“Not what I thought it would be”
Review of The White Horse - CLOSED

The White Horse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional pub and restaurant located in Desford
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Booked the white horse as a bit of a last minute decision as my partner and I thought it would be a pleasant place to eat. While the ambience is fine for a pub restaurant the food and service left us very flat indeed. As it was out last evening together for a while we ordered champagne off the menu only to be then told (after ordering) that there was none available so we had to settle for the house variety which was just ok.
The staff were not the most efficient and service suffered as a result plus, what we were served was nothing like what we ordered. My partner has Rossini which had no foie gras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tournedos_Rossini) and I had a stroganoff which came with no mushrooms and in a tomato based sauce. Needless to say, after this experience it isn't somewhere I would go back to in a hurry.

There are newer reviews for The White Horse

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Visited this place recently and was quite disappointed. The bill came to nearly £70 for 2 startes and 2 mains one diet coke and a bottle of wine. The starters were really overpriced. 3 scallops and a prawn in a bland sauce £8 and a ceaser salad for £7. When we last visited we had so many lovely vedgetables we were expecting the same only to be disappointed with a bowl of peas - nothing else. My main course was bland and the other main course we could have got for half the price at a decent pub.
Others have mentioned the service. I have to say this was one thing that was OK on the night.
Strangely enough when we have been previously the place has been full but there were loads of empty tables which is not a good sign for a Saturday night.
A real shame as have previously had good food here.

2  Thank LeicestershireDex
Reviewed September 8, 2013

To be honest we were not expecting much from The White Horse Inn, and only went there because our preferred option was full, but it turned out to be a surprisingly good meal.
The dining room was quite busy, but there was plenty of staff on and the service was excellent; fast and friendly.
The menu was nothing exciting, assorted meat options with Yorkshire pudding. I had the pate starter and chicken chasseur (yes - with a Yorkshire), whilst my wife had the Caesars salad and the beef. The food was plentiful; large portions and lots of different veg (we couldn't' eat it all) and everything tasted of what it should
If I have a criticism it is that there was no wow factor. The food was all a bit boring. Nice, well-served and plentiful, but there was nothing exciting there.
With a large Chardonnay and a pint of lager, our bill was £27, so okay for value too.
Parking was in its own large carpark.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

A friend and I arrived on a Saturday evening for an 8.00pm booking. We checked in at the bar and order drinks including a white wine. Unusually these days we were not offered a choice of wine. After a 45 minute wait we were shown to our table. We ordered two main courses and a selection of vegetables. The meals arrived with the vegetables which included a bowl of peas, a bowl of chips and three onion rings alone on a plate. We thought this a strange selection but started our meals. Half way through our meals the vegetables we should have received arrived.

The selection was good but unfortunately the moment had passed!

Things got no better when we requested our bill. The bill arrived and was correct but our waitress returned to apologise because we had been given the wrong bill. She returned with another bill which obviously was not for us. Before I could complain she returned a couple of minutes later with our original bill.

We paid up and made a run for it vowing never to return.

2  Thank Greg S
Reviewed August 19, 2013

on entering pub we were cordially greeted by the bar staff. As a party of 25 for Sunday lunch we were looked after very well by all the staff, who were friendly and cheerful they took the food orders very efficiently. The service was very good thoughout the afternoon. There was a good choice of food on the menu and I have no complaints about the quality of the food. The price was good and overall we had a very enjoyable and relaxed Sunday lunch.