“Good Value for Money”

Ranked #24 of 69 Hotels in Blackpool
York
“Good Value for Money”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with friends from Friday 12 July to Monday 15 July on a Shearing's booking. I have read some of the negative comments regarding Liberty's Hotel especially regarding the 'tired' reception and stair areas which I cannot disagree with; however, there are many positives about this hotel.

One reviewer wrote reams criticising everything about this hotel and as he only stayed one night think this is a little unfair. I AM AFRAID IF YOU WANT FIVE STAR LUXURY THEN YOU MUST PAY FIVE STAR PRICES, not go somewhere cheap and cheerful and complain. I agree that cleanliness is a basic requirement and we have no complaints about our experience at the Liberty's Hotel. Our room and bathroom were very clean and the towels and bedding spotless.

We had a small TV in the room, but didn't switch it on as we took our ipod and enjoyed our own choice of music when we were in the room. We had a sea view which was lovely and the weather was a bonus.

Entertainment 3 stars
Food 4 stars
Staff 5 stars ESPECIALLY PATRICK THE WAITER WHO WAS FANTASTIC

Our only 'gripe' was that we are vegetarians and was satisified with the options available except for one occasion. My husband cannot eat cheese and as the option for that evening's meal was butternut patty with cheese we were told the chef would be able to arrange an alternative, no problem. He was disappointed when we were seated at the dinner table to be offered TUNA salad - the waiter said the chef had forgotten and presumably he had spotted a tin of tuna in the kitchen- this was very poor! My husband acknowledges that a 'non-cheese eating vegetarian' is not always easy to accommodate so he didn't complain, but it's not too difficult: veggie curry; omelette; roasted veg; veggie burgers etc etc.

All things considered I would recommend this hotel, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and so did our friends.

Room Tip: On Saturday evening we could hear the 'thump thump' of music until quite late, not from the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank dawn6728
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I read the headlines on the reviews before anything else and yours read Good Value for Money so straight away there was a smile on my face. You are 100% correct with what you quoted stating “I AM AFRAID IF YOU WANT FIVE STAR LUXURY THEN YOU MUST PAY FIVE STAR PRICES” we offer good clean rooms with good food on a great value for money package and I am sure you will agree this is what you got for your money. We will go through all your comments as a team and we apologise for any confusion regarding the vegetarian option on the one night.
Russell and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Glasow
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Well what can I say, have just got back from a three night stay at Libertys and boy what a transformation!!! We were allocated rooms (114,and 117, for your info!) we have been coming now for our last five weekend breaks and have always had good value for money but the new bed and lovely furnishings were the icing on the cake this time !!! as always the staff were courteous and helpful from reception to restaurant and housekeeping,all exceled in our opinion.This is our favourite place to stay in Blackpool and now we wont be going anywhere else .Also the weather was amazing which was a great bonus! Regards to all and we will be back the next chance we get !!!!!!

Room Tip: First Floor always good
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Libby m
It’s great to hear such good comments especially from guests who keep returning time after time it lets us know all our hard work pays off. I will pass on all your great positive comments to the team and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

arrived with a coach party and was given a room on the first floor, which was dreadful, furniture dated, decor in poor state and facing back of building!
Told reception manager that we were very unsatisfied, to which she then offered us two further sets of keys!
We then chose the third floor room which had a sea view and better decor to it's room!

Floors definatly very creaky and lift seemed as if it was on it's last.

When going through lobby in main part of hotel I was just appalled by the bad state of carpets in areas which had black tape over them, and in other parts the carpet was torn.

Furniture of this area also left a lot toe desired.

To say that areas of this hotel were being revamped in previous comments by General manager, only leads me to think that He should now take a walk around this hotel and give instructions to undergo maintainence to carpets and furniture his most prompt and serious attention!

The positives were the food, which improved after first day when I complained about a meal that did not bear any resemblance to what should have been a sweet and sour dish!

Other than food which was then most enjoyable, the staff were excellent and nothing seemed too much trouble.

