“Its the small things in life which matter” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Leicester Stage

Ramada Leicester Stage
Ranked #35 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
London
“Its the small things in life which matter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

OK Its a 3-star hotel stuck between the no-frills of a Holiday-Inn Express or a Premier Inn and the personal service you expect if you paid extra for 4-star.

The staff are the hotel's best aspect; all that I came into contact with were unfailingly helpful. BUT, like the picture, small things seem to get missed by the management. Tables, in the lounge/reception area, were still beer-stained first thing on Sunday morning. Security is a joke. Why faff around with a key card to get through the front door when you can just walk in, at any time of the day or night, via the Leisure Centre?

By 10 past 8 on Sunday morning the bacon was already cold and the beans and the fried eggs were congealed.

Room Tip: 1st floor away from the car park
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Had an enjoyable stay at the hotel, friendly staff, and the breakfast and evening meal were really good, with lots of choice. Its only 10 minutes by local bus so left the car at the hotel. The weather was lovely which helped....The only thing was the uncomfortable bed and the pillows were like boards, but we managed as it was only a 2 night stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stopped at the Leicester stage hotel for 2 nights earlier this month after seeing a good deal on Groupon. We were under the impression after viewing the website that it was going to be a 'fine dining', luxury spa hotel. The RRP of our break was £250.00, if I had paid this I would have been very disappointed indeed, however I paid the discounted rate of £112.00 which was advertised on groupon. This price included 2 nights stay, a meal worth up to £21 per person on the first night of our stay and breakfast each morning. For £112.00 I would like to say the break was 'not bad'.

Upon arrival I was already slightly disappointed as the executive suites were all fully booked. I had emailed the hotel over a month prior to arrival to ask if I could reserve an executive suite for the dates I required, but received no reply at all unfortunately. I was told at reception I could upgrade to queen executive suite for £10 per night, I chose to pay this but the room we were given honestly looked no different to the pictures of the 'standard rooms' on their website. Having said this, our room was satisfactory.

The bed was nice and comfortable and both of us slept well both nights, although the peach throw and cushions were a bit dirty and smelly, this didnt bother us too much, we took them off and stored them under the bed. The room was quite basic, and could have done with a good clean. I moved the bible off the bedside table and there was a clear outline of dust around it, I'm not a fussy person and don't let the odd bit of dust bother me, but for a trip that would have cost £250, I don't find this very professional. The bathroom was nice, had a very powerful shower and always had hot water. The hot taps on the sink and bath were extremely hot, I did actually burn myself one morning when I was a bit tired (that's not a moan, It was a good thing that the water was hot to be fair). The only major complaint I could say about our room was the TV, it was a 32'' flat screen which was on the wall, the remote control worked fine and there was plenty of channels to choose from. BUT, and it's a big but, for some reason there is a function on the television to rename the channels on the menu. It seems that someone with a rather dirty mind figured out how to do this and had renamed all the popular channels (BBC1 etc.) to some very rude names. I have to admit, I had to chuckle at some of the channel names, but if I'd have took a small child or an elderly person away with me, I wouldn't have fancied trying to explain some of the channels!

Moving on.. The food was quite nice at the hotel, rather basic but was served well, and the portions were rather generous on the evening meal. Quite expensive menu for what the food was, but luckily we had an inclusive £21 each to spend so this was ok. With our meal I had 2 pints of Stella Artois, and my partner had two large glasses of wine, these came to £17, so it's probably quite averagely priced for a 3 star hotel.
Breakfast was buffet and in my opinion top notch, there was plenty of choice and all food was hot and fresh, there was also a nice range of fruits, cereals and yoghurts to choose from. Breakfast on our last morning was a bit disturbed due to a large stag do being quite noisy and a bit inconsiderate with their language. I've been on stag dos myself so understand what it's like, but seeing as it's a 'spa hotel' I didnt expect to see any stag dos, I thought they'd have stuck to travelodges or holiday inns in the city centre.

Service was really good throughout the hotel, I rang reception a few times throughout my stay to request different things (ice buckets, towels etc), and the staff were always efficient, prompt and friendly.

Finally I'll move on to the spa. If you're after a luxury spa hotel break, spend a bit more and find somewhere more exclusive and rural. The leisure facilities are not owned by the hotel, so I can't really moan at the Leicester stage about them, but this is a review on my trip. The whole spa was wry basic and dated, it was a small pool which didnt go deeper than 1.35 meters, the sauna and steam room were quite good but small and felt a bit grubby. The gym was small but well equipped. I planned on spending a lot of time in the spa facilities but an hour or two per day seemed enough as there wasn't much choice.

Overall I rate my trip 6/10, like I said, if I'd have paid £250 for it, I think I'd have wrote a letter of complaint, seeing as it was £112, it was adequate. Would stop here again if I had to visit Leicester, but if I was after a spa break I definitely wouldn't choose this hotel. I also found it bad service that I recieved no reply to my email and therefore couldn't stay in the room I would have liked to stay in.

Room - 6/10
Food - 6/10
Staff/Service - 9/10
Cleanliness - 5/10
Spa - 3/10

Overall - 6/10

Thanks.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank SheffieldTraveller10
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Ideal venue for family Sunday lunch nice selection of help yourself hot and cold starters,mains were fine reasonably choice ,also puddings were on a help yourself basis and plenty of choice I had a piece of raspberry cheese cake and a piece of lemon tart.Staff were excellent and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

First impression - not a nice looking hotel and the room was very 'brown'. The bed was enormous and very comfy and the shower (although it looked quite old) was fantastic. The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming, our meal was lovely, the spa/swimming facilities were okay. Hotel is located on a main bus route into Leicester, so no problems going into the city. A big thank you to Ashley for organising our evening to a great Italian restaurant for my partners 50th birthday. All in all, a lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jan D
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thanks for your review and so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Happy 50th to your partner!

Have a lovely Easter

Kindest regards

David
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Clean and friendly hotel- booked via Groupon so value for money- wouldn;t have been so happy if paid full price. Food is good, staff friendly, beds a little hard, spa needs a complete make over>
enjoyed our stay for what it was.
Big tip if looking for an amazing indian meal go to cuisine of india- amazing food- need to book though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LHMS, CEO o Lester Hotels at Ramada Leicester Stage, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
So pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Kindest regards

David
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here several times on business but this is the first time I've had a chance to write a review. As with every other visit, the room was extremely comfortable, spotlessly clean and had more than adequate facilities.

There's plenty of free parking and the hotel is easy to find.

Breakfast was outstanding. Better than I've had in many much more expensive hotels around the country.

Friendly staff too...