“arrived apprehensive, left delighted”

Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Tees Valley
“arrived apprehensive, left delighted”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

After a miserable 8 hour journey, we arrived at Liberty's in the snow, apprehensive that our stay would be as dire as the journey- we we ever wrong.
We had a large room with a sea view, it was warm, comfortable and clean.
Whilst the food would not get a Michelin star, it was always hot, a reasonable choice and served well. Patrick was an excellent waiter,
very fast and attentive.
The entertainment was better than we have experienced in some hotels,
Michael (entertainment manager) was very friendly, took time to talk to the guests.
Housekeeping, fast, efficient always a smile and "Hello"
The "Stars" of Liberty's were reception - so pleasant, helpful, nothing was a problem for them,both day and evening staff were brilliant. I use a mobility scooter or wheechair which has proved to be nuisance to some hotels, not at Liberty's, the reception staff were happy to help-
Thankyou Ladies.
Russell Bradshaw- you have a great team at Liberty's but you must know that already, I have now retired from the hospitality industry
otherwise I would have been tempted to poach one or two of your
"stars" !!

To sum it all up, we had a great stay, would we return - of course we would.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank yankowskionhols
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hi SueTeesValley thank you for your great review, you are 100% correct I have a great team and we all work well together to make sure our guests have a great holiday and leave with the thought that they would return again. After reading your review you obviously had a great time and would return which means our goals and targets are being met. I will pass on your kind comments to all and we hope to see you again.

Best wishes

Russell and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Where else could you go for 5 days 4 nights for £99.00 & get - Cooked Breakfast, 3 Course Evening Meal, 4 drinks voucher each per day , 2 trips, & entertainment each night including Coach return to Blackpool ?? Well that's what we paid with Shearings Holidays at their hotel 'Bay Liberty 's, ' for our Break ....... Excellent value for money!
This was our 1st Shearings holiday - & it was " Truly EXCELLENT! " from Pick - up point to Hotel & back again.
When we arrived at this Hotel we were greeted by the Manager Russell, who explained what would be happening when we booked in - where to go for refreshments etc. All was done, so effortlessly & efficiently by the reception staff ( I think they had done this before!! ;-))..... We were given our key to our room & within 30 mins our suitcases were delivered outside the door! It was that quick!! .....
The Food was EXCELLENT! All freshly cooked - NO Micro wave food in this hotel!! We didn't have a bad meal at all.. The choices were good - believe me - I am very "fussy" over eating out! The waiting staff were like "worker bee's", all were Friendly, VERY, VERY EFFICIENT... & we never had to wait between courses. Our waiter Patrick, was so attentive & "boy" was he quick! He was like lightening!! He made our ' dining experience enjoyable each evening - A BIG Thank you Patrick...
The ' housekeeping ' staff were discreet but efficient & respected your ' privacy' too...
The evening entertainment seemed to be ok for those that stayed in the hotel. We had booked to go to 2 shows whilst we were there, so only got 2 nights entertainment. Not my choice of entertainment, but like I said - all in for the price... & my personal view only...
Yes... The Liberty is 'tired' in some-way's, but the decor was not what we went to look at! As long as We had some comforts & felt relaxed, that's all that bothered my husband & I ....
Overall .. We feel that this has been 'Excellent Value for money' & would recommend it to others who want to stay in this hotel for a short break.

Lastly.... We would like to say a Big Thankyou to the Staff at Bay Liberty's for such Excellent Service .... & also to the Coach drivers, who got us safely to our Destinations in the Heavy Snow...

• Stayed January 2013
7 Thank Loveabargainbreak
WOW thank you for the amazing posting, we all work so hard all year round to provide our guests with value for money holidays and after reading this review I am sure you will agree that is what we are providing. I will make sure all of the team get to read this and I am sure it will put that extra bounce in all our steps as we have another satisfied customer.
Best wishes and hope to see you again soon.

Russell and team
Hull
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to Blackpool in August for a cheap break and stayed at the Liberty hotel. Not the poshest place in town. the hotel was a little run down to say the least and the room was not the best in the hotel(right next to the stairs it was very noisy with the firedoor slamming every time people came up. However, the food was quite good and the staff on the whole were polite and friendly. Entertainment was not bad at all but the bar prices were at the top end. All in all this hotel with it's creaking floorboards is close to all amenities and the promanades, amusements and shops. We enjoyed our long weekend in blackpool pity about the rain well, it is not Spain is it?
Would we stay there again? Certainly not in that room it is necessary to ensure you get a good room with a sea view

