“The First - Still delivering”
Review of The Peking

The Peking
Ranked #198 of 1,231 Restaurants in Leicester
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Peking in Charles St I, I believe, Leicester's original Chinese restaurant. Ideally located and with good opening hours, lunchtime and evening, it offers not only a wide range of carefully selected and prepared dishes but also an attractive 'early bird' menu delivering brilliant value for those on a budget. The full menu is varied and well balanced, often restaurants can over play one area because that's their comfort zone but not here as The Peking is skilled in all areas.
The atmosphere is good, they are keen to give a high level of service and, if you want a pointer to the quality when I've been there the majority of the diners have been Chinese - that's always a good sign..

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Wonderful food in a friendly atmosphere. The owner is fantastic, funny and friendly. highly recommend for eithee a day out or evening. The best chinese food I have ever tasted!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Peking restaurant is Leicester's oldest Chinese restaurants. Personally, Chinese food is one of my favorite dishes, and I've eaten at plenty of them all over England but I have to say the Peking is my favorite.

First off, the food is superb. I've been going there for the last decade and so far the food has always been of the highest quality. If you like fish, you'll find the menu quite extensive. The 'sizzler' dishes are a particular favorite of mine, and I can heartily recommend the Mongolian lamb. I usually have plain boiled rice and even here the Peking shines; it's rice being light and fluffy. The Dimsun has also made gthe place famous, although it is only served at lunchtime, it is certainly vastly superior in both quality and price many of the London restaurants!

The restaurant is family run and the lady in charge is delightful the attentive waiters and waitresses who all smile and (rare enough today) actually like you being there! The place is very reasonably priced and nicely decorated. If you're in Leicester and you want quality Chinese food, go to The Peking Restaurant.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I can see why this restaurant has had mixed reviews. We went here on a theatre night a bit unsure what to to expect as when we tried to book they told us no need, they could easily "squeeze" us in.

The staff were very fiendly, but drinks were slow coming. Service was a bit strange. Our table was set for us, then when we sat down it was "unset" leaving us a bit confused, but we were having a good night out with friends so saw the funny side.

When the food eventually came we were amazed at the quality. We had the £10 set dinner and it was amazing. Soup, assorted starters, 5 main meals plus rice to share (an extra meal included as there were 5 of us), oranges and a complimentary liquer. We all agreed the value and quality was exceptional and would definately go again. We will go when we are not in a rush though, and the quality of the interior and bar didn't match the quality of the food. But for £10 a head and if you have plenty of time to sit and chat it's brilliant.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I think this is the oldest Chinese resturant in Leicester and is very popular with local chinese and everyone else it seems. Very large menu food served piping hot extreemly friendly staff . I cant think of a downside and thats unusual for me.