“Corporate mediocrity”
Review of Hilton Leicester

Hilton Leicester
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Leicester
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed here with work for one night. Fortunately no longer. The room I stayed in was fine, although the TV signal wasn't great and left a fuzzy picture (which in the age of high definition is odd).

Unfortunately restaurant really lets this hotel down. The rather bland food, appeared to be pre-prepared and was well over priced (as were the beers and wines on offer). I had ordered a salad nicoise and a steak with mashed potato. The salad arrived in well under a minute after I ordered it and it contained a couple of chunks of poor quality tinned tuna and a few cheap leaves in a poor vinigarette. Not good. The steak was devoid of any flavour except the charred lines and the mash had a fake taste associated with instant potato. I decided against a desert.

The hotel isn't central to Leicester, so I was a bit suprised to be charged for parking in an area where land isn't exactly at a premium.

I'd only stay here again if I had to, but I'd probably try the Marriot over the road first.

Room Tip: one in the Marriott?
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor, after your recent stay. I was sorry to hear that your evening meal did not live up to your expecatations. I have shared your feedback with our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to investigate. Please be assured this is not our usual standard. I hope this meal will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,598)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

very pleasant stay, room was very clean and staff were friendly. the room was too hot and there is not air conditioning available therefore I had to leave the window open and as it's next to a motorway this is very noisy. I had dinner at the hotel restuarant and this was very nice however slightly overpriced.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and meal with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Check in was smooth and pleasant. I was upgraded by £5 for garden view room as I have requested "quiet room". I came on my own for a business trip, so that was only request from me- to have a proper rest.
Hotel is slightly dated and need make up, especially bathroom. No lift, I am lucky as I had only small case with me to the first floor.
Room seems clean otherwise, but in closer look in room menu and introductory book were filthy, sticky and not pleasant on the touch. Inside desk was dusty and next morning hair dryer was overheating and stopped working after every minute!
Bed and bathroom were clean. Bed was quiet comfy and I would have a nice rest, but... Apparently it was some party down the stairs and at 2:30 I was wake up by the laugh and loud discussion of other guests.
They were probably doors opposite and lasted for at least 30 minutes. I needed to call to reception and thank to the staff it was quiet, but I was not able to sleep after and was really tired on the morning.
It is not hotels fault, though I was still charged those £5 for "quiet room" what in fact itself is wrong. I do not mind paying and it is definitely not about £5, but failure to provide what promised probably should not be charged. Though I did not bother to mentioned that in reception as lady already looked tired and quite irritated anyway.
On the best note - Staff in restaurant are trying really hard to make all happy, I am really grateful for the service I have received.

In general not bad and I will stay again as HH member, but small things needs to be improved as it leaves quite sour flavour of the stay...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was sorry to hear that you were disturbed by other guests staying in the hotel. Our 'garden view' rooms are sold as 'garden view' rooms, and whilst they tend to be our quieter rooms, as they are away from the external traffic noise, they are not sold as 'quiet' rooms, as we cannot guarantee on the noise levels of other guests. On a more positive side I am delighted to hear that you were well looked after by our restaurant team. I hope we will ave th eopportunity o welome you back to th hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night as I was attending an event in Leicester. The hotel is some way out of the centre, but the location just a minute from the m1 junction was very convenient. The hotel is large and it was quite a trek to my room, so if you have any issues with mobility be sure to request a room close to reception.
The room was spacious with a large sofa and coffee table, a large desk and several mirrors. The bed was a super king size and made for a very comfortable nights sleep. I'm pretty fussy about pillows but had no cause for complaint!
The bathroom was basic but clean. The only minor niggle was that the water temperature in the shower kept fluctuating. On the plus side the mini toiletries provided were decent, and there were lots of fluffy white towels.

The breakfast buffet was very good with lots of choices. Fresh orange juice, tea and coffee were served at the table. The cooked options included all the usuals along with a few more unusual choices such as haggis and potato cakes. Everything was hot and well cooked, and fresh food seemed to constantly be brought out. There were also plenty of cold options including pastries, meats and cheeses, plus fresh fruit. I enjoyed some of the fruit salad with a tasty mango coulis as well as some of the fried options - all of it very tasty.

