“Nice little place, staff a bit grumpy!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mrs Bridges Tea Rooms
Ranked #6 of 36 Coffee & Tea in Leicester
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: A lovely tea room in the centre of Leicester that has a wide menu for brunch and lunch.
“Nice little place, staff a bit grumpy!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Went there with my husband, we shared a pot of tea and a slice of chocolate cake. All beautifully presented and extensive menu but a tad pricy for what it is... On the day we also had quite grumpy waitresses but it was Saturday afternoon so probably over worked and under paid.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kittcattuk

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tiny, cosy, uber-delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I am a frequent customer of this place and although small and a little crammed I always enjoy going there. The food is simply amazing, both hot (try the duck liver pate special sandwich (toasted) with red onion chutney and roasted mushrooms!) and cold (blackberry cheesecake with sorbet... incredible! Like a pink sweet cloud of goodness!). Value for money is good. Beautiful in the summer to sit out back. Staff generally friendly, although they can be a little grumpy sometimes (which I guess is a result of a tiny restaurant which is always full of customers... they have to do a lot of juggling trays etc...). But don't be put off, it's always worth going!

Oh and make sure you have enough cash, since they don't accept card payments.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Leicester, United Kingdom
“For Creatures of [food] Comforts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stepping into the restaurant wasn't easy for all the customers clogging every inch of space they could. All chairs were occupied and by chance my mother and I found a table upstairs right in the corner. All wooden, no cushioning, everything mismatched - I felt as though I'd stepped into a Victorian cottage, and this was even moreso when the waitress in a long black dress and white apron approached us.

The menu. Oh man, the menu. We spent maybe 15 minutes trying to decide what to order. Having recently reintroduced starch back into my diet I was feeling completely overwhelmed. In the end I ordered a Jacket potato with prawns, chargrilled vegetables and mozzerella. I asked for a small potato and just a little cheese. My mum got the mushroom, egg, tomato and veg sausage sandwich on farmhouse brown. The service was fast and friendly. I'd read their portions were big but being raised in an Italian-traditional English background I didn't believe it.

The sandwich could have been half a loaf of bread! It was huge! My plate was so garnished with salad I barely knew where to start, The food was incredible. Absolutely wonderful. Though I struggled, I demolished every bite. I had a bit of my mum's sandwich and it was honestly the best I've ever had. Rich in flavour, generously portioned and very much cared for. Very obviously fresh and home made as well. I can't wait to return for one myself.

I have a few minor problems. I wasn't informed my potato would have butter on it and was a little disappointed when I found it had left a greasy pool on my plate. I'm also not overly keen on coleslaw (though it wa quite nice) but there was an awful lot of it, and I'd have liked the option to have it on the side (though I could have asked and I'm sure they'd have obliged. I had an awful lot of cheese considering I asked for just a little bit which makes me question the communication between staff.

Afterwards, I had a mocha (my first in years) and it was, again, the best I'd ever tasted. SO wonderful, but simply from a machine.

The whole place resonates tradition, the staff were rushing around with wonderful varieties of food, the menu is very broad and simply worth every single penny. A little extra comfort on the seating wouldn't hurt though and I don't think it would upset the atmosphere of a traditional tea house.

Do pay them a visit. Especially if you're hungry.

Leicester
“Tradition English Tea Room In The Heart Of Leicester”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Mrs Bridges is a traditional tea-room with entrances both on Loseby Lane and on St Martin's Square, with tables set out in the Square; unfortunately, it was raining when our party of 10 or so visited for afternoon tea, so we sat upstairs. Service was prompt, pleasant and efficient, and the prices were very reasonable, especially when compared to other outlets. I shared a pot of tea with a friend (and we were given a large teapot with enough for more than two cups each). One of my party ordered a strawberry pavlova, which was supplied in an extremely generous portion with lots of fresh strawberries, and it was declared delicious!

“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Love this place! Have tried most of the dishes on teh menu and of note is the bread...yum...the cakes and the homemade dinners.

My favourite is beans on toast with really nice thick homemade bread with poached eggs and although it does'nt sound glamorous the surroundings are lovely and make it so much more!

Love the old wooden tables and chairs and teh overall feel and really lovely in summer to sit in patio area.

Visited February 2013