“Very good food and service”

Michael Wan's Mandarin Cantonese Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 763 Restaurants in Blackpool
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Lancashire-based Michael Wan's Mandarin was established in 1961. The purveyor of Cantonese cuisine is lauded as "superb," "fantastic," "delicious and consistent," with "fabulous food," by the critics on TripAdvisor, landing it a spot as one of the top 3 Chinese restaurants in the UK based on customer reviews. Signature dishes include Twice Cooked Pork, Gon Siu Crispy Beef and Huan San Fish and Tofu Stew.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I wanted to try this restaurant whilst in Blackpool because of all the wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor. There are some horrifying bad ones, but not too many. I had to go to find out the truth, which is correct? Well, the answer is - it's very good !!
We arrived 15 minutes early but were shown to a seat and made to feel welcome immediately.
We chose to have a drink and study the menu whilst waiting for a table to become available. The atmosphere and friendliness of staff was good all evening. The food could be equalled in a lot of restaurants, but maybe not in Blackpool, I wouldn't know.
We were waited on by three people, all introduced themselves and seemed caring and polite. The service was quick, efficient and professional at all times during our meal.
If I lived near this restaurant I would look forward to being one of their 'regulars', those who have complained couldn't have gone to the same place, Pauline the owner was especially lovely and spent some time chatting to us about holidays etc. I hope to visit again sometime in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,716)

Reviewed November 3, 2013

There is little joy in a seaside resort on a rain-swept Saturday evening and having seen the reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to eat here at the end of a long day. The first thing that struck us was that we were clearly fortunate to have arrived early having not made a reservation.
We were greeted and advised that a table was available for an hour but even when our meal took longer than the hour the staff didn't pressure us to rush our food and get us out the door, nothing was too much trouble here and in fact the service was probably amongst the better we've received in the UK where staff at most places seem to barely muster a grunt let alone engage with the customer.
We were pleasantly surprised to find a childrens menu which was great for our 4 year old who opted for chicken but would probably have eaten noodles and rice from the main menu. My wife and I decided to have the Mandarin Banquet which offered an enjoyable selection of dishes with a mixed starter platter and duck with pancakes amongst other things.
The prices were maybe a touch higher than we expected (£85 for 2 adults & 2 children) but the quality of the food and standard of service were definitely worth it.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were in Blackpool for a long weekend with friends. Fancied a Chinese so checked out trip adviser and came across Michael Wan's Mandarin. After reading the reviews we decided to book a table.
I ordered the Satay Chicken starter which was really good. For main I had the Beef Gon Sui - you MUST try this!! Absolutely delicious!
Would say it was one of the best Chinese meals I've eaten.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Without doubt one of the best restaurants i have been in, superb friendly staff and the wood was devine. Booked a table for 4 at short notice and they were very accommodating, portions were very generous and the price competitive, my parents first came here almost 40 years ago and the memories came flooding back, highly recommended

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Ate at the Mandarin last night and the food and service were great, as always. The banquet is lovely and the service is always good. We didn't book but were given prawn crackers while we waited and then managed to get into one of the booths.
I would recommend booking in advance and it is worth looking on the Internet site to see if there are any money off vouchers available (that can be printed or shown on your phone).
Highly recommended.