“Could do a lot better”
Review of The Windmill Inn

The Windmill Inn
Ranked #10 of 1,207 Restaurants in Leicester
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Enjoy a contemporary informal dining experience within a traditional country pub setting or just come for a drink in The Windmill Inn's relaxing bar atmosphere. Open Every Day Lunchtime and Evening (Restaurant closed Sunday evenings).
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I'm a tad disappointed! We booked this restaurant on the recommendation of friends and based on TA reviews. The food was fantastic! BUT the service was so quick! Within 3 minutes of clearing the starter plates, the main course arrived. I immediately complained but because my husband had a steak, the food arrived. The waitress clearly told the head waiter we were not happy but not ONCE did we get anyone approach the table to ask if there was a problem. We arrived at 7.15 for a 7.45 sitting, and while sat down 15 mins early, we were home by 9pm - the taxi originally booked for 10.15pm!! Loss of a second bottle of wine, desserts and coffee re income for the restaurant!! Neither of us finished the main course because we had only just eaten the starter! We will not go back again- shame as food v tasty, but it takes a bit more than good food to draw in customers!

1  Thank Lissim09
Steve B, Owner at The Windmill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Having spoken to chef I fully understand what went wrong with your table on Saturday evening and can only offer my sincere apologies. You are absolutely right in your interpretation and I would appreciate it if you could give me a call on 01455 824433 (ask for Steve, if I am unavailable I will ring you back), so as I can offer my apologies and explanation.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Been a long time since I visited this establishment, 5 years, or more. Having read the reviews on TA, we thought we'd give it a try. Booked a table a few days ago, call taken by a very polite young lady, always a good start is courtesy. When we walked in tonight (18th October), thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. Abbot Ale, Old Speckled Hen. Nirvana. And then the menu came. Limited, but, varied, and subject to change. But the food was incredible. And reasonably priced. No, actually, I thought it well priced for the quality and quantity. I had a Pork and game terrine to start, followed by slow roast shoulder of lamb. Incredible!! I was not surprised to see so much of the same dish coming out of the kitchen, there must be some very scared lambs in Leicestershire!! If I had one complaint, and this may seem petty, I thought the service at the bar could've been a little quicker. Two very small bar areas, adjacent to each other, cannot be seen by staff serving on the other side.But there is no way I can let that detract from a superb dining experience. 10/10.

2  Thank stewieb14

Great to here you had such a good time on your first visit back to The Windmill for so long, its good to hear that the ale, food and service was to your satisfaction. Apologies if you found bar service a tad slow. We have put a bell in to allow customers to notify staff and there are always multiple staff on the bar during busy periods. Sincere apologies and I hope it wasn't to much f an issue. We would love to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Took my wonderful lady wife to the Windmill for our regular date night. We both had steaks, both were cooked to our liking and served with perfectly cooked vegetables and sauces. Desert was Tart Au Citron - very good, not as good as mine!:) The service was excellent, atmosphere just right for a relaxing meal with a perfect pace of service. This was our first time at the Windmill but it will certainly not be our last.

Only criticism, and it is being very picky, cloth napkins please

1  Thank Pops264

Glad the two of you had a good time with us on your first visit and thanks so much for posting your review. We do hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

First visit to The Windmill and certainly won`t be our last. Couldn`t fault anything. Food was brilliant, good friendly atmosphere, service was perfect and our waitress, Sophie, was lovely and very helpful, as were all the staff. Looking forward to going again

1  Thank Annette J

Thanks for taking the time to post a review Annette. So pleased that you had a good time and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Abosolutly delightful!!!! Food service and drinks are brilliant. Would recommend to all. Great place to dine

1  Thank Ben S
Steve B, Owner at The Windmill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thanks r taking the time to post a review Ben and so glad you enjoyed your meal at The Windmill. See you again soon we hope !