β€œGreat value and good quality”
Review of Shivalli

Shivalli
Ranked #35 of 1,152 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Leicester
“Great value and good quality”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Excellently priced vegetarian food, good for lunch with colleagues or a casual meal in the evening. The lunch time buffet is great value and always nice.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Aphid

Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Shivalli - Still the same”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have been to Shivalli couple of times earlier, yesterday I visited this restaurant after a long time when I went to Leicester. Incredibly the taste and aroma of the food is same, it was very nostalgic to me. Eventhough I recognised some staffs have changed, still the friendly service remains. I could simply say, the gastronomy is at its best here. I always try different restaurants and different cuisuine, but home food is the best, so is Shivalli's menu.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ramya P
london
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great experience”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Recently one of my friend recommended me to go n its worth to get so high rating. i went without prior booking n even though with a polite request of waiting of few minutes they gave us table in very busy hours. Food was incredibly delicious. Very polite n friendly staff, Over all good service n good ambiance. And prices of food are very affordable too. Fully recommended for go n njoy.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank amys686
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Wow, this is the number 2 best resteraunt in Leicester”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

It will remain a mystery to me how this restaurant was able to perform this coup and get over a hundred 5 star reviews and get to the rank of the no 2 best restaurant in Leicester. I am guessing perhaps because it is one of the few vegetarian and South Indian restaurants in the city and offers a refreshing and different taste for the palette that is probably accustomed to the vindaloo and the chicken tikka masala, but for somebody like us who have dined at many vegetarian and South Indian restaurants in Leicester and in India, this was a very mediocre experience and left us underwhelmed.

When looking for Shivali I did not actually believe that the Shivali restaurant I was seeing on Welford road was the same Shivali that has been rated the number 2 best restaurant in Leicester, I had to do a double take and look up the address again to make sure it was the same. It looked small, empty and rather down-market to be the number 2 restaurant in Leicester. When I realized this was in fact THE Shivali, I thought perhaps it makes up on the food for what it lacks in ambiance.

Well, I will be honest the food was rather inoffensive. I cannot say anything bad about it, but neither anything good about it - just bleh. We ordered the vegetable korma, puri, standard dosa and chilly paneer. The vegetable korma was an average vegetarian curry, nothing really to write home to mum about, the puris were kind of greasy and the chilly paneer, which is hardly a south Indian dish certainly showed the chefs had no expertise in how to make chilly paneer. The quality of the dosa was a lot better, but nothing I cannot get on Belgrave road at any other Indian vegetarian and South Indian restaurant.

The only good thing I can say about Shivali is that it is value for money, with mains meals at Β£4-5 a dish, it is a bargain for a quick lunch, but I would not recommend Shivali for dinner. It is rather boring to be honest. If you are looking for a more exciting South Indian/Kerelan cuisine and restaurant I would suggest Kayal near the train station.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Raj S
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Simple, unpretentious, vegetarian South Indian food”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Flavoursome, great value buffet. Not a big buffet fan as some places have stuff sitting around for ages resulting in veggy gloop. No gloop here. Ate as a big family group, something for everyoned. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013