“overnight stay”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Leicester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“overnight stay”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked a suite for an overnight stay. The room was lovely, the bathroom brilliant (though there was a damp patch on the bedroom ceiling). The bed was lovely and comfy and the general decor and finish was good. The location was close to the city centre and was quiet, positioned next to New Walk.

Breakfast was buffet style, and had a wide range of foods that were fresh, hot and topped up as needed.

As others have said it was as hot as the sun in the room with a solo fan valiantly fighting a losing battle, but this did not cause huge issues and we shouldn't really complain when we get a summer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BelmontHotel, General Manager at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear 71ajh
Many thanks for your review of your stay, I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your lovely room and comfortable bed, and thank you for highlighting the fact that it has been unusually hot (not that the sunbathers are complaining!) We would love to provide air con for our guests but a combination of cost and planning restrictions makes this quite challenging but we are looking at our options as we don't like to dissappoint (or cook) our guests.
Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
usa
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a no- frills hotel in a good location, with a bar and restaurant of reasonable quality. But the things seemed not to work in too many different ways. When i arrived, they could not fond a record of my reservation, and did not see that it had already been paid. The elevator to the third floor did not work, and no one offered to carry my luggage through a maze of corridors and stairs. Water in the toilette was running less vigorously than one would expect, the beds had very hard pillows, the windows, kept open due to very hot weather (there is no a/c in the hotel, beware!) were covered with a thick layer of dust. On the second day of my stay the cleaning persons stopped leaving a second towel in the bathroom, and when i asked for one it was brought and left on the floor by my door. Hopefully they did not step on it for good measure. The list of mishaps can be continued. Wifi did not work for long periods of time. When they ordered a taxi for me they did not have a record from which company it was ordered. The reception personnel seemed less than caring.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Travelreluctant
I'm very sorry that your stay was such a disappointment to you. I will take all of your comments to my team and highlight the combined effect of these disappointments. We are always looking to improve, and I hope you will recognise from comments from other Tripadvisor users that quite often we can look after our guests well. Once again I'm very sorry that this was not the experience in your case, as a family business I take it very personally when we let our guests down.
Up North
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Three of us stayed here on a Saturday night, in separate rooms, with one of us making the booking for three double rooms (at a cracking price). Weirdly we all got completely different size rooms with my friend saying hers was a small double whereby mine was an enormous room, almost too big. The room was well fitted and very clean but clearly in need of some updating - there is so much they could do with it. It did have everything you need although (a minor point I know) the tv was too small for the size of the room so you could barely see it from the bed! Unfortunately I stayed here on one of the hottest nights of the year so the lack of aircon was noticeable. They provided a fan but it didn't really help. I don't want to mark the hotel down on this though as many small hotels of this kind don't have aircon, it's just unfortunate the night I stayed was ridiculously hot.
The staff were really friendly, the car park was a great bonus and at only about £4 for a taxi into the city centre you really can't go wrong - a great place to stay if you want the centre but don't want to be right in it. With a little bit of updating (and aircon!) this place could be really fabulous.

Dear Cheesecake0509
Thanks very much for taking the imte to leave a review of your stay at the Belmont, I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found us convenient for town, and that you found the team friendly -this is very important to me- We will do our best to keep our refurbishment program moving and try and look at air con options although planning restrictions and cost on this building make it quite a challenge. Thanks again for your feedback, we will use it to keep us moving forward
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Belmont Hotel. My last stay there was ok and had many positives, and as I noted in my previous review, some of the issues were related to management decisions rather than the staff.

My main negatives relate to the temperature of the hotel. Whilst it was very hot in general, the rooms were almost unbearable. Mrs Beoirgra and I managed to get to sleep only through cold showers, clamped open windows, all-night direct (noisy) fan and the fact that we were exhausted. The Belmont management have already replied to reviews noting that they want to install AC but that it is very expensive. I would suggest that they cannot afford not to, or they should at least buy some domestic AC units which would work better than a cheap fan. I would never consider staying here in the summer ever again. It really does make the stay intolerable.

Secondly, somebody thinks it is wise to put feather pillows and an extremely thick feather duvet on the bed as standard, despite the intense heat. We called down to reception to get this changed. We arrived late at about 11pm and we asked the desk supervisor for non-feather bedding. After about 45mins of looking, and a couple of phone calls to reassure us he was endeavouring to find them, they were brought to us. We didn't mind putting covers on our own bedding at 12.30am if it meant we could avoid the heat and allergic reaction to feathers. Most hotels I know do not use feather as standard, for various intelligent reasons.

Finally, the car park is frankly nuts. Absolutely wafer thin spaces and a weird gazebo with lights that had posts that further inhibit parking. I am not bad at parking but I had to ask Lady Beoirgra to do it for me. Through my help I was eventually able to help her guide my machine into the tiny space provided. It fits in snugly, but takes some to-ing and fro-ing to eventually sit comfortably. I wasn't surprised the following to find a small dent in the door from someone else trying to squeeze their way into their own car. Awful situation.

The positives are the location on New Walk, cleanliness, and the nice breakfast area which is spacious, sympathetically lit and has wonderfully attentive staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Seamus

Many thanks again for your comments and your business. I will certainly look into portable air con units and get a price for them, they may be an option less inhibited by our other restrictions. Really pleased the team looked after you, for you and other guests if you do have allergys please contact us in advance and we can arrange to have the bedding in place prior to your arrival.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed for 2 night during the recent heatwave, we had executive rooms on the 3rd floor which were lovely but extremely hot, the hotel did provide a fan but it was fighting a losing battle, thankfully we brought some fans with us and they did not object to their use. My room was very large and comfortable enormous bed, there was a settee and a small table and chairs. The bathroom was large with plenty of fluffy towels and a decent shower. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included in our rate and it had everything you could want on offer, fruit, continental or full English, all kept fresh and regularly topped up. The hotel is a bit of a rabbit warren but it all adds to it's charm. The hotel is in a particularly pretty area of Leicester and is a short walk to the town centre along a beautiful pedestrian path. More expensive than other more modern hotels in the area but worth it.

Dear FifD_london
Many thanks for your review of your stay, I'm really please you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and thank you for your lovely comments.
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights during the July heatwave. Our standard twin room on 2nd floor was fine but very hot. We were offered a larger exec room on the same floor - still hot but lighter and more spacious with a huge and wonderfully comfortable bed. There was a fan in the room but the weather was exceptionally hot and the fan wasn't really up to the the job, however the staff were absolutely superb and tried hard to ensure that all their guests were comfortable and happy. Excellent breakfast with excellent service. Lovely location and quiet at night.

The installation of air conditioning would be a big step forward but it is a lovely old building and I guess it wouldn't be an easy project!

Stayed July 2013
UK
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Haing heard that eating out at the Belmont had been given a makeover with a new Restaurant area, we decided to try this out.
I had researched their menu on line & we opted for 2 courses @ £14.95. We had very moderate drink requirements & coffee to finish.
The restaurant was pleasant enough but empty apart from one other couple.
The service was adequate enough but the food was bland & very uninteresting.
We went outside for coffee. The tables had not been cleared of other peoples' drinks, etc.
The waiter asked if we would like to pay the bill at the table. We declined as we were going outside as above. We got up from our table & got as far as the bar area when we were asked again if we wished to pay. We declined as before & made our way onto the terrace..The coffee arrived plus the bill which he wanted to know if we would like to pay. We said we would settle this after coffee.
We then found that £5.60 had been added as a service charge although no mention was made about this on heir website. Our total bill was £66.00 which was frankly, a waste of money.
We shall not recommend this restaurant or be visitng it again..