Great central location, but pity this hotel fell far short of our expectations!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jaqueline W
We are sorry you did not feel the hotel was to your expectations, we plan to spend more money on the public areas once our bedroom refurbishment plan is complete. I feel you have been very harsh with your comments regarding carpets and furniture, we are a value for money holiday chain who do not charge stupid amounts of money for guests to come and stay. We offer a good clean bedroom with good food and good entertainment for a very reasonable price. Thank you for your comments on the enjoyable food.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

we had five day break at the hotel with shearings nice ride in coach driver good he gave lots of information on the area we were going to we were taken on a trip to the lake district nice day out hotel very friendly staff we had a nice room 202 on second floor . restaurant nice staff excellent food good selection nice bar area entertainment very good MICHEAL HUDSON 2 NIGHTS BRUCE MCLAREN AND CLAIRE LOUISE MORRIS all good CLAIRE SINGER AND COMEDY very funny all 3 lovely singers (down side out look from hotel very dingy scruffy ) weather horrid no one can do nothing about that but enjoyed it anyway thanks to all

Room Tip: facing the sea
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank maureenwilliamsyoung
Thank you for your positive comments after your stay with us, we hope you had a safe journey home and we hope to see you again soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A very enjoyable week end break, really good value for money.... food was excellent and so was the waiter Rob "Thank you mate". I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others, our room was very comfortable and clean but perhaps a new bed would not go amiss, fantastic sea view well worth the extra charge, what more can you ask for Entertainment was ok.
the decor could do with some attention but that's just wear and tear and adds to the charm, and along with the resident host Michael giving us lots of very useful information and a few laughs.....Ta me old love lol. So once again many thanks to all for a fantastic week end.

Mr and Mrs Pickersgill (From Sheffield)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ENRICO18
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hi Mr and Mrs Pickersgill and thank you for such a positive review after your recent stay with us. Value for money that is what we all want no matter what we are doing or buying and that is what we deliver here in Blackpool. I will pass on the thank you to Rob and we hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Ask for a room overlooking the sea or read this. We stayed at this hotel as a stop over for the final night stop on the way back from a great holiday in Scotland on the 7th June. My Wife and I have always been fair about giving feed-back if things have been good then we have said so. I do not want the Hotel manager, Russell-Bradshaw, who was not about when we arrived, just to say well you gave a good review on many of the aspects of the hotel and did not give us a chance to improve. Our assessment is based on our actual experience. Let me say that we where just in time for Dinner and our cases where being taken to our room No 222. This was a one night stop over, if it had been longer I would have asked for a room change but as the towels and bedding appeared clean on our initial inspection so we went down to dinner. The Dinner and breakfast were very good and Robert, I think that was his name was very good waiter. A waitress by the name of Karolina asked if we wanted a drink from the bar, I ordered a Merlot and my wife had a larger. On finishing my meal I noticed a lot of sediment in the bottom of the glass. I took this to the bar and spoke to Karolina she said she was sorry but all wine has this? I did try to tell her that it should not have been in my glass but all she did was to keep on saying sorry, sorry, and sorry. In the end I said well I am sorry too and that I was not very happy. Now Russell look, having had this reaction from a member of your staff, the things I am about to mention with our room are not just because of her but is the reason that I did not bother to complain further. I could not have had another single sorry that night. I did notice that a form was not available to give feedback on our stay in our room so this also has prompted me to write a review. The first thing that you could not miss was the floorboards in the room, every time you went to the toilet or to the wardrobe it creaked something that has been reported before Russell looking at some of the other reports. Next it was the toilet seat which moved about, not secured properly and the general state of the bathroom with black mildew around the wash hand basin, the tiles and ceiling over the bath. The dirty marks on the back of the toilet door and the dirty hand marks and finger prints around the bathroom light switch. The cards on the top of a very dusty radio/alarm which said that we could order sandwiches was all marked and dirty along with the card which said who cleaned our room and talk to them, very difficult when you are only staying one night. Would I order a sandwich definitely not, if the dirty stained menu card was anything to go by? The remote control was also dirty around the buttons and the TV was very old the back of which was bigger than the 12” screen. Both the beds were lumpy and if no one has complained before then all I can say is the other 2 hotels that we stayed in must have been different to these. Many of the guests on our coach said what a wonderful room they had with a flat screen television being large and overlooking the sea. Our room was small and dark overlooked a number of dirty roof tops with debris and grass growing out of gutters, the window had mildew in the corners and the room was generally very tired. I would only like to add that the lasting impression of the Liberty hotel will remain with us for a very long time.

