“Dirty and dangerous - stay away!”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #19 of 22 Leicester B&B and Inns
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Dirty and dangerous - stay away!”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Stayed here as a last minute overnight stay in Leicester. The room itself was filthy, so filthy we checked out within an hour! However, most alarmingly when my partner popped out the room one of the receptionists knocked on my door (this was late at night) seemingly wanting a chat! He was behaving in a very odd manner and I felt very vulnerable indeed. Definitely would not recommend this place, especially not to lone females.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EarlGrey10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I had the misfortune of becoming homeless in the summer of 2011 and my local council placed me at this so called hotel. the bathrooms are disgusting and are never cleaned at all. My bed was full of bed mites and also the odd flea. Pest control were called out to fumigate the problem rooms but this was to no avail as the mite problems still continued . At breakfast times I saw other residents who were also complaining of bites to their arms,legs and faces. I checked out and I would not recomend this place to my worst enemy. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS !!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank Sally C

Travelers are raving about these Leicester hotels

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Do not book this hotel.
I booked this hotel on the internet as needed a hotel for one night as we were attending a concert at Demontford Hall. Photos on website looked good, impressed with the closeness to the venue, free parking that was advertised, tea/coffee and tv in room, ensuite etc. When we arrived, we immediately found out that parking meant trying to squeeze the car into a tiny parking area on the front, narrowly missing a wall by half a centimetre! To top it all off, the pest control was just leaving as we arrived. That should have told us what sort of place we were booked into. Upon checking in at reception, a drunken man arrived to check in. I was very suspicious, felt like it was some sort of hostel or halfway house! There is certainly no mention of this on the internet. The window was cracked.
No lift, carry luggage up three flights of stairs to our room on the top floor. Dirty carpets, no headboard on the double bed, stained toilet, ripped bedspread, shower worked intermittently and I'm amazed we didn't receive an electric shock from it. TV very poor signal and no tea and coffee making facilities in the room. I had to ring the reception from my mobile as there was no telephone in the room. The receptionist laughed and said there should be tea etc in the room. How could they not realise there wasn't even a kettle in there when they prepared the room for our arrival?! Eventually a kettle, cups tea etc arrived, plugged it in - the socket did not work. Someone had etched a telephone number into the wallpaper above the bed.
We were actually worried about getting into the bed. The room key had to be handed in to reception whenever we left the hotel - they were simply left on the desk, no security. Anyone could have entered our room. We would have left however we were worried we wouldn't get in anywhere else at short notice, plus we paid on arrival! I would say stay away from this hotel at all cost. It might be close to the city centre, but pay more and find a better hotel. I wish I had read these reviews before I booked the hotel. It truly is beyond belief! Absolutely awful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hazel S
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I was put in this hotel by the council as emergency accommodation. I wouldn't have left a dog there never mind me and my 3 children. From the moment we got there the outside looked like fawlty towers, we knew instantly this place was a dive. We walked in and booked ourselves in with the receptionist that spoke very little english. Then were advised we had a family room with its own bathroom, the room was on 2nd floor. We had to lug a 4 month old, 15 month old and 7 year old up to the top floor. The stairs felt like they were going to give way under your feet. The room was disgusting, it had obviously never been cleaned since the place was built. tThe windows were knee height and didn't lock so our 15 month old could open them (very scary). There were crawlers on the bed (god knows what they were, probably mites). We had enough and checked straight out. We ended up going to the premier inn, the staff there are great, the room was like a palace to what we just left and the food was lovely for less than the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank BARMYB
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I booked this on the internet as I was having an overnight stay in Leicester and needed a place near, but not in the city centre. I had printed out a Google map of the location, but had walked past it twice and not noticed the words "Leicester Park" over the door. The main writing that could be seen was "student accomodation" and the like. There was an asian man outside smoking a cigarette and he followed me in to the place, turning out to be working at Reception. The room was poor, badly in need of a makeover and a good cleaning. I was glad I was not travelling with my wife as she would have freaked out slightly! The location was fine and the staff were friendly, but standards have (or should have) improved by now; might have been acceptable in the seventies. Avoid.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Norwich
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Avoid at all costs! The "parking" is a joke, the hallway/reception/rooms were terrible & filthy - we were not impressed nor happy to stay so went to the Stoneycroft Hotel which was OK.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paddington77Norwich
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Do not book this hotel, now know as the Leicester City Hotel, it is not the 'delightful bed and breakfast' it says it is, it is a dump. Cheap furniture, old shabby rooms, on a very busy road [24 hours a day busy], with no double glazing. The parking is just off road, next to a busy bar and amount to 3 spaces, we had to get staff to move their cars to park and then to leave. Staff are polite enough, but this is the really cheap end of the market and should be about £20 a night. We did not stay, left within 15 minutes of arrival.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple