advance and we can arrange to have the bedding in place prior to your arrival.