Room Tip: rooms at the top floor with a sea view are the best we have stayed in one of these in 2009
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank percussionman
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for the posting, I will pass on your comments to the team especially the great comments about the staff being polite and friendly. Yes we are close to the town and all facilities Blackpool has to offer. You came for a (cheap break) and I can guarantee that is what you would have got so yes we would not be the Ritz but we do offer good clean accommodation with good food.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have just had the most amazing new years eve ever, and it is all down to the host Michael Hudson. His energy is enviable, he put 200% effort into the whole evening and more, and I would like to tell you that he made the event very special. Thanks also to his beautiful wife Angela for her kindness.
It could not have been easy for him to be working over this period and so i really do want to say a huge thank you to him and hope that you will pass the message on

Thank you Shearings for giving us the talented Michael Hudson. may he and his wife have a wonderful 2013

Jim

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
14 Thank Jim J
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Hi Jim J we are so glad you enjoyed your New Years Eve here in Blackpool. I know Michael will have already read the comments you have put on as he checks what our visitors post on a regular basis. I will however give him another pat on the back for the great work he puts in to keep us all smiling and happy. We hope you have a great 2013 also.
Russell and Michael
preston
Reviewed December 30, 2012

liberty is a nice change from the typical b&bs around blackpool

the weekend entertainment is realy good, the room isnt big but gets you close to the acs and is warm and freindly,

the food and service is exellant, for a shearings hotel. waited on and staff are very efficiant.

my room was adequate for my needs, it faced the small car park. bit dated and could do with a refurb. theres only one lift so be patient at meal times if you need it.

the hotels close to the beach, north peir and plenty of nightlife in a short walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank Billy G
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hi Billy G and thank you for your positive review after your recent stay with us. I will pass on your excellent comments to the team and we hope to see you again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Me my wife want short weekend away before Xmas decide to come Blackpool and seen this hotel and thout we try it out on first getting to hotel we new we had to pay for car parking witch we just put in the car across the road quick checking in on Friday we was up on the second floor witch of a nite you heard loads on creaking floors boards room was nice and light just orange walls look bit dirty and tried but we did not mind went down for dinner and was shown to table then witch was quick (Patrick who seat us ) food was very good then we had few drinks in the bar and then went out breakfast was very good the bacon was cooked prefect to what I like we went out for the day Xmas shopping :( got dragged around shops Shirley tolds us about the hounds hill witch was good then we went in for dinner I had the beef curry and was very nice so really understand the las comment but can't please every one my wife had fish was very nice went into bar few drink with vouchers we got but only 4 drink free and can't carry them over to next dayshame really michael on Saturday nite was great kids singing all tipes with them and few dance moves on check out was fast and quick will be booking up again in the new year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Jason201099
russell_bradshaw, Manager at Bay Liberty's on the Square Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you for such a great review after your recent stay with us. Your comments that you can’t please everyone are very true, people like different foods etc and all you can do is take any feedback into consideration and improve where you can. I’m pleased that you enjoyed the curry, we hope to see you again very soon.

Accrington
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Went with friends for a xmas weekend break, checked in quick went upto room. Room was large with a bay window but was absolutley freezing, turned radiator up and went down to the bar area.
Bar area nice but again found room to be cold. Upon going back upto room it had warmed up thank god. Bathroom could have been cleaner floor coming up from back of toilet, bat left a lot to be desired used the shower instead which was over the bath, quick shower and out.
Evening meal was crap. Breakfast was ok small portion but ok. Saturday night me and my husband went for the chefs special - BEEF CURRY - it never saw a curry it was beef chuncks (possibly out of tin) in gravy type sauce with rice one small mouthful saw me calling the waitress over to complain given the other options on the menu we went without.
Entertainment was good but not on long ended up going to bed at 11pm.
Could not sleep with people banging fire doors, singing etc and the bed was very hard and not at all comfortable not slept with sheets and blankets for years why have they not modernised and gone for duvets,
Room was dirty could have done with a good clean, bay window fithly, paint peeling from walls
Would not stop there again even it was free of charge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jelly28
I am very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Regarding your heating complaint the heating is on at prime times to ensure sufficient heating is on while guests are in and around the hotel which has not caused any problems in the past, had you informed us that you felt cold we would have made sure you were warm by supplying extra heating. If your room was not clean enough I would have liked the chance to discuss this with you, I am sure I could have rectified any problems you had with my housekeeping team. Regarding your comment about the curry we had 120 guests in and no one had a problem with this dish, as you can see from other recent trip advisor postings they praise the curry and say it was very nice. Take my advice if you have any problems with a future break please give the management a chance rectify these for you.

Kind Regards