I unfortunately didn't get the chance to use the leisure facilities but a health club and pool are available. Overall I would recommend this hotel for business or leisure - it's not in the most scenic of locations so perhaps not the ideal venue for a romantic getaway, but for a decent nights sleep and good road connections it more than does the job.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you had had a pleasant stay, and had enjoyed the facilities that the hotel has to offer. May be next time you will have the opportunity to relax in our leisure club!!!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was looked after well, my request for a sheet and blanket and foam pillows was acted on in advance, and the room was well appointed. The breakfast was good, nice to see poached eggs on a buffet, but the dinners were poor, especially the Indian buffet the second night, which offered quite the worst and most tasteless curry ever, at least they removed the charge from my bill. The first morning there was a lack of any really hot water in my bathroom, otherwise it was fine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I was however sorry to hear of your disappointing meal and lack of hot water on your departing day. Both of these comments have been shared with our team to investigate further and so that action can be taken to prevent further occurences. I hope this will not prevent you from staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Hilton Leicester for four nights/five days earlier this month, and it was absolutely amazing! We booked via the Alton Towers website as part of the one-day pass inclusive with Alton Towers, and got the four nights/five days for a bargain 260 pound!

Once you've negotiated the spaghetti roads leading up to the Hilton and indeed, throughout the whole of Leicester, it truly is a spectacular hotel. Ive never stayed at a Hilton before so maybe I was just a little awe-inspired, but it is truly lovely. There is a secure car park which hotel guests obtain a keycard for, to come in and out of the barrier at will (no curfew), although a major flaw to this is that it's a hefty five pound per night for your car's parking space. Even with the Alton Towers deal, we thought this was steep! Once you enter the Hilton from the front entrance, it is absolutely beautiful. There is a large seating area, decorated in red and gold design, with the receiption to the direct left, and a computer area to the left behind you as you enter (they also charge you for the computer use, but not for the Wi-Fi connection for the nifty ones who remember their own technology). It was very busy when we arrived at 9pm, but nothing was too much trouble for the receptionist, who even offered a concierge to take my bags to our room for us, as she could see I was overladen, and my partner useless!

Now, due to us being on the Alton Towers deal, I didn't expect the greatest of rooms, but room 184 was to my surprise, lovely. It had a gorgeous double bed, which I had, as promised on the headboard sign, the best night's sleep of my life, and the bathroom facilities were wonderful. Also, just down the corridor was the Living Well gym and spa, which has a hot tub, heated swimming pool, and small but seemingly fully equipped gym - again, free for us hotel guests to use, and with complimentary fluffy white towels. The only downside to this was the view from our room, which was of seventeen (yes, I counted them) bins - of all kinds, general waste, food waste, and laundry bins. Every night at 11pm they are emptied by the room attendants, Id know, I had full view of this while lay on my bed.

During our stay, we ate the complimentary all-you-can-eat breakfast, aswell as ordered room service for the second evening. The breakfast is good, and there is a wide variety of continental and freshly cooked full English breakfasts. Also, you see the chefs coming out and topping up the food, in their clean white uniform, which is always reassuring. The room service is incredibly expensive - with a five pound 'tray' charge! We paid over fifty pound for two meals - a fillet steak and a tandoori curry, with no drinks - which I thought very steep, and then to pay for a tray aswell.

Overall however we had a wonderful stay, and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the East Midlands area, or who partakes in the Alton Towers deal! It is situated just off the motorway, so it makes for excellent travel connections - and aswell as of course the theme park, there is many local and county-wide attractions for the guest. We visited Leicester city centre and the Guildhall, including the exhibition of Richard the Third, aswell as outerlying towns such as Market Harborough and Melton Mowbray. The Space Station aswell in Leicester is definitely worth a day trip!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AgelikiADDICTION
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had time to make full use of the hotels facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with my partner. The rooms are lovely and we had clean towels and fresh bedding on the second day! The hotel itself has excellent facilities with the use of the swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room & gym all included in the price. The location of the hotel is good with a shopping park just over a mile away and also close by is an industrial estate which includes bowling, cinema and about a dozen restaurants. My only thing to mention bad would be that the room didn't have a fridge and also our package didn't include breakfast which we expected. Overall a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HiltonLeicester, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Leicester, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor after your recent stay with us here at Hilton Leicester. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to make the most of the facilities we provide. Thank you again for your kind comments.