Room Tip: Avoid room 222 and try for a room with a sea view if you have to stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Keith B
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Firstly no I was not about when you arrived as I do not work 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I wish I was there as I would have liked a chance to speak to you regarding any issues you had. Ok you were not in a sea view but that is because you had not booked or paid for one. If you had any issues with your room or with any aspects of your stay my Deputy Manager or any of the duty managers would have dealt swiftly to rectify any problems you had but as no one was contacted by yourself you gave us no opportunity to help you. Everyone else on your coach gave us great feedback and we are shocked and surprised by your review. We are constantly updating rooms and tv’s etc but it is a gradual process. All the comments from your review will be discussed with myself and my team.

Regards

Russell
crewe
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was a very enjoyable holiday despite the rain and our driver Peter, was very knowledgeable about the area and pointed out lots of places of interest, and also tried to make our excursions as varied as possible so that we got to spend a bit of time in various locations.
As far as the hotel is concerned, it is not suitable for anyone who cannot climb a few steps as there are steps at the entrance and even a couple of steps to get to the dining room and also to get to the lift. The positioning of the small lift is quite bad as you have to walk across the front of the stage to get to it which can be a bit embarrassing in the evening when the entertainment is on, especially if the act that is on acknowledges your presence and all you want to do is get to your room without confrontation, but if you are not the sort of person to be bothered by that you will enjoy your stay, and the entertainment is well worth watching. During our stay we got 2 nights with the resident host Michael Hudson. Not only is he funny, he organised bingo and a quiz and also did some singing, but as well he told us where to go to get the best bargains in Blackpool and we made use of the information he gave us. Another great act was Claire Louise Morris who was even funnier than Michael, and she also provided us with a quiz and 3 games of bingo.
The lounge bar itself is probably the tattiest public area as it looks the same as when I visited the hotel 10 years ago before it was bought by Shearings, but despite its dark interior all the areas were clean and tidy. It has a large bar area, again only accessible by a few steps, but the drinks were reasonably priced and the barmaid did a good job.
The dining room was particularly pleasing, nice furniture and excellent service by, it appears, all male waiters who offered diners extra toast, butter, vegetables, etc. The breakfast buffet was the usual Shearings fayre but no yoghurts or bread rolls were put out, however I am sure that they would have been available to anyone who asked as yoghurts were listed on the menu. The portions were plentiful and the menus featured plenty of choice, and the salads were delicious.
We did not ask for an upgraded room and were put on the top floor at the end of a corridor, and our room was located at the side of the building. I don`t know about the first 2 floors but the 3rd floor was extremely squeaky, you could not get to your room quietly no matter how hard you tried, but as we were at the end of a corridor the creaks did not disturb us, but I don`t know how a light sleeper would go on if their room was situated nearer to the entrance of the 3rd floor. We used the lift to go upstairs but used the stairs to come down, and as the squeaks stopped when we reached the 2nd floor, we can only assume that it is only the 3rd floor that the boards need sorting out.
Facilities in our room were excellent, plenty of storage, however it was one of those wardrobes without doors, and although it didn`t bother us, we know there are a lot of people who would rather not have their clothes on display to the cleaning staff. As usual there were not many coat hangers but we always bring some of our own anyway.
The hotel is well situated not far from the town area and the central attractions, but not right in the noisy parts either, so unless you want to be near the Pleasure Beach, this hotel is fine for the majority of the age group that go on coach holidays.
We would happily go to this hotel again as Blackpool is somewhere that has lots to offer for all ages. The lights go on in September and as we have not seen them for a few years, we are thinking of going away again with Shearings before the lights finish.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jmtigercrewe
Hi jmtigercrewend thank you for your review after your stay with us in Blackpool. We aim to provide value for money breaks and with your title being good value and you stating you would happily return again, I am 100% sure you enjoyed a value for money holiday. All your comments will be discussed with me and the team and we hope to see you again soon.