“Still my favourite restaurant”
Review of Kayal

Kayal
Ranked #8 of 1,197 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Description: Kayal - The first authentic Kerala seafood speciality - has become the most popular of its kind to the people of Britain and this family run group of restaurant has become a favourite with dedication and passion for good food. Numerous awards and recognitions proved them distinctive to the normal fellow restaurants. 'Healthiest Restaurant Award' proved that Kayal do care about healthy food. Kayal is all about tradition, qualities, discoveries, fresh ingredients and aromas. Facilities: Entertaining Clients, Groups, Private Dining, Reservations, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Dessert and Bar Scene.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I live within walking distance of Kayal, and my wife and I have been coming about once a week since it opened. We are never disappointed, but I can't write e review every time!

This time it was a works outing, so a much bigger party, and the staff didn't know the group included me until I arrived (last). Nevertheless the food and service were as good as ever.

The food is always of the highest quality, made from fresh ingredients and without the addition of large quantities of butter or oil. It is South Indian (Kerala) style, and it was amusing that I knew far more about it than the several members of our party of Indian origin. Their families like many in Leicester come from Punjab or Gujerat, which have quite different cuisines. They loved the food too, and exclaimed over the dosas, and the dishes flavoured with pepper, cardamom and coconut instead of or as well as with chilli.

Downsides? It is now very well known, busy every night of the week, and booking is necessary at weekends.

1  Thank Martin112358

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I wasn't that hungry when we went so I didn't order more than a biriyani but felt it was made in someone's house it was so fragrant and delicious. Will definitely come back here when I am back in Leicester!!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Visited this restaurant with family. We didn't have a booking but managed to get a table downstairs. The food was excellent, with different dishes to the norm, the service was good and overall it was good value.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I love the food at Kayal. A friend recommended the chain to me when I was meeting a friend in Leamington Spa, and the food was so delicious that when I discovered they had a Leicester branch I quickly dragged my friends along. They serve lovely, light and flavoursome indian food that won't leave you feeling horrible the next day. It's not full of oil and all the things you find in a normal curry house. People are often sceptical at first when I take them as it doesn't look like a typical curry house, and then menu items aren't typical. But just ask the waiters for help choosing and you'll get something completely delicious. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Food is excellent, atmosphere in the first floor is not very cosy, very high ceiling and huge room do not give a feeling of intimacy but it is acceptable, the ground floor look much better (i was upstairs)
The mild food was quite spicy also very delicious.
I would recommend this restaurant down town to friend and colleagues.